48 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2159
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

Today was Unison Research Unico Nuovo demo day! :grin: :grin: :grin:

review to follow...

 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2159
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

On Today menu is Pathos Classic One! 

 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12214
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

Initial thoughts?

Dirol :rockout:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2159
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

CnoEvil wrote:

Initial thoughts?

Dirol :rockout:

the amp has a faulty valve... :cry:  

Replacement will arrive next week, so will have the amp to look but not to listen as one of the channes is very noisy. 

But even like that the quality rises abouve, more open then the UR Unico...

will post the Unico Nuovo review.

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2159
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

 

after a demo at the shop dealer of the UR Unico Nuovo, I knew that I have to bring that "THING" to a home demo... And today was the day! All connections were made the amp turn on and we had to wait for a warming up period of 20/30 min.  I've put some tunes on, and from that moment I was locked in the Nuovo sound...
Source was Rega dac, this unit had no phono stage in, UR charge 150€ to have it, in my book is worth the extra coin. We played some Diana Krall Live Paris in the warm up and Nina Simone Sing the blues.  The sound was more open, smooth and detail, (it's funny, you don't need to have a sharp sound to have more detail) the UR is so natural sounding, even with the extra smoothness... (compared to Brio R, my comparisons will be always with the Brio R in mind) Adding the natural sound, is the space that UR creates in the sound stage, the imaging is more precise and the grip on the Dyns is widely heard, in all volume levels (the extra 45wpc are there for something) especially at low frequencies.
UR dealer was very pleased with the dyns, he didn't quite believe in his ears, he said constantly that Dynaudio made wonderful monitor speakers, and the X12 produce such heavy and controlled bass for their size.
We were all delight, including my wife, with the demo. Music after music, the UR and the Dyns seamed to be a special marriage.  Voices, pianos and unplugged guitars (viola) were played brilliantly, Antonio Forcione Live album from Naim Records, playing "I heard it through the grapevine" was the hight point of the session, we all just stood there, no word spoken and just set the pace with our foot.
The UR Unico Nuovo adds depth and layers of sound, Chris Jones "Roadhouses & Automobiles" and Allan Taylor "Colour of the moon" both albums from Stockfish Records were payed like i've never heard before, the voices gained new depth such a delight.  The worst came after, when the UR was turn off and storage, the dyns were connected to the Brio R again, and... My wife said, where our sound went?  And i said, were all the magic went?!
The UR really is a special amp, and after the Elicit R and the Linn Majik DSM, there were no space for doubts, to my ears and in my listening space UR Unico Nuovo rely comes on top of the other two.

 

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12214
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

I am truly pleased that you are looking over the fence at some of the wonderful brands that often get overlooked, due to the pull of a couple of award winners (good as they may be).

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2159
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

CnoEvil wrote:
I am truly pleased that you are looking over the fence at some of the wonderful brands that often get overlooked, due to the pull of a couple of award winners (good as they may be).

Thanks Cno! :grin:

the wife don't like the look of the Pathos... :? To be honest i like it! Dirol

the down point is i can't fit a phono stage...

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12214
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:
I am truly pleased that you are looking over the fence at some of the wonderful brands that often get overlooked, due to the pull of a couple of award winners (good as they may be).

Thanks Cno! :grin:

the wife don't like the look of the Pathos... :? To be honest i like it! Dirol

the down point is i can't fit a phono stage...

Once you hear the magic, it's hard to turn your back on......believe me, I know! :doh:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2159
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

CnoEvil wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:
I am truly pleased that you are looking over the fence at some of the wonderful brands that often get overlooked, due to the pull of a couple of award winners (good as they may be).

Thanks Cno! :grin:

the wife don't like the look of the Pathos... :? To be honest i like it! Dirol

the down point is i can't fit a phono stage...

Once you hear the magic, it's hard to turn your back on......believe me, I know! :doh:

did you had a Pathos and sell it...?

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12214
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:
I am truly pleased that you are looking over the fence at some of the wonderful brands that often get overlooked, due to the pull of a couple of award winners (good as they may be).

Thanks Cno! :grin:

the wife don't like the look of the Pathos... :? To be honest i like it! Dirol

the down point is i can't fit a phono stage...

Once you hear the magic, it's hard to turn your back on......believe me, I know! :doh:

did you had a Pathos and sell it...?

I'm talking about the MF AMS 35i, which I borrowed for a home dem, but returned as I thought the price was a step too far....but the amp had got under my skin, and I missed it every time I put on some music. When the dealer made me an offer 8 months later, I could no longer resist. :doh:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2159
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

CnoEvil wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:
I am truly pleased that you are looking over the fence at some of the wonderful brands that often get overlooked, due to the pull of a couple of award winners (good as they may be).

Thanks Cno! :grin:

the wife don't like the look of the Pathos... :? To be honest i like it! Dirol

the down point is i can't fit a phono stage...

Once you hear the magic, it's hard to turn your back on......believe me, I know! :doh:

did you had a Pathos and sell it...?

I'm talking about the MF AMS 35i, which I borrowed for a home dem, but returned as I thought the price was a step too far....but the amp had got under my skin, and I missed it every time I put on some music. When the dealer made me an offer 8 months later, I could no longer resist. :doh:

Thats the spirit! :grin:

I think that this amp for 850€ is a no brainer!!! And I can think in a near future of a UnitiQute as a source...

lets face it Cno less 1400€ that the retail price...

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12214
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

I think that this amp for 850€ is a no brainer!!! And I can think in a near future of a UnitiQute as a source...

lets face it Cno less 1400€ that the retail price...

I think you are right, though imo, you should also consider a Sneaky DS (as a source) as well.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16367
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

CnoEvil wrote:
I am truly pleased that you are looking over the fence at some of the wonderful brands that often get overlooked, due to the pull of a couple of award winners (good as they may be).

Please forgive me, Cno. I've mentioned this so many times that I'm changing my username to 'deja vu'. :rockout:

Totally agree that looking over the fence is fantastic. However, usually, in southern England, when one looks over that wooden partition there's little more than weed.

These lesser names are only lesser because, in the main, they have crummy distribution.

Solution? no idea, I'm afraid.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12214
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

plastic penguin wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:
I am truly pleased that you are looking over the fence at some of the wonderful brands that often get overlooked, due to the pull of a couple of award winners (good as they may be).

Please forgive me, Cno. I've mentioned this so many times that I'm changing my username to 'deja vu'. :rockout:

Totally agree that looking over the fence is fantastic. However, usually, in southern England, when one looks over that wooden partition there's little more than weed.

These lesser names are only lesser because, in the main, they have crummy distribution.

Solution? no idea, I'm afraid.

It's down to research, priorities, determination and a willingness (ability) to travel........though FWIW. HFO is in a different country, with local access to these interesting brands.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16367
RE: Amplifier upgrade journey.

CnoEvil wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:
I am truly pleased that you are looking over the fence at some of the wonderful brands that often get overlooked, due to the pull of a couple of award winners (good as they may be).

Please forgive me, Cno. I've mentioned this so many times that I'm changing my username to 'deja vu'. :rockout:

Totally agree that looking over the fence is fantastic. However, usually, in southern England, when one looks over that wooden partition there's little more than weed.

These lesser names are only lesser because, in the main, they have crummy distribution.

Solution? no idea, I'm afraid.

It's down to research, priorities, determination and a willingness (ability) to travel........though FWIW. HFO is in a different country, with local access to these interesting brands.

Yup, HFO lives in Portugal, nevertheless there's still a dearth of certain brands, and in the main is patchy.

Still maintain these so-called smaller brands need to be more accessible.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Pages

Log in or register to post comments