Have your say & ask the experts!

Denon TU-260L

31 replies [Last post]
plastic penguin's picture

Anyone got this tuner? if so what is it like? Seen them on ebay for about £30 - i know they were a budget tuner (and well thought of I believe).

My old Marantz looks as if it has finally given up the ghost.Crying  

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

Formerly known as plastic penguin

Re: Denon TU-260L

...Or does anyone know whether it is signal-hungry? It's important, because signal reception in my area is notoriously hit 'n' miss.

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

Torres09's picture

PP, i had one of these for approx 15 years, they were out in the early 90's IIRC,     just sold it last year for ?25-aaahhhhh

Served me well and never had any trouble with it, god, i just remember now in the days before SKY and the Premer League i'd bring me can of coke and mars bar to my room and listen to BBC Radio 5 Live......those were the days

Sorry PP, cant upload pics of mine-doh

John Duncan's picture

I have the MK2, and it's fantastic. Chebby had the Mk1 recently (and got it for 10 quid if I recall)

Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6  |  751BD  |  651A  |  Diamond 9.1 | Minx Xi | Sonos Play:3

Moderator. mail: john.duncan.whf at the mail of g dot com

John Duncan's picture

Though tbh, for the price of them you might as well just buy one and find out - if it's not what you want, sell it again...

EDIT - especially if it's the one that went for 99p recently. Look at the recent sales, they range from 99p to 30 quid. Time it right and you'll get a cheap one. If you don't get that one, try the next one.

Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6  |  751BD  |  651A  |  Diamond 9.1 | Minx Xi | Sonos Play:3

Moderator. mail: john.duncan.whf at the mail of g dot com

blakenhall's picture

I also have the MK2 and agree with JohnDuncan in saying that it is fantastic. It was purchased from ebay for £34 about 12 months ago, it had been well looked after and was in mint condition. I live in North Staffordshire and have a large 5 element FM aerial in the loft pointing towards Sutton Coldfield, it is connected directly to the plug/tuner, no wall sockets, using Satellite grade cable - signal quality is superb on the majority of stations. Go For It!

JohnDuncan:
Though tbh, for the price of them you might as well just buy one and find out - if it's not what you want, sell it again... EDIT - especially if it's the one that went for 99p recently. Look at the recent sales, they range from 99p to 30 quid. Time it right and you'll get a cheap one. If you don't get that one, try the next one.

Understandable, however, we have hi-fi components and bits 'n' bobs crawling out of the woodwork....Big Smile

ValianTX's picture

I had the Denon TU-260L MK2 and it was a brilliant tuner. Highly recommended. Yes

Home Cinema - LG 50PV350T, Denon DVD2500BT, B&W 685 Theatre, Onkyo TX-NR609

Hi-Fi - Audiolab 8200CD, Roksan Kandy K2, Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE

ValianTX:
I had the Denon TU-260L MK2 and it was a brilliant tuner. Highly recommended. Yes

Cool! nice one, Valian

JoelSim's picture

I can honestly say in 20+ years I've never heard a bad word about them.

Unison Research CDE, Leema Tucana 2, Kudos C2 and some cables.

Music To Your Ears - Headphones, Amps and Speakers

chebby's picture

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

Andrew Everard's picture

See, even Chebby doesn't have a bad word for the tuner...Stick out tongue

Audio Editor, Gramophone

Garland Genoho's picture

hahahaha...that was funny! Angel

chebby's picture

Sorry. The system 'ate' my text when I pressed 'post' and I did not get around to re-typing it.

Anyway....  the Denon TU-260L was ok. For a tenner it was very good.

I gave it away (when I bought my present tuner) so even better value for the new owner Smile

I am not sure I would bother with an FM tuner at all if reception was not so good and I did not have a good rooftop aerial. (It is and I do.)

With reception like PP describes ("notoriously hit 'n' miss") I would use Freeview radio and/or internet radio. (Or radio from Sky or Virgin cable, or Freesat, or whatever if your TV reception is bad too.)

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

Garland Genoho's picture
chebby:

Sorry. The system 'ate' my text when I pressed 'post' and I did not get around to re-typing it.

I gave it away (when I bought my present tuner) so even better value for the new owner Smile

I am not sure I would bother with an FM tuner at all if reception was not so good and I did not have a good rooftop aerial. (It is and I do.)

With reception like PP describes ("notoriously hit 'n' miss") I would use Freeview radio and/or internet radio. (Or radio from Sky or Virgin cable, or Freesat, or whatever if your TV reception is bad too.)

A simple YES or NO would have sufficed! Hmm Hahahaha...just kidding chee bai.Wink

chebby:

Your probably right. I have mentioned in other threads (yonks ago) that I may not replace the tuner. However good the sound quality is with digital radio, most of the stations I like (X-FM or Absolute Radio) are either rubbish reception or cannot be picked up at all. So my hand maybe forced....