30 posts / 0 new
Last post
BigH's picture
Online
Last seen: 21 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3847
CD transport
English

I would like to demo some cd transports but don't know many apart from the Cyrus 6SE2, can you suggest any others upto about £800.

richardw42's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 02/05/2010 - 18:56
Posts: 2007
RE: CD transport

Musical Fidelity M1 CDT. 

 

Do you really need to spend that much. What are you putting it into ?

BigH's picture
Online
Last seen: 21 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3847
RE: CD transport

Thanks for the MF.

 

Do I need to spend that much? Well that is why I need to try a few to test the difference between a decent transport and my old Marantz 63SE cd player and a Sony Blu-Ray DVD player. It will be going into a DAC either a Rega or Cyrus/Musical Fid. or into an AVI AMD9RSS.

 

I believe my dealer has both the Cyrus and Musical Fid in stock.

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 4083
RE: CD transport

try an Apollo R?? I did and i think it sounds great!

 

Michell Gyrodec, RB303, Benz Micro Ace H, Icon Audio ST40 w/KT88s, PS1 Phono, Kudos X2, Rega Apollo R, DAC

 

 

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16446
RE: CD transport

stevebrock wrote:

try an Apollo R?? I did and i think it sounds great!

 

...or even find out if there are still any NOS Rega Apollos (pre 'R' version) you could pick up for a discount.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

BigH's picture
Online
Last seen: 21 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3847
RE: CD transport

Thanks I will be trying the Rega anyway, their whole system, just wanted a few ideas for transport only as the integrated player has a dac in it so seems a bit of a waste of money having 2 dacs in the system.

 

Prob. start with Marantz 6004cd, Rega Amp, Rega RS1 speakers. Then add a Rega DAC, then change cd to Rega.

 

I see my dealer does not do Cyrus but they have MF.

Electro's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 30/03/2011 - 11:34
Posts: 1395
RE: CD transport RE: CD transport

What about one of these Little dot transports from china , they use a good Philips mech and seem well built at £224 including postage .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Little-Dot-CDP-I-CDP-1-CDP1-CD-Transport-with-Remote-Control-digital-display-/180729428720?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2a14503af0

if you scroll down to the pictures there is a de-constructed one to look at .

They have some good feedback from users on other forums so it might be worth investigating Smile

 Electrocompaniet EMC 1 UP , Monarchy Audio DIP, Electrocompaniet ECD 1 dac , EC4.8 preamp , 2x AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers . Thousands of Cd's .

BigH's picture
Online
Last seen: 21 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3847
RE: CD transport RE: CD transport

Electro wrote:

What about one of these Little dot transports from china , they use a good Philips mech and seem well built at £224 including postage .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Little-Dot-CDP-I-CDP-1-CDP1-CD-Transport-with-Remote-Control-digital-display-/180729428720?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2a14503af0

if you scroll down to the pictures there is a de-constructed one to look at .

They have some good feedback from users on other forums so it might be worth investigating Smile

I was looking at Little Dot yesterday but problem is you can't hear them first and if it goes wrong you have to send it back to China I believe?

 

Electro's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 30/03/2011 - 11:34
Posts: 1395
RE: CD transport RE: CD transport

Yes that is the down side of these Chinese products .

Failing that I would recommend any transport or cd player that uses the Philips CD pro 2 mechanism, it is one of the best and most reliable transport mechanisms ever made .

 Electrocompaniet EMC 1 UP , Monarchy Audio DIP, Electrocompaniet ECD 1 dac , EC4.8 preamp , 2x AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers . Thousands of Cd's .

BigH's picture
Online
Last seen: 21 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3847
RE: CD transport RE: CD transport

Electro wrote:

Yes that is the down side of these Chinese products .

Failing that I would recommend any transport or cd player that uses the Philips CD pro 2 mechanism, it is one of the best and most reliable transport mechanisms ever made .

 

But was that not the problem Cyrus had with their cd transport a few years ago?

Electro's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 30/03/2011 - 11:34
Posts: 1395
RE: CD transport RE: CD transport

No the Philips Cd pro 2  is a top loading mechanism and as far as I know has never been used by Cyrus .

It is usually found in very good quality transports and cd players and commercial players found in recording studio's and even the commercial juke box machines found in pubs etc because it is so reliable and strong .

http://www.armoniahifi.com/EN/CD1.html

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/Philips_cdm12_cdm-Pro/

The Musical fidelity A1 cd pro uses this mech .

 

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/cd-dvd-blu-ray/62-cd-reviews/189-musical-fidelity-a1-cd.html

 

 Electrocompaniet EMC 1 UP , Monarchy Audio DIP, Electrocompaniet ECD 1 dac , EC4.8 preamp , 2x AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers . Thousands of Cd's .

BigH's picture
Online
Last seen: 21 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3847
RE: CD transport RE: CD transport

Electro wrote:

No the Philips Cd pro 2  is a top loading mechanism and as far as I know has never been used by Cyrus .

It is usually found in very good quality transports and cd players and commercial players found in recording studio's and even the commercial juke box machines found in pubs etc because it is so reliable and strong .

http://www.armoniahifi.com/EN/CD1.html

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/Philips_cdm12_cdm-Pro/

The Musical fidelity A1 cd pro uses this mech .

 

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/cd-dvd-blu-ray/62-cd-reviews/189-musical-fidelity-a1-cd.html

 

 

OK thanks for explaining, I will be checking out MF, does the Rega use the same Philips?

Electro's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 30/03/2011 - 11:34
Posts: 1395
RE: CD transport RE: CD transport

I think Rega use Sanyo and Sony mechanisms , as far as I know they have not used the Philips Cd pro .

Here is a list of most manufacturers and which transport mech's they use .

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/

 Electrocompaniet EMC 1 UP , Monarchy Audio DIP, Electrocompaniet ECD 1 dac , EC4.8 preamp , 2x AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers . Thousands of Cd's .

El Hefe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 21/06/2008 - 02:32
Posts: 1024
RE: CD transport

When you try the MF CDT, request for it to be connected to a DAC via both the coaxial and AES/EBU and compare them.

BronC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 days ago
Joined: 26/06/2010 - 08:11
Posts: 99
RE: CD transport

BigH wrote:

Thanks for the MF.

 

Do I need to spend that much? Well that is why I need to try a few to test the difference between a decent transport and my old Marantz 63SE cd player and a Sony Blu-Ray DVD player. It will be going into a DAC either a Rega or Cyrus/Musical Fid. or into an AVI AMD9RSS.

 

I believe my dealer has both the Cyrus and Musical Fid in stock.

If you notice a significant imrovement then i would suggest buying a better 2nd hand version of the cyrus transport.  You should be able to pick up a good 2nd hand Cyrus CD XT SE 2 (their top CD transport)  for that type of money

datay's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 19/11/2008 - 12:27
Posts: 304
RE: CD transport

BigH wrote:

I would like to demo some cd transports but don't know many apart from the Cyrus 6SE2, can you suggest any others upto about £800.

The CD6SE2 isn't a transport, it's a full player. The CD T is Cyrus's entry-level transport, in your budget; the CDXTSE2 as already mentioned is the much more expensive version, takes external power supply as optional.

Musical Fidelity M1 CDT is around the same price if not slightly less. You'd have to audition to establish any SQ differences, especially with your own dac.

Heed do a CD transport but I think it's north of £1k. Little Dot as mentioned are much cheaper and lots of user reviews if you google.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments