41 posts / 0 new
Last post
MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 50 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3501
RE: Silver or Black?

Nope, I can't change my mind. Though I have tried. I cannot look a silver HiFi in the face(ia) without thinking it looks like some cheap plastic-fronted Amstrad stack system. Silver is so pre-1990.

moon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 10/11/2011 - 09:14
Posts: 861
RE: Silver or Black?

you could go for 

http://www.whathifi.com/news/gold-plated-hi-fi-sir-no-problem

 

but it will cost a bit more

iceman16's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2011 - 12:55
Posts: 778
RE: Silver or Black?

Marantz PM6004 looks cool in black:)

Main system: MF AMS 35i / Focal 1028be / Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP / MIT cables

Bedroom: Laptop(Qobuz) / Chord gem / Rega Brio-r / KEF ls50 / TQ black / Sennheiser momentum

 

 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Silver or Black?

Why I finally landed on Black for the Marantz is that they have a strong tradition of Champagne/Silver/Gold and Black to me felt alittle new.

 

I will get my Boston Speakers in a day or two but I have tested the amp with my Snell JII that are superb.

 

I compared it some to my Arcam Alpha 5 plus but I need more time to compare. Dont have banana plugs so switching back and forth aint fun.

The Arcam might be more dynamic sounding and hammers harder, almost like you pushed a half loudness button on the Marantz, The Volume knobb also plays a trick on the eyes, at 11 aclock on the Arcam, its more or less maximum volume while the Marantz plays clean way past 2 and then louder.

I must say that the PM 6004 is realy quite quite wonderful with Classical music!

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6319
RE: Silver or Black?

Joe10155 wrote:

Black for me, well mostly black; as Primare gear in black comes with silver knobs & buttons! Dirol

Best of both worlds?

 

+ 1  Wink

moon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 10/11/2011 - 09:14
Posts: 861
RE: Silver or Black?

Erik3 wrote:

Why I finally landed on Black for the Marantz is that they have a strong tradition of Champagne/Silver/Gold and Black to me felt alittle new.

 

I will get my Boston Speakers in a day or two but I have tested the amp with my Snell JII that are superb.

 

I compared it some to my Arcam Alpha 5 plus but I need more time to compare. Dont have banana plugs so switching back and forth aint fun.

The Arcam might be more dynamic sounding and hammers harder, almost like you pushed a half loudness button on the Marantz, The Volume knobb also plays a trick on the eyes, at 11 aclock on the Arcam, its more or less maximum volume while the Marantz plays clean way past 2 and then louder.

I must say that the PM 6004 is realy quite quite wonderful with Classical music!

whats happening to the Snell's? If your not keeping them I know someone who would give them a very good home!

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Silver or Black?

moon wrote:

 

whats happening to the Snell's? If your not keeping them I know someone who would give them a very good home!

[/quote]

 

I bet you do, smile but sorry I aint never selling them. I use them in my livingroom while I have built another house next to the mainhouse for my Violin making and other things in wood, I got the Marantz and the Boston to keep me company there since i up today have had comapny of a kassetplayer radio from the 80's.

 

PS Audio Note have the blueprints for the original Snells K, J and E and can be bought new today. Not cheap though but maybe even improved. Forsure the variaty of finishes one can get them in.

MUSICRAFT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 23/03/2009 - 20:38
Posts: 4575
RE: Silver or Black?

Erik3 wrote:

Not the most technical question  :? but I cant decide on what color to get on a new amp.

I think some look better in Silver then in Black and vise versa but with this amp, the Marantz PM 6004 I cant make up my mind.

 

Whats your take in this case? feel free to share.

Hi Erik3

I generally prefer black finish with exception being Densen Audio Technologies Albino silver finish (with red dot matrix display) and Chord Electronics Choral Series brilliant silver finish (with red internal light). These silver finishes look stunning Cool

http://densen.dk/index.php?page=densen-b-175

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=39

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Musicraft (Derby) - Specialist Hi-Fi, AV & Multimedia dealer

ID.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 22/02/2010 - 13:12
Posts: 1484
RE: Silver or Black?

Whatever works in the room.

As someone mentioned, to me, black is very 90's. I'm lazy and it also shows dust much more, so I'd generally choose silver (or champagne gold). Wouldn't be averse to them incorporating a bit of timber into the design, either.

Bedroom: Esoteric RZ-1, PMC DB1i, Fostex CW200A. FUBAR IV

Office: Nuforce Icon HDP, Adam A7X

Living room: Apple TV, FIIO D03K, Fostex PM0.4n

Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD900x and ATH-A900x, Sennheiser HD595,  Grado SR80i

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2185
RE: Silver or Black?

ID. wrote:

Whatever works in the room.

As someone mentioned, to me, black is very 90's. I'm lazy and it also shows dust much more, so I'd generally choose silver (or champagne gold). Wouldn't be averse to them incorporating a bit of timber into the design, either.

 

Champanhe Gold is very Denon, with timber ( on the sides) is very Yamaha... It is classy but... Huummm NAaaaa! 

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

Pages

Log in or register to post comments