Have your say & ask the experts!

What vinyl are you listening to?

5463 replies [Last post]
stevebrock's picture
RE: What vinyl are you listening to?

Jim-W wrote:

So sorry that steve's amp didn't work out after his patience and good Rega support. What a nightmare. 

Agree with Charlie about 'Dog Eat Dog' - those bloody drums. Very much a lesser affair, I think. Love 'Copper Blue' and 'Zen Arcade.'

Today:

The Harvest Bag-Harvest label sampler.

The Pentangle-Solomon's Seal. 

Lush-Spooky

Lush-Split. I still think Lush were massively underrated. This is one of the greatest albums of the 90's. Great guitars and how can you not be in love with Mikki. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ccElDZUTpQ

Crikey mate

Lush were well underated

Ive got Gala & Spooky

Think Gala was all the eps together

Brilliant guitars - sadly only have them on CD, still good though

Listening:

Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward

Icon Audio ST40 III / KT88, Rega Apollo R, DAC, RS3

Rega RP6, Nagaoka MP-200, White Belt, Michell Tecnoweight, Rega Fono MM

Rega Quattro, Couple 1 & 2

jimbofisher's picture

Also have Lush - Split, but only on cd.

Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long, See You Tomorrow 

The Beatles - Number 1s

Bellowhead - Broadside

Cannonball Adderley and John Coltrane - Quintet In Chicago

Rega Planar 2 (Inspire Quest upgrade) with Nagaoka MP-150 cartridge, into Graham Slee Era Gold V

Arcam cd73, Squeezebox Touch fed by 2t Vortexbox, CD and Touch into Rega Dac, Arcam A80, Mission 773se Speakers

stevebrock's picture

Jimbo, How is that Nag breaking in mate?

jimbofisher's picture

Going very well, combined with the Era Gold getting great detail with a nice warm sound. It had broken in well before I added the Era Gold and was a real step up, the Era Gold takes it to the next level.

Rega Planar 2 (Inspire Quest upgrade) with Nagaoka MP-150 cartridge, into Graham Slee Era Gold V

Arcam cd73, Squeezebox Touch fed by 2t Vortexbox, CD and Touch into Rega Dac, Arcam A80, Mission 773se Speakers

Marvindodgers's picture

Pat Benatar - Best Shots

ABBA - Voulez Vous

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes

Rega P3/Elys2, Pioneer A400, Kef Q15, Pro-ject Head Box S, Denon DCM-480, Yamaha KX580, Sonos Connect, Sony MDS-JE530.

An inevitable conclusion to my booze and vinyl afternoon-evening. 

Records sleeves scattered across the floor, spilled booze and the arm of the player stuck loudly in the end groove of Katy Lied by Steely Dan. 3am eternal. 

Prior to that I remember playing:

Meddle - Pink Floyd

I saw it listed on someone else's playlist and thought I'd bring it out of it's thirty year hibernation. 

Way better than I remembered. First track, side one sounded like a template for Neu's signature sound. 

Bad - Michael Jackson

Hats.  - The Blue Nile

Another oft-mentioned LP here. Bought it when it came out but rarely play it. It's too much a case of SQ and style over content for me, I'm afraid.

Live Rust, Time Fades Away and On The Beach - Neil Young

Is there a sadder sounding guitar break than the one on On The Beach's title track? Brought tears of remembrance to my eyes. Or was that the booze?

Roksan Caspian Pre amp, Caspian Mono Power amp x 2, NAD M51 DAC, B&W 805 Signature, Roksan Radius turntable, Denon-1713UD, MF phono & headphone amps, PS3, Mac/AE/Apple TV

Charlie Jefferson wrote:

Records sleeves scattered across the floor, spilled booze and the arm of the player stuck loudly in the end groove of Katy Lied by Steely Dan. 3am eternal. 

Steely Dan would do that to me too, no drink needed.

LOUNGE:  Panasonic TX-P50GT50 (is poorly) / Panasonic DMP-BDT120 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Dali Zensor 3 (front) / Dali Zensor Vokal (centre) / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition (rear) / Q Acoustics1000Si (sub) / Roksan Radius 5.2 / Ortofon Super OM20 Cartridge / Sky HD / WD My Book Live 2TB / Seagate Expansion 2TB / Nintendo Wii / Tacima CS-929 

BEDROOM:  Samsung LE32C450 / Sony BDP-S360 / Echostar HDS-600RS / Netgear WNCE2001

Starting with Five Leaves Left.

LOUNGE:  Panasonic TX-P50GT50 (is poorly) / Panasonic DMP-BDT120 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Dali Zensor 3 (front) / Dali Zensor Vokal (centre) / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition (rear) / Q Acoustics1000Si (sub) / Roksan Radius 5.2 / Ortofon Super OM20 Cartridge / Sky HD / WD My Book Live 2TB / Seagate Expansion 2TB / Nintendo Wii / Tacima CS-929 

BEDROOM:  Samsung LE32C450 / Sony BDP-S360 / Echostar HDS-600RS / Netgear WNCE2001

House Of Love

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Charlie Jefferson wrote:

That's another thing you have in common with Mrs CJ. A loathing of Becker, Fagen and Zimmerman. 

Sounds like the ultimate Dickensian law firm. 

Roksan Caspian Pre amp, Caspian Mono Power amp x 2, NAD M51 DAC, B&W 805 Signature, Roksan Radius turntable, Denon-1713UD, MF phono & headphone amps, PS3, Mac/AE/Apple TV

Charlie Jefferson wrote:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Charlie Jefferson wrote:

That's another thing you have in common with Mrs CJ. A loathing of Becker, Fagen and Zimmerman. 

Sounds like the ultimate Dickensian law firm. 

excellent!

I had no idea Boris Becker had made an album; you live and learn.

stevebrock's picture

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

mmmmm Laughing Stock.......i hope it grows on me!

The second House of Love LP with Shine On

ifor's picture

Spike - Elvis Costello

Source 1) "Inspired" Manticore Mantra turntable c/w Rega RB 301 arm, Goldring 1042 MM Cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage, Graham Slee CuSat 50 interconnect

Source 2) Cyrus CD8 SE CD player

Source 3) iTunes (ALAC), iMac, Devolo Homeplugs, Apple TV3, Toslink, Arcam rDAC

Source 4) Technics SL-7 linear tracking turntable.

Roksan Kandy L3 amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

Other rooms: more Airport Expresses and Homeplugs with Denon AV system and Denon Mini system. 

stevebrock wrote:

mmmmm Laughing Stock.......i hope it grows on me!

It just shades it for me over SOE, so give it a few more whirls.

Just side one in the end,. First time I've played it, but there was some interesting stuff on there, and some less interesting stuff too.

Now playing side two of this:-