31 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 04/09/2013 - 14:19
Posts: 51606
Spendor A5 Fault?
English

I have Cyrus CD8se with Cyrus 8 power with Pvs-2 pre amp.

When playing for example Pink floyd the wall with volume at approx 10.o'clock which is not over loud.  The spendor speaker sounds as if the base cone is hitting a stop. Why should this be as the speaker should be ok with the power of this amp. Has anyone else experienced this or is it a fault with my A5s

 

MikeToll's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 07/07/2010 - 11:10
Posts: 77
Re: Spendor A5 Fault?

Seems to me that unless the amp is clipping then you may well have a problem with the speaker(s). One or both speakers doing it? Why not contact Spendor?

hificonfused's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 days ago
Joined: 07/02/2010 - 21:20
Posts: 5
RE: Re: Spendor A5 Fault?

Can not put up with spendors any longer. Am going replace them with something that can cope with volume. Was thinking of b & w cm10 or kefs Anyone tried with cyrus kit. Was thinking ultimately to run cyrus signature 200 power amps. 

MikeToll's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 07/07/2010 - 11:10
Posts: 77
RE: Re: Spendor A5 Fault?

Why not email Spendor? I have always found them very helpful. My Spendors will happily go so loud it is difficult to stay in the room without any clipping or distortion or any other problems.

Thompsonuxb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 19/02/2012 - 14:24
Posts: 1255
RE: Spendor A5 Fault?

alot of modern amps are attenuated pretty poorly and deliver all their power around the 9 o clock position on the dial,

whats the power rating on your amp combo - you sure you're not playing your music too loud?

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 4008
RE: Spendor A5 Fault?

hificonfused wrote:

I have Cyrus CD8se with Cyrus 8 power with Pvs-2 pre amp.

When playing for example Pink floyd the wall with volume at approx 10.o'clock which is not over loud.  The spendor speaker sounds as if the base cone is hitting a stop. Why should this be as the speaker should be ok with the power of this amp. Has anyone else experienced this or is it a fault with my A5s

 

You are running out of power, simple as that.

Either the amps are clipping or they are failing to control the bass drivers at at low frequencies, probably both.

 

The power amp is way out of its depth, hardly surprising given the speakers you are trying to drive with it. The speakers are the best part of your system, by a fair margin, they deserve much better amplification.

Thompsonuxb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 19/02/2012 - 14:24
Posts: 1255
RE: Spendor A5 Fault?

davedotco wrote:

hificonfused wrote:

I have Cyrus CD8se with Cyrus 8 power with Pvs-2 pre amp.

When playing for example Pink floyd the wall with volume at approx 10.o'clock which is not over loud.  The spendor speaker sounds as if the base cone is hitting a stop. Why should this be as the speaker should be ok with the power of this amp. Has anyone else experienced this or is it a fault with my A5s

 

You are running out of power, simple as that.

Either the amps are clipping or they are failing to control the bass drivers at at low frequencies, probably both.

 

The power amp is way out of its depth, hardly surprising given the speakers you are trying to drive with it. The speakers are the best part of your system, by a fair margin, they deserve much better amplification.

as much as it burns me to do so, I have to agree with you davedotco,

he needs more 'real' power.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 4008
RE: Spendor A5 Fault?

Thompsonuxb wrote:

davedotco wrote:

hificonfused wrote:

I have Cyrus CD8se with Cyrus 8 power with Pvs-2 pre amp.

When playing for example Pink floyd the wall with volume at approx 10.o'clock which is not over loud.  The spendor speaker sounds as if the base cone is hitting a stop. Why should this be as the speaker should be ok with the power of this amp. Has anyone else experienced this or is it a fault with my A5s

 

You are running out of power, simple as that.

Either the amps are clipping or they are failing to control the bass drivers at at low frequencies, probably both.

 

The power amp is way out of its depth, hardly surprising given the speakers you are trying to drive with it. The speakers are the best part of your system, by a fair margin, they deserve much better amplification.

as much as it burns me to do so, I have to agree with you davedotco,

he needs more 'real' power.

The cheques in the post....... Dirol

hifikrazy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/08/2007 - 09:54
Posts: 632
RE: Spendor A5 Fault?

Cyrus 8 power isn't exactly a wimpy amp... little but not wimpy.  I cannot imagine that it is running out of steam to the point that it clips while the volume is only at 10 o'clock while driving a speaker with nominal impedance of 8 ohms. As some others have suggested here, I would check with Spendor first.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 4008
RE: Spendor A5 Fault?

hifikrazy wrote:

Cyrus 8 power isn't exactly a wimpy amp... little but not wimpy.  I cannot imagine that it is running out of steam to the point that it clips while the volume is only at 10 o'clock while driving a speaker with nominal impedance of 8 ohms. As some others have suggested here, I would check with Spendor first.

The Cyrus 8, in standard form, has a modest power supply which suggests that the rated power is only available short term and in ideal conditions. 

