38 posts / 0 new
Last post
roym90's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/04/2011 - 10:42
Posts: 89
Adam ARTist actives

Has anyone heard a pair of speakers from this range?

I'd be quite interested in the 5s with a DAC at the other end for volume control and all the inputs.

Doesn't look like theres been much on here about them, but thanks in advance if anyone can comment on these.

altruistic.lemon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 hours ago
Joined: 25/07/2011 - 09:18
Posts: 1865
RE: Adam ARTist actives

I've heard the smallest of the Adam Artisit Actives, and thought it pretty good, certainly better than the Yamaha I compared it with but not as good as the Dynaudios - not unexpected, twice the size and price!

To be honest, I didn't think small actives had much if any benefit over amp/passives, but haven't heard the larger actives.

 

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 55 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3077
RE: Adam ARTist actives

The Artist 3 and 5 models are a fairly expensive way of buying entry level Adam monitors. You are paying a substantial premium for the look and finish and for the onboard usb dac. If the looks and/or the dac are important to you then fair enough, but if not the 'pro' A3x and A5x offer similar performance for less money.

Unlike Al in the earlier post, I think that such speakers are more than a match for coventional passive components at this price level, but then I am an active speaker user and Al is not, make of that what you will.

altruistic.lemon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 hours ago
Joined: 25/07/2011 - 09:18
Posts: 1865
RE: Adam ARTist actives

Are you really sure the pro Adam series are the same as the Artists? Their website says not.

Perhaps hold back on the jumping to conclusions, DDC, for that and your assumptions about whether I owned actives. I did. Not equal to the non-actives I replaced them with.

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 3791
RE: Adam ARTist actives

roym90 wrote:

Has anyone heard a pair of speakers from this range?

I haven't heard any speakers from the Artist range but I have heard a few from both their mid-range and expensive pro audio monitors. They all seemed pretty good to me.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 55 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3077
RE: Adam ARTist actives

altruistic.lemon wrote:

Are you really sure the pro Adam series are the same as the Artists? Their website says not.

Perhaps hold back on the jumping to conclusions, DDC, for that and your assumptions about whether I owned actives. I did. Not equal to the non-actives I replaced them with.

You really could start an argument in an empty room.

Firstly I did not say that the Artist and the A series were the same, read the post.

Secondly I am currently an active speaker user and you are not, that is all, no assumptions, no agenda.

 

altruistic.lemon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 hours ago
Joined: 25/07/2011 - 09:18
Posts: 1865
RE: Adam ARTist actives

OK JD. Post deleted.

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 22993
RE: Adam ARTist actives

Oh stop it the lot of you.

daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 45 min ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8339
RE: Adam ARTist actives

altruistic.lemon wrote:

davedotco wrote:

The Artist 3 and 5 models are a fairly expensive way of buying entry level Adam monitors. You are paying a substantial premium for the look and finish and for the onboard usb dac. If the looks and/or the dac are important to you then fair enough, but if not the 'pro' A3x and A5x offer similar performance for less money.

Unlike Al in the earlier post, I think that such speakers are more than a match for coventional passive components at this price level, but then I am an active speaker user and Al is not, make of that what you will.

Um - as I said, the website says different.

 

The website refers to  the older non x models not the AXs DDC is referring to, which funnily enough have the same X-Art tweeters as the Artists..

altruistic.lemon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 hours ago
Joined: 25/07/2011 - 09:18
Posts: 1865
RE: Adam ARTist actives

Um -that quote and the rest of my post I deleted. Any chance you could do the same?

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 1952
RE: Adam ARTist actives

Well, I'm getting a pair of Adam ARTist 3s on demo next week because I want something small for my office desk.

The premium you pay for the ARTist 3s over the AX-3s is about £170 (from memory). That pays for the built-in DAC and nicer finish, as far as I can see. 

I'll report back if anyone's vaguely interested.

The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves ...

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 55 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3077
RE: Adam ARTist actives

daveh75 wrote:

altruistic.lemon wrote:

davedotco wrote:

The Artist 3 and 5 models are a fairly expensive way of buying entry level Adam monitors. You are paying a substantial premium for the look and finish and for the onboard usb dac. If the looks and/or the dac are important to you then fair enough, but if not the 'pro' A3x and A5x offer similar performance for less money.

