32 posts / 0 new
Last post
plastic penguin's picture
Denon TU-260L
English

Anyone got this tuner? if so what is it like? Seen them on ebay for about £30 - i know they were a budget tuner (and well thought of I believe).

My old Marantz looks as if it has finally given up the ghost. Crying  

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Re: Denon TU-260L

...Or does anyone know whether it is signal-hungry? It's important, because signal reception in my area is notoriously hit 'n' miss.

Torres09's picture

PP, i had one of these for approx 15 years, they were out in the early 90's IIRC,     just sold it last year for ?25-aaahhhhh

Served me well and never had any trouble with it, god, i just remember now in the days before SKY and the Premer League i'd bring me can of coke and mars bar to my room and listen to BBC Radio 5 Live......those were the days

Sorry PP, cant upload pics of mine-doh

John Duncan's picture

I have the MK2, and it's fantastic. Chebby had the Mk1 recently (and got it for 10 quid if I recall)

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

John Duncan's picture

Though tbh, for the price of them you might as well just buy one and find out - if it's not what you want, sell it again...

EDIT - especially if it's the one that went for 99p recently. Look at the recent sales, they range from 99p to 30 quid. Time it right and you'll get a cheap one. If you don't get that one, try the next one.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

blakenhall's picture

I also have the MK2 and agree with JohnDuncan in saying that it is fantastic. It was purchased from ebay for £34 about 12 months ago, it had been well looked after and was in mint condition. I live in North Staffordshire and have a large 5 element FM aerial in the loft pointing towards Sutton Coldfield, it is connected directly to the plug/tuner, no wall sockets, using Satellite grade cable - signal quality is superb on the majority of stations. Go For It!

JohnDuncan:Though tbh, for the price of them you might as well just buy one and find out - if it's not what you want, sell it again... EDIT - especially if it's the one that went for 99p recently. Look at the recent sales, they range from 99p to 30 quid. Time it right and you'll get a cheap one. If you don't get that one, try the next one.

Understandable, however, we have hi-fi components and bits 'n' bobs crawling out of the woodwork.... Big Smile

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I had the Denon TU-260L MK2 and it was a brilliant tuner. Highly recommended. Yes

ValianTX:I had the Denon TU-260L MK2 and it was a brilliant tuner. Highly recommended. Yes

Cool! nice one, Valian

JoelSim's picture

I can honestly say in 20+ years I've never heard a bad word about them.

Director

www.musictoyourears.co.uk

System: Unison Research Unico CDE, Leema Tucana 2, Kudos C2, AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio Young Guru.

chebby's picture

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Andrew Everard's picture

See, even Chebby doesn't have a bad word for the tuner... Stick out tongue

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

hahahaha...that was funny! Angel

chebby's picture

Sorry. The system 'ate' my text when I pressed 'post' and I did not get around to re-typing it.

Anyway....  the Denon TU-260L was ok. For a tenner it was very good.

I gave it away (when I bought my present tuner) so even better value for the new owner Smile

I am not sure I would bother with an FM tuner at all if reception was not so good and I did not have a good rooftop aerial. (It is and I do.)

With reception like PP describes ("notoriously hit 'n' miss") I would use Freeview radio and/or internet radio. (Or radio from Sky or Virgin cable, or Freesat, or whatever if your TV reception is bad too.)

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
chebby:

Sorry. The system 'ate' my text when I pressed 'post' and I did not get around to re-typing it.

I gave it away (when I bought my present tuner) so even better value for the new owner Smile

I am not sure I would bother with an FM tuner at all if reception was not so good and I did not have a good rooftop aerial. (It is and I do.)

With reception like PP describes ("notoriously hit 'n' miss") I would use Freeview radio and/or internet radio. (Or radio from Sky or Virgin cable, or Freesat, or whatever if your TV reception is bad too.)

A simple YES or NO would have sufficed! Hmm Hahahaha...just kidding chee bai. Wink

chebby:

Your probably right. I have mentioned in other threads (yonks ago) that I may not replace the tuner. However good the sound quality is with digital radio, most of the stations I like (X-FM or Absolute Radio) are either rubbish reception or cannot be picked up at all. So my hand maybe forced....

Pages