15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mikejekel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 30/12/2011 - 13:50
Posts: 4
Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

Hi,

I am listening to my current set-up for a bit over a year now. I am reasonably happy with it but I would like to see if it could be better. I wonder if the brio's 50 wpc is enough to drive the dyns to the full potential. Then there's the humming and sometimes brightness. Also the Apple TV only supports 48 kHz so it is upscaling. 

 

Can I replace the brio, dac and Apple TV by the rotel ra12 without losing functionality and increase sound quality? This way I have digital input, mm input, add 10 wpc and pre-out for future upgrade possibility. I do not really understand how the Bluetooth works. Can I stream via airplay from iPhone to rotel?

 

thanks for helping out. 

 

unsleepable's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 25/12/2013 - 15:10
Posts: 266
RE: Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

Mikejekel wrote:

Hi,

I am listening to my current set-up for a bit over a year now. I am reasonably happy with it but I would like to see if it could be better. I wonder if the brio's 50 wpc is enough to drive the dyns to the full potential. Then there's the humming and sometimes brightness. Also the Apple TV only supports 48 kHz so it is upscaling. 

Can I replace the brio, dac and Apple TV by the rotel ra12 without losing functionality and increase sound quality? This way I have digital input, mm input, add 10 wpc and pre-out for future upgrade possibility. I do not really understand how the Bluetooth works. Can I stream via airplay from iPhone to rotel?

thanks for helping out. 

I wouldn't be concerned about the Apple TV. It doesn't seem to suffer from jitter issues as some as some of the Airport Express models. Also, I've read reviews according to which they were not able to hear differences due to the frequency upscaling. And actually, Peachtree recommends it as a streaming solution. So unless you'd like to play higher-resolution music, I think I would say it's an excellent solution.

And the Rotel RA-12 only supports Bluetooth for streaming, right? If you intend to use that protocol, it will definitely be a lower quality solution.

Arcam irDac • Arcam FMJ A19 • Arcam FMJ P38 • Kef R100

Leeps's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 10/12/2012 - 18:43
Posts: 308
RE: Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

I'm no expert on this, but my understanding is that if you own Apple products, then Airplay rather than Bluetooth ought to be the higher quality wireless streaming method.  Bluetooth at its best requires that your phone/tablet supports the AptX standard. My ipad supports Bluetooth, but not the higher quality AptX, which is why I was drawn to Airplay.

Bluray: Pioneer BDP-450; TV: Panasonic TX-P42G30B; AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX-2021; Speakers: MA Radius R270HD/R250HD/R90HD/R370HD; Spotify>iPad>Airplay

unsleepable's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 25/12/2013 - 15:10
Posts: 266
RE: Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

Even when both source and receiver support apt-X, AirPlay is still a better protocol for audio.

Arcam irDac • Arcam FMJ A19 • Arcam FMJ P38 • Kef R100

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2273
RE: Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

Hi,

 

i feel really comfortable to talk about the "brightness" in your system, i had exactly the same system, Brio R/Rega DAC/X12/ATV3 for Spotify through ipad2.

First and before spending any unecessary money, you should try to change speaker cables, i've demo a dozen and always had the best results with cooper cables, deno 1 or two before spending money on new gear.

Rega Brio R and X12 really don't get along with silver cables and some times you may fell brightness in your system.

 

 

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

CarlDW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 29/12/2011 - 20:57
Posts: 191
RE: Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

I don't believe that the Rotel is going to be an improvement over the Brio-R, the Rega is a more musical amplifier.

Also you will only be able to stream to the Rotel via Bluetooth, and not Apple Airplay.

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2273
RE: Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

CarlDW wrote:

I don't believe that the Rotel is going to be an improvement over the Brio-R, the Rega is a more musical amplifier.

Also you will only be able to stream to the Rotel via Bluetooth, and not Apple Airplay.

thats true as well, i've upgrated the brio R for a Pathos Classic one, now i'm extracting every bit of the Dyns X12.

the Brio R is a wounderful amp, it can drive the Dyns very well, even at low volumes, but if you want a real up grade you have to step up a little bit in the food chain. You have to look for amps with more 20/30 wpc.