Spendor speakers are low sensitivity and never easy to drive, a difficult proposition for any amplifier, let alone one that is a little light on current delivery.

It is a power issue, pretty much guaranteed, a result of very poor system building. The volume control is no indicator of the power being delivered by the amplifier, this has been discussed many times before.

hifikrazy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/08/2007 - 09:54
Posts: 632
RE: Spendor A5 Fault?

Yes, I do know that the volume control position is not a good indicator.  But for goodness sake, don't you think it's a stretch to say that a decent amp like the Cyrus can't even drive a common speaker like the Spendor A5 to medium volume levels? I'm sure even their integrated amps will drive the A5 to highish levels without any problems, let alone their power amp.  

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 4008
RE: Spendor A5 Fault?

hifikrazy wrote:

Yes, I do know that the volume control position is not a good indicator.  But for goodness sake, don't you think it's a stretch to say that a decent amp like the Cyrus can't even drive a common speaker like the Spendor A5 to medium volume levels? I'm sure even their integrated amps will drive the A5 to highish levels without any problems, let alone their power amp.  

The A5 has a sensitivity of 84-85db/watt. Like all Spendors it is not exactly easy to drive or control.

The power amp has a modest 180va power supply which suggests that the specified power ratings will only be obtained short term. To get some perspective the integrated Creek 50a has 300va.

On paper the Cyrus8/A5 is a poor match and the OP's experience seems to confirm that, as indeed does your own choice of power amplifier.

You do realise that the your power amp speaker combination is effectively 10 times more powerful than the OP's, right........ :?

hifikrazy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/08/2007 - 09:54
Posts: 632
RE: Spendor A5 Fault?

The Spendor A5 is 86dB, 8 ohms nominal impedance and 5 ohms minimum impedance. That doesn't sound like a terribly difficult speaker to drive. Now I will admit that the Cyrus power amp may not control the Spendor as well as a more powerful amp, but I just find it hard to accept that with the Cyrus' volume turned up to 10 o'clock , which is probably a modest volume at best given the 86dB sensitivity, that it pushes the Cyrus into clipping. 

Yes, I do realise that my power amp/speakers combination wouldn't present similar problems, but I have had a Cyrus integrated amp before and while it would not drive low sensitivity low impedance speakers beautifully, not once did it ever clip even at highish volume levels ie. about 95 dB. And my integrated amp was lower powered than the OP's power amp. I think Cyrus amps are pretty high current amps even though they're so diminutive in stature.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 4008
RE: Spendor A5 Fault?

hifikrazy wrote:

The Spendor A5 is 86dB, 8 ohms nominal impedance and 5 ohms minimum impedance. That doesn't sound like a terribly difficult speaker to drive. Now I will admit that the Cyrus power amp may not control the Spendor as well as a more powerful amp, but I just find it hard to accept that with the Cyrus' volume turned up to 10 o'clock , which is probably a modest volume at best given the 86dB sensitivity, that it pushes the Cyrus into clipping. 

Yes, I do realise that my power amp/speakers combination wouldn't present similar problems, but I have had a Cyrus integrated amp before and while it would not drive low sensitivity low impedance speakers beautifully, not once did it ever clip even at highish volume levels ie. about 95 dB. And my integrated amp was lower powered than the OP's power amp. I think Cyrus amps are pretty high current amps even though they're so diminutive in stature.

Given that the power supply in the Cyrus8 is quite modest, how will it deliver high current? 

Again you seem fixated by the position of the volume control, it means nothing. The OP's descrition of his problem could not be clearer, the amplifier is being overdriven into a fairly difficult load and is running out of steam at the volume levels (whatever they might be) that the OP wants to listen at.

Buy a better, more powerful amplifier, or lose the speakers for something more sensitive and easier to drive. I would chose the first option.

respe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 days ago
Joined: 16/04/2009 - 09:50
Posts: 232
RE: Spendor A5 Fault?

Instead of arguing about it on here, why not have a word with the dealer you bought the spendors from. See if you can take them back in, with your amps, and try different speakers on the amps, and different amps on the speakers. It may be a mis match, it may be a fault. A trip to the dealer would hopefully answer the question.

Nothing to do with it beyond I have spendor A6, and Rega Exons, even with the pre amp down at its lowest output, I would not want to spend to much time listening to them at the maximum volume level. No signs of clipping, or driver problems, just loud.

Native_bon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
Joined: 26/11/2008 - 10:58
Posts: 1094
RE: Spendor A5 Fault?

The question here is how loud is  hificonfused playing his music, & also do people who have lesser power amplifiers have problems driving the A5s?  If its the latter & they dnt have a problem drving them, then there could be a problem with the speakers. If the former then needs better amp or speakers or different combination of amp & speakers.

 Nothing is definite. Just try the speaker or speakers with a more powerful amp that way you will know for sure if speaker is faulty.

 OPPO 105EU, Arcam AVR450, Boston Acoustics M340. Dac: Musical fedility V90. LG OLED EC930V TV

Pages

Log in or register to post comments