Have your say & ask the experts!

Denon DL110 Moving Coil Cartridge vs Sumiko Black Pearl MM

23 replies [Last post]
andybeau's picture

Just thinking of the future, as I'm tight and my Elys 2 still has some life left in it.

After doing some research on the tinternet came up with these two as possible replacements.

All suggestions and opinions welcome.

Cheers

Andy

Rega Brio R, Inspire Quest Rega TT c/w Clearaudio Concept MM, Rega TTPSU, Marrantz CD6004, MA BX2, MF V-Can II, HRT Streamer2, Acer Aspire 1(Win7 Starter), AKG K451, AKG K550, SoundMAGIC HP100

Yamaha RXV671, Sony BDPS370, Xbox360, Samsung UE37E6300, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, CM10.1, 8.1 SW150

Al ears's picture
RE: Denon DL110 Moving Coil Cartridge vs Sumiko Black Pearl MM

I have not heard the Sumiko but I would personally go for neither of these (not too fond of high output moving coils in this range) I'd plump my money on a Shure M97xe.

Only a suggestion. Smile

Origin Live Aurora Gold+Illustrious Mk2 arm+Zyx R100-02/Stello CDT200+Stello DA220 dac/Tom Evans Groove Anniversary phono amp/Tom Evans Vibe preamp/Linear A power amp/Acoustic Zen Adagios/Chord cables/Oppo 105EU.

stevebrock's picture

Alears wrote:

I have not heard the Sumiko but I would personally go for neither of these (not too fond of high output moving coils in this range) I'd plump my money on a Shure M97xe.

Only a suggestion. Smile

you seem to be up on carts!

what would you put on an RP6? something under £300?

Icon Audio ST40 III / KT88, Rega Apollo R, DAC, RS3

Rega RP6, Nagaoka MP-200, White Belt, Michell Tecnoweight, Rega Fono MM

Rega Quattro, Couple 1 & 2

andybeau's picture

Alears wrote:

Only a suggestion. Smile

Cheers that is actually on my short list but am intrigued by these two

Rega Brio R, Inspire Quest Rega TT c/w Clearaudio Concept MM, Rega TTPSU, Marrantz CD6004, MA BX2, MF V-Can II, HRT Streamer2, Acer Aspire 1(Win7 Starter), AKG K451, AKG K550, SoundMAGIC HP100

Yamaha RXV671, Sony BDPS370, Xbox360, Samsung UE37E6300, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, CM10.1, 8.1 SW150

Al ears's picture

It is near impossible to get someone to let you audition a cartridge. You are going to have to bite the bullet and buy one. Whatever you end up getting you should bear in mind that, if you don't like it you can always sell it on at very little loss.

If you do happen to live near a friendly dealer you should lose even less if you take it back to him to try something else.

Origin Live Aurora Gold+Illustrious Mk2 arm+Zyx R100-02/Stello CDT200+Stello DA220 dac/Tom Evans Groove Anniversary phono amp/Tom Evans Vibe preamp/Linear A power amp/Acoustic Zen Adagios/Chord cables/Oppo 105EU.

Al ears's picture

stevebrock wrote:

Alears wrote:

Only a suggestion. Smile

you seem to be up on carts!

what would you put on an RP6? something under £300?

You don't say what your ancilliary equipment is, apart from the RP6. Do you mean to buy only a new cartridge? Pressumably you would be looking at a Moving Magnet type, or do you own a phono preamp that would allow you to use a moving coil?

andybeau's picture

Alears wrote:

It is near impossible to get someone to let you audition a cartridge. You are going to have to bite the bullet and buy one. Whatever you end up getting you should bear in mind that, if you don't like it you can always sell it on at very little loss.

If you do happen to live near a friendly dealer you should lose even less if you take it back to him to try something else.

Cheers, I know its a odd thing about cartridges they make a big difference but can understand to lack of demo available,

thats one of the reasons for the thread to get different opinions before I dive in.

stevebrock's picture

Alears wrote:

i have it going into a Brio R phono stage

andybeau wrote:

Alears wrote:

Cheers, I know its a odd thing about cartridges they make a big difference but can understand to lack of demo available,

thats one of the reasons for the thread to get different opinions before I dive in.

If you have good rapport with a dealer they'll let you try different carts, if you can spare the time that is. Before buying mine they tried a Ortofon first.

FWIW, the ClearAudio, so my Rega dealer says, will work a treat with Rega TTs.

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

Formerly known as plastic penguin

Al ears's picture

stevebrock wrote:

Alears wrote:

i have it going into a Brio R phono stage

I guess that means low output moving coils are out. Try to find a good dealer who might let you try cartridges if you can but my guess is you are looking for a good 'general purpose cartridge' (unless you only listen to one particular genre of music / or purely mono recordings / or (unlikely) only have 78 rpm vinyl!).

For you money you should be looking at a good quality Moving Magnet or, at a push the Dynavector  10x5.

If this is the case I would suggest:-

Grado Reference Platinum 1

Goldring GL2500

or, probably the best all-rounder I have heard that is still going, and that is the Goldring G1042.  excellent!

andybeau's picture
RE:

Alears wrote:

or, probably the best all-rounder I have heard that is still going, and that is the Goldring G1042.  excellent!

That one keeps coming up mmmmm

chebby's picture
RE:

andybeau wrote:

Alears wrote:

I used one for 11 years on a Rega Planar 3 (with two stylus replacements as it got used quite a bit).

Gorgeous sound regardless of it being a MM.  A true classic.

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

andybeau's picture
RE:

chebby wrote:

andybeau wrote:

Alears wrote:

I used one for 11 years on a Rega Planar 3 (with two stylus replacements as it got used quite a bit).

Gorgeous sound regardless of it being a MM.  A true classic.

Cheers I've got about half a dozen in mind as replacements from £70 to £230

stevebrock's picture

Well after speaking to Peter@Cymbiosi, demo of carts are totally out of the question - they make about £50 on a Dynavector 10x5!

I guess its a suck it an see approach!

Im totally spent up on my hifi fund now.......however i did buy a Purple Wool mat for my RP6 - think it will go well with the yellow Exact!

Al ears's picture

Probably will not be that bad..... when hidden beneath a piece of black vinyl. excellent!

stevebrock's picture

Alears wrote:

Probably will not be that bad..... when hidden beneath a piece of black vinyl. excellent!

I think it will look cool.......and obviously will sound better  Wink