19 posts / 0 new
Last post
quadpatch's picture
RE: Beyerdynamic: DT880 Premium - 600ohm - review

It does look extremely well crafted and a massive amount of time spent on its presentation. It's either a huge love for headphones or a cheeky bit of marketting. Do you think that he doesn't actually own all those headphones. I think he is saying that he personally bought every single headphone and in some cases several times. 

I haven't read enough to know about copy and pasted info but the first one (worst) endeared me to it early because I also dislike that one (ATH-W5000).

dalethorn's picture

The main guys there made sure to clarify the advertising point, giving him full due for a personal review not tied to sales, at least not directly. My sense of it is that post would be a strong feature wherever they put it, so they're going to have to spend some serious time absorbing all of it and deciding how to take best advantage of it. They have a potential goldmine in this guy, and he's only 29(!) years old, so sky's the limit, eh? The only downside is, page #1 is 99 percent information-dense, then the next 5000 pages (by this time next month) will add essentially nothing. Too bad that moderators can't go back (I don't think) and insert a post #2 (bumping all the other posts down one position), which would say "We've carefully examined the next 500 or so pages and this single post (#2) contains the only useful information from those pages." - So call me cynical, but I like to serve my customers with documents that are info-dense so they don't get bored and cause trouble.

Edit: By the time I was 29 I probably bought at least 100 headphones, and some other expensive gear. But I never put so much money into one amp or music server setup etc. like that $40000 system of his. In the 1980's I purchased about $250k USD of computer gear, which brought in some great business and consulting fees, but I could never see putting that kind of money into a pile of electronic stuff just to sit at home while I'm spending most of my time working. That David guy is definitely in the right job.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

quadpatch's picture

Good points indeed. I must say it sent a shiver down my spine when I saw the cost of some of those bits of equipment!!

Pages