24 posts / 0 new
Last post
The_Lhc's picture
CJSF wrote:Well now . . . I

CJSF wrote:
Well now . . . I have recently put a thread up; 'something realy new' . . . not new at all, but in the context of medern hifi it dont get much of an airing.  'Full rang drivers/speakers', eliminates 'all' the electronics in the speaker cabinet, nothing between amp and driver, (other than cable) no fussing about the amount of power required from you amp to drive the speaker . . .

Hmm, I understand the advantage of eliminating the crossover but in what way does it also mean you no longer have to worry about the power of the amplifier?  Unknw

CJSF's picture
The_Lhc wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

CJSF wrote:
Well now . . . I have recently put a thread up; 'something realy new' . . . not new at all, but in the context of medern hifi it dont get much of an airing.  'Full rang drivers/speakers', eliminates 'all' the electronics in the speaker cabinet, nothing between amp and driver, (other than cable) no fussing about the amount of power required from you amp to drive the speaker . . .

Hmm, I understand the advantage of eliminating the crossover but in what way does it also mean you no longer have to worry about the power of the amplifier?  Unknw

Usualy? . . . full range drive units are very efficient.  Commonly used by audiophiles that favour valve amps, valve amps often dont give the 'power' of SS amps.  My own amplifier for instance delivers 20w in my prefered triod mode.

I'm thinking, some of the less powerful SS amps would have an easier time instead of being driven to with in an inch of their life and into clipping?

CJSF

The_Lhc's picture
CJSF wrote:

CJSF wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

CJSF wrote:

Usualy? . . . full range drive units are very efficient. 

Oh right, I've never seen a full-range speaker other than the Eclipse things, which aren't really full range from what I can tell.

CJSF's picture
The_Lhc wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

CJSF wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

CJSF wrote:

Oh right, I've never seen a full-range speaker other than the Eclipse things, which aren't really full range from what I can tell.

90db to say 96db is quite normal, I believe Lowther full range units can be 100db? . . . the one I'm looking at hapens to be the coockoo in the nest at 86db . . . but then, I never do things the easy way, my curent PMC speakers are 87db and my amp copes ok, so i'm not to bothered.  There is more to the cabinet design that will help out here?

Sorry, off topic, see my thread.

The_Lhc's picture
CJSF wrote:

CJSF wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

CJSF wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

CJSF wrote:

90db to say 96db is quite normal, I believe Lowther full range units can be 100db? . . .

Oh I see, a bit like some of those horn speakers that people claim to run off of tube amps running a couple of Watts, I'm with you, very interesting...

CJSF's picture
The_Lhc wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

CJSF wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

CJSF wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

CJSF wrote:

90db to say 96db is quite normal, I believe Lowther full range units can be 100db? . . .

Oh I see, a bit like some of those horn speakers that people claim to run off of tube amps running a couple of Watts, I'm with you, very interesting...

That is it The_Lhc, you have got it, spot on, folded horns in a box . . . the amplifier does not have to break its neck, its does its relaxed job efficiently, nothing in the way and let the speaker do the 'passive' job it is designed to do . . . ?

CJSF

MaxD's picture
respe wrote:

respe wrote:

the change in sound is as much down to mastering as it is to vinyl weight, I have a number of 70's original albums, that I have duplicated with modern remastered versions. While not in all cases, but in the majority, I prefer the original wafer thin vinyl edition. It could be because I am used to the sound, but I think that a number of the remasters may have a ''cleaner'' sound, but have lost some the rythme and energy of the originals.,

+ 1. I had an identical experience.

Writer and musician based in Roma, Italia - Pro-ject Debut Carbon 2M Red Technics SL-521 Goldring 2100 ION ITUSB NAD D3020 Rotel RA-12 Philips cd Dragonfly 1.2 Nakamichi 550 MA BX2 Dali Zensor 3 Grado SR80i Superlux HD668B Sennheiser HD201

iMark's picture
Illusion of quality?

I think I tend to agree with Waxy. The biggest improvement with new pressings over old ones is the fact that they're not mass-produced in long production runs and that 'virgin' vinyl is used.

I have inherited hundreds of classical records from the 1960's through to the 1980's and most of them still sound excellent, due to the fact that classical records were never pressed in extremely long production runs. To a point 180g and 200g records are a gimmick. I'm pretty sure the same records would sound wonderful as 100g or 120g vinyls. 

What I find particularly annoying is the fact that when you buy a new 180g record, it doesn't even come in an anti-static sleeve. How stupid is that?

The only real comparision between an original pressing from the 1980's and a brand new remastered one I have been able to make is Paul Simon's Graceland. The new pressing does sound wonderful, probably due to the very good vinyl used in the pressing. On our equipment it sounds much better than the remastered CD, which suffers from Dynamic Range Compression.

Yamaha R-S500, Infinity Overture 1, Cambridge Audio DACMagic, Sony KDL 40HX750, Humax iHDR 5200c, Sony BDP-S590, Pro-Ject 1Xpression III Comfort, Sony MDS-JE 520, Apple Airport Express, Apple Mac Mini (2013), Atacama Eris Eco 5.0

Pages