It's June, but on What Hi-fi? Sound and Vision, we're already thinking of October, writes Clare Newsome. Not because it might have actually stopped raining by then, but because that's when our Awards are presented.
As well as being out and about at CEDIA this week (see all the stories below), we've been poring over piles of Awards entry forms, which have arrived from an incredible range of manufacturers.
We've been drooling - though being careful not to smudge the ink - over details of all the exclusive new hi-fi, home cinema, MP3 and TV products that are going to be heading into our testing rooms over the next couple of months.
We'll be getting our hands on all the new big-name gear first, as manufacturers vie for one of our prestigious Awards, which can (and do) make or break products.
If you've not heard of our Awards before, or don't understand why they're so important, here's a bit of Friday-afternoon trumpet-blowing:
- What Hi-fi? Sound and Vision is the world’s No.1 home entertainment magazine, reaching more than a million readers worldwide through its nine international editions.
- All our product tests are conducted by a dedicated, independent team of expert reviewers in our world-leading suite of testing rooms.
- We test the widest range of consumer electronics products and accessories, from the smallest MP3 player via the entire worlds of hi-fi and home cinema to the largest flatscreen TV. Our Awards clearly communicate to you, the consumer, the very best in each of these product categories, price-banded to suit every budget.
- Every Awards contender – both new products submitted during the judging process, plus current class-leaders - is comparatively tested alongside its peers. No prior judgements, no second-guessing.
- The winners are revealed at a prestigious black-tie dinner on 2 October with the results embargoed until the publication of a special Awards edition of the magazine (on sale 18 October).
- Award winners are showcased at the What Hi-fi? Sound and Vision Show – in association with Stuff magazine – the UK’s largest consumer electronics event, held from 2-4 November at the London Novotel Hammersmith. www.whathifishow.co.uk