393 posts / 0 new
Last post
BenLaw's picture
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

gel wrote:

And with John Lewis the warranty is transferable if you choose to sell it!   Smile

I'm catching up on this thread so sorry if this has already been mentioned - wouldn't you need to buy in store to get the five year warranty?

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Who ever you are gamemaker....I think you provided Leds with the last word over plasma.What a surprise KO. Gamers voted No for plasmas and even plasma owners  here accept games will damage plasma in the long term with the mega settings and.......without the growing group of gamers supporting plasma as customers with money to burn and young dudes, plasmas fate is sealed! Failure to read the market and trends leads to business failures.ta da.

There is also one compelling reason for 4k TV and it is call PS4...upscaling. No 4k bluray needed for now...hahaha.No one saw that coming but Sony did. Sony is back! Watch out Samsung I cannot see gamers buying your TV to hook up their PS4.For now W905a is the best overall Led set perfect with PS4 and xbox 1.Low Lag time is the best incase you need reminding.

I can crank up hours of gaming with high contrast setting and brightness with game score  logos poping up  at the same place without retention issues...

gel's picture

BenLaw wrote:

gel wrote:

And with John Lewis the warranty is transferable if you choose to sell it!   Smile

I'm catching up on this thread so sorry if this has already been mentioned - wouldn't you need to buy in store to get the five year warranty?

Nope, it is just included at no extra cost, that is standard practice with John Lewis.

http://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/televisions/c6000084

You can get a two year warranty on an iPad too:

http://www.johnlewis.com/apple-ipad-2-apple-a5-1ghz-ios-6-9-7-wi-fi-16gb-black/p231208919

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

gel's picture

This can't be a bad deal:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tv-projector-classified-adverts/1785845-sale-panasonic-55vt50-55-plasma-tv.html

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

gel's picture

gel wrote:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tv-projector-classified-adverts/1785845-sale-panasonic-55vt50-55-plasma-tv.html

1.  It has been run in.

2.  I hear it is good for gaming.

3.  It has been professionally calibrated.

4.  You are basically dealing with TPS.

5.  Great black levels.

6.  The price is quite good, so if you do game on it, first you are covered by gaming through warranty and second you are not paying a fortune for it.

gel's picture

Same TV but with a free 5 year warranty:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_51&products_id=4426

Oldboy's picture

mr malarky wrote:

Once a gamer, always a gamer, I doubt Oldboy's about to bin his console anytime soon.

Exactly! PS4 is on the agenda for xmas so i'm definately not going to stop gaming. I have a complete driving rig with Fanatec CSR wheel and pedals with clutch, 6 speed H pattern gear stick and dring seat from Gameracer to mount it all on....that lot cost £700 alone so there is no way i'm ditching the consoles.

I really enjoy gaming and a bit of COD online multiplayer is a great way to unwind :grin:

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Oldboy's picture

gel wrote:

Would you be able to demo a TV for gaming?  I guess there is no way to is there?  I would not play games on my GT50 from what I have seen.  But personally I am just in it for the best TV for my home cinema.  I think the Panasonic are way ahead of the competition in that regard, I personally would drop the gaming and focus on home cinema, then there is only one winner.   But if you are going to game, it is a lot harder to recommend.  I suppose it will come down to your priorities.

I would never buy a TV from Richer Sounds again!   Smile  I remember the stress too!

That is something I have been looking at today gel!

I'm going in the Panasonic store tomorrow to talk it over but i'm willing to take the PS3 in there to test out gaming on a 55VT65 for myself, it's going to be bit of a pain but if they are willing to let me do it on a dasy when it's not too busy then I will certainly do it just for some peice of mind. I will look very carefully for any of the IR issues i've had in the past and try to get more info regarding any potential issues with gaming on this years plasmas.

I won't be giving up gaming anytime soon though if you read my previous post above and I still feel an LED tv is going to suit me better than a plasma, if I ever stop gaming though it would be a plasma without hesitation.