Unlike Al in the earlier post, I think that such speakers are more than a match for coventional passive components at this price level, but then I am an active speaker user and Al is not, make of that what you will.

Um - as I said, the website says different.

 

The website refers to  the older non x models not the AXs DDC is referring to, which funnily enough have the same X-Art tweeters as the Artists..

There are some suggestions in some quarters that the Artist series offer a slightly more relaxed presentation than the A series, if this is true then it is not something that I have noticed, though I have not done a direct comparison.

For this reason I chose the word similar, which apparantly means 'the same as' in some language or another, though not of course in English.

For what it is worth, the later 'x' models have been recieved well in the 'pro' area, generally considered to be a little more refined than their predecessors. I usually have a problem with any of the variants of the 'Air Motion Transformer' style of folded diaphragm tweeters but recent Adam designs have pretty much solved this problem for me.

For desktop use I think a small bass driver is sufficient if you are to avoid over doing the bass end. I have recently been trying the A3x as an upgrade to my Seiwins and they are superb on the desktop, particularly when used with the rubber wedge style stands. I f you wanr something to run directly off a computer the Artist 3 may be the answer, but if like me, you prefer an outboard dac the A3x is the better value.

ID.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 52 sec ago
Joined: 22/02/2010 - 13:12
Posts: 1422
RE: Adam ARTist actives

matt49 wrote:

Well, I'm getting a pair of Adam ARTist 3s on demo next week because I want something small for my office desk.

The premium you pay for the ARTist 3s over the AX-3s is about £170 (from memory). That pays for the built-in DAC and nicer finish, as far as I can see. 

I'll report back if anyone's vaguely interested.

Although the Japanese distributor doesn't seem to carry the ARTist range, I'd still be very interested in your impressions. The lack of grills and wooden finishes does put me off professional monitors a bit and it is something I'd pay a premium for. I'd certainly be looking at the ARTist range if I move back to Australia. Currently contemplating A7Xs, but trying to postpone any auditions for various reasons.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 55 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3077
RE: Adam ARTist actives

ID. wrote:

matt49 wrote:

Well, I'm getting a pair of Adam ARTist 3s on demo next week because I want something small for my office desk.

The premium you pay for the ARTist 3s over the AX-3s is about £170 (from memory). That pays for the built-in DAC and nicer finish, as far as I can see. 

I'll report back if anyone's vaguely interested.

Although the Japanese distributor doesn't seem to carry the ARTist range, I'd still be very interested in your impressions. The lack of grills and wooden finishes does put me off professional monitors a bit and it is something I'd pay a premium for. I'd certainly be looking at the ARTist range if I move back to Australia. Currently contemplating A7Xs, but trying to postpone any auditions for various reasons.

For what it is worth, the Adam A series occasionally appears in high gloss black finishes, though the sculpted front and lack of grill may still rule them out. At the moment Thomann have this....

 

http://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_a7x_glossy_black.htm

 

I have recently tried the tiny A3x as a replacement for my similarly sized Seiwins, mounted on my AudioEngine rubber stands they were cracking, could not really want for more on a desktop. Probably not going down that route but they were impressive. 

For Computer speakers the usb equipped Artist 3 would be a very tidy option but I like an outboard dac/headamp so I can use headphones.

roym90's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/04/2011 - 10:42
Posts: 89
RE: Adam ARTist actives

Thanks for all the replies.

Matt, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the 3s too. I had thought about getting them for a desktop but they seemed a bit too big and expensive. I have the Monitor Audio WS100 instead now.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 55 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3077
RE: Adam ARTist actives

roym90 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies.

Matt, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the 3s too. I had thought about getting them for a desktop but they seemed a bit too big and expensive. I have the Monitor Audio WS100 instead now.

A3x's are tiny, much smller than they look in the photos, front dimensions are just 10 by 6 inches, hard to imagine anything much smaller that would be worth listening too. Essentially the same size as my ultra cheap Studiospares/Seiwins, slightly different proportions though.

how a re you planning to drive them?

Pages

Log in or register to post comments