298 posts / 0 new
Last post
acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

So they actually agreed to come to Antwer bringing a pair of Pulse X speaker cables and Pulse B/C for I/C. I aganin stated my point saying for me is a deal breaker the fact of having to live with the cables for a while and couldn't be bothered about having a simple demo session at the dealers' shop. Hope they understand the point I am trying to make! 

Now let's wait and see... :cheers:

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12062
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

acalex wrote:

So they actually agreed to come to Antwer bringing a pair of Pulse X speaker cables and Pulse B/C for I/C. I aganin stated my point saying for me is a deal breaker the fact of having to live with the cables for a while and couldn't be bothered about having a simple demo session at the dealers' shop. Hope they understand the point I am trying to make! 

Now let's wait and see... :cheers:

I am constantly impressed with the lengths that you are prepared to go,in order to try stuff out....but imo it's the only way to truly find out what's right for you......let's hope this time it works out in the way that I think it should.

Looking forward to this episode of Bill and Ted's excellent adventure!  Wink

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

So they actually agreed to come to Antwer bringing a pair of Pulse X speaker cables and Pulse B/C for I/C. I aganin stated my point saying for me is a deal breaker the fact of having to live with the cables for a while and couldn't be bothered about having a simple demo session at the dealers' shop. Hope they understand the point I am trying to make! 

Now let's wait and see... :cheers:

I am constantly impressed with the lengths that you are prepared to go,in order to try stuff out....but imo it's the only way to truly find out what's right for you......let's hope this time it works out in the way that I think it should.

Looking forward to this episode of Bill and Ted's excellent adventure!  Wink

 

I don't understand how it's possible to buy without trying...I am like that for everything, I never buy blind not even for small amounts. Plus I really enjoy the hunt...  Dirol

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12062
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

acalex wrote:

I don't understand how it's possible to buy without trying...

....Yes, but most people only listen to a couple of  alternatives before making a decision...whereas you (and Roby) follow up all interesting suggestions.....which, if nothing else, makes for great reading!

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

egoBen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 06/05/2012 - 17:35
Posts: 36
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

Ocean37 wrote:

In my experience , the quality of the output transformers are the most important. When this is of good quality , you can drive almost every type of speakers. Mine are 84db and my tube poweramp delivers 50 Watts p/channel. And it goes very loud when needed. As for your Jadis,  you can expect the outputransformers are of great quality.

I can play extremely loud if I wanted to with these 30 watts. It's not the loudness that worries me, ever, because I don't play very loud in my small apartment. The speakers has to be relatively easy to drive anyway, otherwise the bass might become too sloppy, slow and bloated, especially in my room that suffers from these kinds of problems naturally. And I listen to quite a lot of beat driven music aswell, for instance rock, country, blues, indie, shoegaze etc. But I love the mono tube amplifiers and the tubes, won't part with them! Smile

I am returning the Harbeth's (30.1) tomorrow. I have enjoyed them for a week. I hear new things on every record I play.

The Audio Note speakers, are interesting still, for me, but not for my girlfriend, when I showed her the size of them. Smile Darn.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12062
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

egoBen wrote:

The Audio Note speakers, are interesting still, for me, but not for my girlfriend, when I showed her the size of them. Smile Darn.

They have different sizes......and they have some lovely wooden veneers.  :shifty:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 05/09/2008 - 17:39
Posts: 2755
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

You could always grow a spine  :shifty:.

 

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2005
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

egoBen wrote:

Ocean37 wrote:

In my experience , the quality of the output transformers are the most important. When this is of good quality , you can drive almost every type of speakers. Mine are 84db and my tube poweramp delivers 50 Watts p/channel. And it goes very loud when needed. As for your Jadis,  you can expect the outputransformers are of great quality.

