8 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
(mis) understanding TV's & whether 50hz or 100hz
English

Hello All,

I have (after doing what I thought was some good research using what hi-fi) bought a Samsung UE46C6000 100hz TV. In HD & std the pictures are very good. The only thing I noticed was that when I pressed the "info" key on the remote it showed full hd but only 50hz & not 100hz. I checked the manual but could not see how to change this when watching sky sports in full hd & try to get 100 hz at the same time. I eventually called samsung & the chap on the helpdesk informed me that the Hertz setting comes from the device (ie sky receiver) & not the TV. So all the information that I gained that 100hz is much better because of the motion fluidity in sports & action films is rendered useless with sky as the sky receiver only uses 50hz. Have I misunderstood something here ? If I connect the PS3 I notice a change to 60hz but still not the full 100hz. What if any devices actually use 100hz & will I now not really get the benefit from this TV. Can anyone from what Hi-Fi help me as I am now confused about this.

Many thanks, Richard.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Re: (mis) understanding TV's & whether 50hz or 100hz

the 50 and 60 hz you are seeing displayed refers to the frame rate of the source ..ie 50 hz for sky (all euro tv in fact and euro spec dvd's) and 60hz for the ps3..this wont change and its irrelevant to whether or not you have 100hz engaged.. if you turn on 100hz on your tv then it will apply the conversion of the frame rate of the incoming source..but it will still read 50hz for tv and dvd's and 24p for blu-rays..

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Many thanks for that. So if I understand correctly that it is standard 50hz for all european TV's (from the source device), then whats the point in having a 100hz TV & all of the hype that goes with it, if you do not get the benefit from it?

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

you're confusing the source frame rate with the actual frame rate.. if the source is 50hz and you have the samsungs 100hz turned off then 50hz is what your seeing on the tv..if you turn on 100hz then you get a 100hz image, the tv converts it from 50 hz..

Andrew Everard's picture

As Max said, the TV is showing a readout of the input signal: the 100Hz system works by interpolating extra frames between each of the existing 50 frames, so you are getting the benefit. If you switch to a source using 60Hz scan rate, the TV will in fact be running at 120Hz.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Gents,

Thank you for your help. If I can put into laymans terms what you are telling me, although the source (sky hd receiver) is only 50hz, the TV does the rest & automatically converts to 100hz even though the info on the TV is 50hz. So in my case if I use my ps3 it shows 60hz on the info but in fact is using the max 100hz (or 120hz if I had a 200hz TV)? thanks for your help again, but as you can see I have managed to get myself confused in all of this.

Andrew Everard's picture

Almost: all correct except it'll take a 60Hz input up to 120Hz, even though it's only apparently a 100Hz set. Why? Because US/Japanese TV uses 60Hz, not 50Hz, and the TVs actually handle both - hence 100Hz here, 120Hz there.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

You of course have to have the 100htz system turned on (motion plus I think)

The best way to view the difference is on panning shots when the camera moves accross object that are not moving you should see much less judder/blur with the 100htz system on!