Will post tomorrow with how the conversation goes in the Panasonic store but I would still buy from John Lewis even if they let me test a PS3 in there just for peice of mind, I know it's not good form to use a retailer like that but I can't see any other choice.

And I agree...sorry Richer Sounds but after the huge battle I had last time, the hassle, the lengths I had to go to in order to get a resolution and useless customer service I received you lost a valued and loyal customer. Never again!

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Oldboy's picture

gel wrote:

Nice spot gel :clap:

Now sold but I would have been interested if I could have put my concerns over gaming to one side.

Oldboy's picture

gel,

I tested out the John Lewis never knowingly undersold promise with a deal I spotted for the Samsung 55F8000 tv at Electronic Empire here:

http://www.electronicempire.co.uk/televisions/3d-tvs/samsung-ue55f8000-55-smart-3d-led-full-hd?zenid=d8b0dcrd4vsvfdr12mlpcdl1t2

I had a reply today to say that John Lewis won't match that price so thought it was worth sharing their explanation so everyone knows for future reference what the requirements are for them to match a price so here is the response I received:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Samsung television.

In order to match a price request, the competitor must trade on the same basis as us, for example we will not match online only retailers, mail order only or show-rooms attached to internet-only orders. I regret that after review the request you have submitted does not match all or parts of this policy.

Although Electronic Empire have a high street store, the branding between their website and their retail shop, Premier AV are inconsistent. Where we are investigating a price match with a website, it must trade under the same brand name and on the same basis as their high street shop. .

If you would like to view more information about Never Knowingly Undersold and our pricing you can do so on our website. I have included a link below for your convenience.

http://www.johnlewis.com/inspiration-and-advice/never-knowingly-undersold-policy?intcmp=HP_deliveryblock_nku

I am sorry I have not been able to reduce the price on this occasion. If you require any further information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Marion Nicolson
John Lewis.com

As you can see there are a few criterea to be met in order for them to match a price so going forward I know what I need to do in order to get a price match on the tv I choose to buy next so it's good to have this info in hand, things might be different if I phone them or make a trip to seek out a store but online it seems the above criterea has to be met in order for them to price match which is useful info if nothing else.

Oldboy's picture

So I went in the Panasonic store yesterday and got to see the 55VT65 for myself...wow what a picture that thing is capable of given a good bluray feed!

There is no denying the quality of the tv and the pictures it can produce BUT the Panasonic store wasn't very helpful at first to be frank, they were quick to pounce when I walked in and were proud of their 6 year warranty but once the demo was over and I started to question the salesman things got interesting. It became apparent very quickly that his knowledge was limited and when I asked about my concerns about using the tv with consoles he could only offer "it has a Game mode setting"....oh dear!

He had no real idea of the difference between IR and burn in either and seemed he was reading off a company document that just listed the latest features of this years tvs and he couldn't even tell me what the warranty covered, not good. I asked for the manager.

Now in fairness the manager was really helpful but I did say that the salesman needed training as I knew more than he did! He did say that not many people have any real knowledge of the different tv techs and don't ask too many probing questions (really? that's shocking) but he took my concerns on board and seemed like he genuinely would do something to clue the salesman up (that could have just been a good sales tactic though).

I had the chance to compare side by side the VT65 with the range topping ZT as just by chance the two tvs were side by side in the showroom and the manager was kind enough to pipe in a bluray of Avatar into both tvs for a comparision. The differences between the two tvs was much closer than I expected and especially so once they had been taken out of shop mode which was the first thing I asked him to do, the ZT seemed to lack a bit of punch in contrasts and seemed slightly dull compared to the VT but made up for it with even greater insight into blacks and slightly better realised colours along with even less picture noise but apart from that I couldn't seperate them apart from the obvious cosmetic differances.