I can play extremely loud if I wanted to with these 30 watts. It's not the loudness that worries me, ever, because I don't play very loud in my small apartment. The speakers has to be relatively easy to drive anyway, otherwise the bass might become too sloppy, slow and bloated, especially in my room that suffers from these kinds of problems naturally. And I listen to quite a lot of beat driven music aswell, for instance rock, country, blues, indie, shoegaze etc. But I love the mono tube amplifiers and the tubes, won't part with them! Smile

I am returning the Harbeth's (30.1) tomorrow. I have enjoyed them for a week. I hear new things on every record I play.

The Audio Note speakers, are interesting still, for me, but not for my girlfriend, when I showed her the size of them. Smile Darn.

So what are you going to do then?

You could always change your girlfriend!

:grin:

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

Well, sent a clear email saying a demo is cool but if they won't leave the demo cables I couldn't be bothered...as I won't decide after a quick demo if spending this amount on cables. Still haven't got an answer and they usually answer fast, lets see

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

Just took home a nice pair of Siltech 330L speaker cables ex-demo...they are actually VERY good. Overall I am enjoying more especially at lower volume. Also some of the excessive bass is gone...unbelievable what a pair of good speaker cables can do Smile

Need to run a proper listening session tomorrow at higher volume but I could say straight away when connected that something has changed...

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12062
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

acalex wrote:

Just took home a nice pair of Siltech 330L speaker cables ex-demo...they are actually VERY good. Overall I am enjoying more especially at lower volume. Also some of the excessive bass is gone...unbelievable what a pair of good speaker cables can do Smile

Need to run a proper listening session tomorrow at higher volume but I could say straight away when connected that something has changed...

Welcome to the land of the bemused!

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

Just took home a nice pair of Siltech 330L speaker cables ex-demo...they are actually VERY good. Overall I am enjoying more especially at lower volume. Also some of the excessive bass is gone...unbelievable what a pair of good speaker cables can do Smile

Need to run a proper listening session tomorrow at higher volume but I could say straight away when connected that something has changed...

Welcome to the land of the bemused!

They just brough a nice smile on my face, can't stop listening at the 4 vinyls I bought tonight!  :cheers:

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12062
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

acalex wrote:

They just brough a nice smile on my face, can't stop listening at the 4 vinyls I bought tonight!  :cheers:

I really hope Vertere have the good sense to work with you.....as imo. it will lead to mutual benefit.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12062
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

acalex wrote:

Well, sent a clear email saying a demo is cool but if they won't leave the demo cables I couldn't be bothered...as I won't decide after a quick demo if spending this amount on cables. Still haven't got an answer and they usually answer fast, lets see

 

I was just reading up on your Siltech Cables here: http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=158:siltech-classic-anniversary-330i-interconnects-and-330l-speaker-cables&catid=55&Itemid=4

On the face of it, they look like a good choice, and will make an excellent benchmark.....though you will really need to hear the i/c as well, when you get the DS (and if possible compare it with a Linn Silver).

If Vertere prove difficult, tell them Siltech are happy to oblige (and sound excellent)!!  :shifty:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

Well, sent a clear email saying a demo is cool but if they won't leave the demo cables I couldn't be bothered...as I won't decide after a quick demo if spending this amount on cables. Still haven't got an answer and they usually answer fast, lets see

 

I was just reading up on your Siltech Cables here: http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=158:siltech-classic-anniversary-330i-interconnects-and-330l-speaker-cables&catid=55&Itemid=4

On the face of it, they look like a good choice, and will make an excellent benchmark.....though you will really need to hear the i/c as well, when you get the DS (and if possible compare it with a Linn Silver).

If Vertere prove difficult, tell them Siltech are happy to oblige (and sound excellent)!!  :shifty:

Cool, thanks for the interesting reading! I basically agree, they bring more clarity and detail for sure. This was shockingly evident at midnight's levels of volume. It was still vey involving and could hear clearly all details.

Haven't told you that I also took along the 330i interconnect? Biggrin Still haven't installed them as I want to make sure what every piece brings in/remove before swapping components...I will leave the all day with cables only and add the interconnect tonight or tomorrow!

Only piece missing is a Siltech SPX800 power chord which I will be getting soon also to try. On the other side I might try a Shunyata Black Mamba

Pages

Log in or register to post comments