Last post
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: My new Kef Q500's & Q200c

cheers moon i will look into that..

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I have had these speakers now since mid september and thought i would share a few things i have noticed about them for those of you who are thinking about getting some.

Firstly the run in period, this is quite a long process with these speakers IMO, i have had them playing on & off for just under 2 months and i would say they have only just run in, from out of the box they can sound a bit bright and the mid range a bit muddled with the bass a little loose, after a couple of weeks the brightness toned down and the bass tightned up, although the mid range was still muddled,after a month the brightness had completly gone and the bass was tighter although the mid range was still a bit muddled. now after nearly 2 months they have completly transformed and are very sweet to listen to, the vocals are stunning with no trace of brightness and the mid range is clear and not at all muddled, the bass is tight and punchy, the speakers are imaging superbly giving a great sound stage.

secondly these speakers must be bi-amped/bi-wired, i have mine bi-amped and it made a huge difference, changing from chord silverscreen to odyssey made a massive difference in terms of clarity.

I had monitor audio rx6's before and although the monitor audios were better straight out of the box, now these kefs have run in they are better than the m/a's IMO, especially when it comes down to vocals and bass.

finally they sound better with the grills off!

moon's picture

Hi Stig, interesting to hear your thoughts on the KEFS. I really liked their design and wanted to like the sound they made, but, when I went audition them they sounded as you described. I couldn't risk them for the money. Great to hear they came good. I think in general av is much better value than Hifi at the moment, your set up looks great. what sort of films do you watch on it?

I had another thought about potential candidates to run the speakers. I think auditioning the Anthem MRX300 could be a good wild card. Just over budget but I think you get it for your top price.

Pistol Pete1's picture

Interesting thoughts stig.......

TBH, I noticed muddled mid and bass when I got them, especially with complex music.....but now you have mentioned it, I've not noticed that for ages......I had just forgotten about it!! :wall:

My wife had the new Will Young cd on the other day....wow, vocal clarity and deep bass. They sounded superb!! Totally agree with the grilles, bi amp and odyssey 2 comments too..... :cheer:

I also bought these speakers over the MA RX6's after hearing both and the B&W 684's......

AV: Panasonic TX-P50X60 : Pioneer SC-2023 : Panasonic DMP-BDT320 : Humax HDR FOX T2 : Marantz PM6004 (front speakers) : X Box kinect : KEF Q100/Q200C/3001SE : AE Radiance sub 

STEREO: Marantz CD63 MK II KI : Marantz PM6004 : KEF Q100

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

glad its not just me thats noticed these differences, i think i noticed these differences more by not being in the house alot these past couple of months, the mrs has had it all playing in that space of time and when i came in the other day the differences from new to now were quite amazing, ive also noticed with these speakers you don't need to be sat in the optimum listening position to enjoy all the effects like other speakers, i saw the below quote regarding the Q500's and thought it summed them up perfectly.

As a viewer, you notice the striking clarity of the vocals and fluidly articulate midrange response.With massive bass extension heightening the drama and flawless 3-D imaging that faithfully tracks the action on screen, the illusion of being there is phenomenal

Pistol Pete1's picture

Sounds about right!!!!

Dance 4

AV: Panasonic TX-P50X60 : Pioneer SC-2023 : Panasonic DMP-BDT320 : Humax HDR FOX T2 : Marantz PM6004 (front speakers) : X Box kinect : KEF Q100/Q200C/3001SE : AE Radiance sub 

STEREO: Marantz CD63 MK II KI : Marantz PM6004 : KEF Q100

hopper1's picture

I'm about to move house, and I'm struggling to get a good site in the lounge for my TV, etc...

I wasn't even considering the area in front of the window because of the radiator!...

Is that radiator in use? I have little experience as I'm still new to surroud sound, etc, but if it's ok to place it in front of the rad, my problems are solved Wink I was unsure about the heat.

Sorry to jump in on your post.

Nice set up, by the way.

I'm about to make the transition from an integrated system to all seperates, so I want to get it right.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

hi, the radiator is turned off as we have another in the lounge and it gets too hot in there with both on, so no problems with air circulation and overheating..:type:

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: My updated Rega & kef R series set-up 2012

although i loved my home cinema set up i just was'nt being used..i think in 3 months i watch 2 films on it, yet every day i listen to music for at least 3 hours, so after alot of consideration i decided to revert back to having a 2 channel set-up.

first change was the amp -rega brio-r

then came the rega dac

then came the partington super dreadnoughts which i purchased for £80 in silver (then resprayed them to satin black)

i already had the cable -odyssey from e-bay @ £90 for a 3m pair & chameleon silver plus @ £52 for a 1m pair.

then the final piece of the puzzle was the speakers...i tried alot of speakers from PMC Db1i,monitor audio rx1&2,Spendor S3/5R2 and dynaudio 2/6 & exite x12...all very good speakers in there own individual way but not what i was looking for.

i then had a home demo of the kef r300's...wow what a speaker what a sound...absolutly stunning but after 3 hours trying to convince myself they were perfectly fine on my dreadnoughts i came to my senses and realised they were just too big for my room DOH!

Last but not least i was given a pair of the kef r100's to demo at home... eureka!!!! i had found the perfect speakers for my room..if you have not heard the kef r series then your in for a treat..these things are amazing!

kef r100

CnoEvil's picture

THESTIG08 wrote:

although i loved my home cinema set up i just was'nt being used..i think in 3 months i watch 2 films on it, yet every day i listen to music for at least 3 hours, so after alot of consideration i decided to revert back to having a 2 channel set-up.

first change was the amp -rega brio-r

then came the rega dac

then came the partington super dreadnoughts which i purchased for £80 in silver (then resprayed them to satin black)

i already had the cable -odyssey from e-bay @ £90 for a 3m pair & chameleon silver plus @ £52 for a 1m pair.

then the final piece of the puzzle was the speakers...i tried alot of speakers from PMC Db1i,monitor audio rx1&2,Spendor S3/5R2 and dynaudio 2/6 & exite x12...all very good speakers in there own individual way but not what i was looking for.

i then had a home demo of the kef r300's...wow what a speaker what a sound...absolutly stunning but after 3 hours trying to convince myself they were perfectly fine on my dreadnoughts i came to my senses and realised they were just too big for my room DOH!

Last but not least i was given a pair of the kef r100's to demo at home... eureka!!!! i had found the perfect speakers for my room..if you have not heard the kef r series then your in for a treat..these things are amazing!

kef r100

Very nice indeed....and getting components that are amongst the best in their respective price brackets (and match well), greatly help.

Enjoy your Easter

Cno

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

David@FrankHarvey's picture

THESTIG08 wrote:

The R300's are phenomenal speakers for the money, so much so that I currently use five of them in a 5.1 system - I could quite easily have gone for R100's all round, but I was trying to replace my old speakers like for like with regards to size, and not go too small. 

It's a shame you couldn't fit them in - I've heard bass notes from them that I've only ever heard through my sub in my room. Saying that, it's extremely surprising what the little R100's are capable of!

Enjoy Smile

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

Pages