I put my ear to the back of both tvs to test for fan noise and the ZT was far quieter here infatct it was hard to tell it even had a fan it was that quiet where as the VT did have some fan noise but nowhere near as bad as the GT30 I had some time ago and from front on was inaudible even when no sound was present but it must be said both tvs were some distance away from the wall so how they would fare once wall mounted I can't say.

Now to my concerns over gaming and the manager was very frank when he said that yes the tv has a game mode but as a primary source for gaming over extended periods it may not be suitable. Although they have had no reports of it so far from either customers or Panasonic there are risks associated with extended gaming on a plasma tv and IR can't be ruled out completely and as such is not covered by their warranty along with burn in.

He was happy for me to book an appointment to bring a console in and test it out for myself at the back of the store during the week when they aren't too busy which was good to know but after a bit of a chat he was of the opinion that if you wanted to be completely safe then an LED would be a better but that you would have to compromise somewhere as the VT has superior image quality than any 2013 LED tv.

So some more auditions are on the cards now but the VT65 has set a high standard to beat or even get close to and will be my reference by which I pick a new tv. My concerns over gaming remain but have been put at ease to some extent by my chat to the manager and as he said to me "with the best will in the world I can't say the problem won't arise but it's far more unlikely in this range than ever before but if you want to be sure then get an LED tv"

Food for thought indeed but there is no denying that the picture quality on the 55VT65 is that good that i'm seriously considering taking the risk now but my mind is definately not going to be made up until i've seen the competition in action, great tv though and it's going to be hard to beat.

mr malarky's picture

Thanks for the update oldboy, sounds like it was definitely worth the trip.

Interesting to read your comments about fan noise, I sit about 8 feet away from my ZT and can hear the fan during quiet scenes (its not loud or off putting, but its definitely audible), which makes me wonder if mine's louder than it should be - could be worth taking a trip to a store myself so I can hear another one running and get a comparison.

Have you got a short list for LED sets to audition?

gel's picture

Oldboy wrote:

gel,

I tested out the John Lewis never knowingly undersold promise with a deal I spotted for the Samsung 55F8000 tv at Electronic Empire here:

http://www.electronicempire.co.uk/televisions/3d-tvs/samsung-ue55f8000-55-smart-3d-led-full-hd?zenid=d8b0dcrd4vsvfdr12mlpcdl1t2

I had a reply today to say that John Lewis won't match that price so thought it was worth sharing their explanation so everyone knows for future reference what the requirements are for them to match a price so here is the response I received:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Samsung television.

In order to match a price request, the competitor must trade on the same basis as us, for example we will not match online only retailers, mail order only or show-rooms attached to internet-only orders. I regret that after review the request you have submitted does not match all or parts of this policy.

Although Electronic Empire have a high street store, the branding between their website and their retail shop, Premier AV are inconsistent. Where we are investigating a price match with a website, it must trade under the same brand name and on the same basis as their high street shop. .

If you would like to view more information about Never Knowingly Undersold and our pricing you can do so on our website. I have included a link below for your convenience.

http://www.johnlewis.com/inspiration-and-advice/never-knowingly-undersold-policy?intcmp=HP_deliveryblock_nku

I am sorry I have not been able to reduce the price on this occasion. If you require any further information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Marion Nicolson
John Lewis.com

As you can see there are a few criterea to be met in order for them to match a price so going forward I know what I need to do in order to get a price match on the tv I choose to buy next so it's good to have this info in hand, things might be different if I phone them or make a trip to seek out a store but online it seems the above criterea has to be met in order for them to price match which is useful info if nothing else.

Oldboy, you have to price match with Total Digital the shop, the Electronic Empire - that is their clearance website.  Say you would like to price match with Total Digital and then price match, use the details here:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=contact_us

gel's picture

If you read the terms they only price match with shops, not online websites:

http://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services

Total Digital is the shop, not Electronic Empire.

gel's picture

Here is the price you use:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_51&products_id=4766

No more, no less.   Smile

Pages