10 posts / 0 new
Last post
RobinKidderminster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 27/05/2009 - 14:24
Posts: 2491
HDMI cable attributes

I don't want to start yet another cable debate but if the thread goes that way then I am sorry.

HDMI cables are given attributes such as deeper/less bass. Thin treble/bright. Solid midrange etc. Solid colours. Great contrast etc.

I would never be able to differentiate these minor differences (assuming they do exist) yet advertising and 'press' regularly make these judgements. Are my ears/eyes different to these professionals. I write this worrying aboit the credibility of these opinions if in this area then in others. I hesitate to press 'send' ....

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

 

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12867
RobinKidderminster wrote:I

RobinKidderminster wrote:

I don't want to start yet another cable debate but if the thread goes that way then I am sorry.


And exactly what other sort of way do you think this thread is going to go?

Quote:

HDMI cables are given attributes such as deeper/less bass. Thin treble/bright. Solid midrange etc. Solid colours. Great contrast etc.

I would never be able to differentiate these minor differences (assuming they do exist) yet advertising and 'press' regularly make these judgements. Are my ears/eyes different to these professionals. I write this worrying aboit the credibility of these opinions if in this area then in others. I hesitate to press 'send' ....

This is the sort of thing Max would "innocently" ask just to get his personal vendetta up and running again. Can't believe you asked this thinking it would end in anything other than a EDITEDstorm.

EDIT: whoops, that one slipped through somehow!

RobinKidderminster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 27/05/2009 - 14:24
Posts: 2491
RE: HDMI cable attributes

Fair comment Lhc.. :cry:

I guess my (poorly expressed) point is less to do with cables but more to do with the ability to see/hear what must be very small differences.

Regretting my post already.

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

 

spiny norman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 14/01/2009 - 12:49
Posts: 958
RE: HDMI cable attributes

RobinKidderminster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 27/05/2009 - 14:24
Posts: 2491
RE: HDMI cable attributes

Mmmm. That bad eh? 

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

 

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12867
RE: HDMI cable attributes

RobinKidderminster wrote:

Mmmm. That bad eh? 

Yes. You've been here 4 and half years, you know this already.

Tear Drop's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 23/04/2008 - 23:26
Posts: 486
RE: HDMI cable attributes

RobinKidderminster wrote:

I guess my (poorly expressed) point is less to do with cables but more to do with the ability to see/hear what must be very small differences.

 

Your post would be relevant in any part of the forum. This type of listening, let's call it critical listening, is merely a skill. The whole notion that some people have 'golden ears', or that hifi journos possess some gift which lesser mortals do not, is ridiculous. Critical listening, like any other skill, can be learned and developed, all it takes is time and the serious desire to do so.

RobinKidderminster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 27/05/2009 - 14:24
Posts: 2491
RE: HDMI cable attributes

Critical listening and critical vision seems like interesting skills to learn thanks.

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

 

abacus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 12 hours ago
Joined: 24/09/2008 - 23:16
Posts: 464
RE: HDMI cable attributes

All you need to know about HDMI cables is here http://www.hdmi.org/index.aspx the rest you read about can can ignored

Bill

seemorebtts's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 02/02/2013 - 10:37
Posts: 168
RE: HDMI cable attributes

i think hdmi do change colour and sound and you need to find the right hdmi for your system.it took 3 hdmi before i found the right one

Log in or register to post comments