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

Mikejekel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 30/12/2011 - 13:50
Posts: 4
RE: Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

Hi guys,

 

thanks for the replies. I now realize that using the rotel for streaming over the atv is compromising on sound quality. Still leaves the option of replacing brio+dac by the ra12 and keeping the atv for streaming. Gives me the extra wpc and the pre out. 

 

Then you say rega will beat the rotel on sq so I would need to do ab demo to find out. 

 

@hifi outlaw, I believe despite the name the silverscreen is actually a copper cable. What cable worked out for you in the end?

 

thanks again.  

Mikejekel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 30/12/2011 - 13:50
Posts: 4
RE: Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

Btw, I don't want to spend a lot of money here. I believe I can sell the dac and brio for the price of a new rotel ra12

 

@hifi outlaw, I know you used to have the same set-up. It was the reason for me checking the x12 in the first place. I also read your thread on replacing the brio and the demo's you have done. That's what got me thinking again. This time without spending the same amount of money though.

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2273
RE: Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

The cables that i've ended with are Inakustik LS1108, but they do have a new range now.

what filter do you use in Rega DAC? I find the 3 with more bass and not so edgy. 

Try to find another cooper cable, demo some more brands if you can, i think you will not regret it.

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 12 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 3964
RE: Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CarlDW wrote:

I don't believe that the Rotel is going to be an improvement over the Brio-R, the Rega is a more musical amplifier.

Also you will only be able to stream to the Rotel via Bluetooth, and not Apple Airplay.

thats true as well, i've upgrated the brio R for a Pathos Classic one, now i'm extracting every bit of the Dyns X12.

the Brio R is a wounderful amp, it can drive the Dyns very well, even at low volumes, but if you want a real up grade you have to step up a little bit in the food chain. You have to look for amps with more 20/30 wpc.

in other words you need a valve amp to take the edginess off that Brio R

 

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

 

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2273
RE: Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

stevebrock wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CarlDW wrote:

I don't believe that the Rotel is going to be an improvement over the Brio-R, the Rega is a more musical amplifier.

Also you will only be able to stream to the Rotel via Bluetooth, and not Apple Airplay.

thats true as well, i've upgrated the brio R for a Pathos Classic one, now i'm extracting every bit of the Dyns X12.

the Brio R is a wounderful amp, it can drive the Dyns very well, even at low volumes, but if you want a real up grade you have to step up a little bit in the food chain. You have to look for amps with more 20/30 wpc.

in other words you need a valve amp to take the edginess off that Brio R

 

I think that the OP don't need such "radical" move, a simple cable change might work perfectly, worked for me! And not only in the uper treble, it did change the bass contrlole over the Dyns, giving the impression that more power were reaching the Dyns, I reamember writing that some where in here.

 

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

Mikejekel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 30/12/2011 - 13:50
Posts: 4
RE: Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

Never heard any valves but that sounds like something for a future upgrade path. 

 

These speaker cables you mention hifi outlaw, I can only find them for 500,- eur. Seems a bit too much. 

 

I think i just need to ab test both configurations. When they are equal, I think I will go for the rotel option since that offers the possibility to upgrade to a pre power configuration. I expect to sell the rega combo for the price of the rotel. 

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2273
RE: Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

I was not suggesting that you got the same cables i did, i was suggesting that before spending your money in a new amp you should try some different cables in your system, before speanding money in a new amp.

Rega Brio R and Dynaudio loud speaker are very sensible to different cables.

In my opinion the Rotel will not favour the X12,it is not warm as the Brio R and will only accentuate your problem...

it's your money... 

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

CarlDW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 29/12/2011 - 20:57
Posts: 191
RE: Rega brio-R + Rega DAC vs Rotel RA12

I agree. Personally the Rotel is a sideways move (maybe even a downgrade sound wise).

Log in or register to post comments