31 posts / 0 new
Last post
GMK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 23/01/2009 - 01:29
Posts: 340
Where's my clarity gone?

In the last few days, my system sounds completely different. I seem to have lost most of my clarity. It all sounds muffled, cloudy and closed in. I've checked speaker connections, interconnects, I've tried two different amps, cd players, multiple speakers, two different interconnects and two types of speaker wire. Could my electricity supply be at fault? I just can't understand it

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1015
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

Gibs_MK wrote:

In the last few days, my system sounds completely different. I seem to have lost most of my clarity. It all sounds muffled, cloudy and closed in. I've checked speaker connections, interconnects, I've tried two different amps, cd players, multiple speakers, two different interconnects and two types of speaker wire. Could my electricity supply be at fault? I just can't understand it

 

if you've tried all the above, sounds more like your ears are at fault.  Go get them syringed or something...

GMK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 23/01/2009 - 01:29
Posts: 340
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

My ears seem/sound fine. I've been working without a problem and my balance is ok

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3427
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

Whever I'm trying to identify a system sonic 'fault' I usually start by plugging my headphones directly into the source (CD player in this case), and assuming that still sounds fine, work forward from there. Amazing though how many people don't have at least a half-decent pair of cans for reference.

Have you had a cold? If so you may even have slight ETD and not even know it, other than your HiFi sounding muffled. Oh and syringing your ears won't fix ETD.

GMK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 23/01/2009 - 01:29
Posts: 340
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

Interesting but my ears definitely feel ok. No loss of volume or congestion, nor recovery from a cold etc. Tis most weird

csq2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 28/03/2010 - 20:07
Posts: 236
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

The same thing happened to me. However, I did manage to fix the problem within the past week. For the past several months, I've been trying to figure out what is causing a lack of sparkle in the treble. Before, the treble had pinpoint detailing and high notes were more defined. I replaced the speaker cable and although the sound improved a bit, the highs were still not great. I even tried blaming the Onkyo amp for the issue and even bought a brand new Pioneer Elite receiver to justify my claims. The Pioneer sounded warmer but the highs were still not there. It was until I realized I had connected both an rca cable and coaxial cable between my Hegel HD2 and Onkyo amp, which was causing the sound to be slightly muddled. Both cables were transmitting signal into two different inputs on the Onkyo simultaneously. I removed the rca cable with only the coaxial cable still connected and the sound is back to being detailed once again. Try to remove all your cables except the only cable that is supplying the signal. You may have other signals from other inputs interfering with the sound through the current input.

Phileas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/05/2012 - 13:43
Posts: 248
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

The sound of my system varies from day to day and week to week. I'm pretty sure it's due to my ears and or emotional state.

GMK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 23/01/2009 - 01:29
Posts: 340
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

csq2 wrote:

The same thing happened to me. However, I did manage to fix the problem within the past week. For the past several months, I've been trying to figure out what is causing a lack of sparkle in the treble. Before, the treble had pinpoint detailing and high notes were more defined. I replaced the speaker cable and although the sound improved a bit, the highs were still not great. I even tried blaming the Onkyo amp for the issue and even bought a brand new Pioneer Elite receiver to justify my claims. The Pioneer sounded warmer but the highs were still not there. It was until I realized I had connected both an rca cable and coaxial cable between my Hegel HD2 and Onkyo amp, which was causing the sound to be slightly muddled. Both cables were transmitting signal into two different inputs on the Onkyo simultaneously. I removed the rca cable with only the coaxial cable still connected and the sound is back to being detailed once again. Try to remove all your cables except the only cable that is supplying the signal. You may have other signals from other inputs interfering with the sound through the current input.

 

Interesting. I did try (for the first time) the other day an optical cable from CDP to amp. Which would make sense if it was still plugged in (which it's not). In addition I tried my Rotel pre/power and CDP as a comparison and I still seem to be missing presence and top end

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 43 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8216
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

Phileas wrote:

The sound of my system varies from day to day and week to week. I'm pretty sure it's due to my ears and or emotional state.

 

I've found this repeatedly with different set-ups over the years and I agree that ears and emotional state are a significant factor.  Mood has repeatedly affected the way I hear my system, to the point where I've learnt to be very careful about when I judge the sound the system is producing.

The issue with the Onkyo is a strange one.  Having owned one I have to say I never experienced the issue the OP is having and I'm at a loss as to what could be causing it.  Perhaps there is a fault somewhere?

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rotel RCD965BX - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

Would suggest it's not the Onkyo to blame, mainly as it's happening with other flavours of amp and/or speakers....?

GMK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 23/01/2009 - 01:29
Posts: 340
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

As TRS says, just to clarify, I've tried Onkyo/CD63/Various speakers, and also Rotel Pre/Power/CDP and various speakers. I've tried 2 different interconnects. I've tried 2 types of speaker wire. I've tried bi and single wiring. I've tried blowing my nose. I've tried Russ Andrews cotton buds...

Baldrick1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 days ago
Joined: 13/01/2013 - 10:34
Posts: 111
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

csq2 wrote:

...It was until I realized I had connected both an rca cable and coaxial cable between my Hegel HD2 and Onkyo amp, which was causing the sound to be slightly muddled. Both cables were transmitting signal into two different inputs on the Onkyo simultaneously. I removed the rca cable with only the coaxial cable still connected and the sound is back to being detailed once again. Try to remove all your cables except the only cable that is supplying the signal. You may have other signals from other inputs interfering with the sound through the current input.

I find that hard to believe but I will certainly give it a try and see if it has any effect on the clarity of sound when I play a disk on my CDP.

GMK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 23/01/2009 - 01:29
Posts: 340
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

Just to knock on the head the theory that my ears are on the blink, my car system sounds as good as it ever did. Talk Talk never sounded better this morning Dance 4

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

Gibs_MK wrote:

Just to knock on the head the theory that my ears are on the blink, my car system sounds as good as it ever did. Talk Talk never sounded better this morning Dance 4

happiness is easy Smile

GMK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 23/01/2009 - 01:29
Posts: 340
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

Finding audio nirvana is certainly not Dirol

sogophonio11's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 23/06/2011 - 16:10
Posts: 220
RE: Where's my clarity gone?

Now i am about to start something!:wall: Its all about mains! Your audio will sound different ,depending on weather, time of day, supply voltage etc.

There are many who will dismiss the use of mains conditioners etc. The national grid is mass of wires that brings power to our homes. It is vunerable to all sorts of things. The way we earth in this country affects sound quality also. When it rains, or it is very dry out,the time of day etc etc. All act to influence how our sound systems portray.

Using balanced power supplies, conditioners and the like, will all act to stabilise and improve things.

Trust me. Am i qualified to speak? Maybe a Bsc(Hons) in sound engineering?

And a lifetime involved in this.

Say no more, clean up your mains, try some of these products, they really do work.

After all, we spand thousands on our kit, but just plug it all in to the mains with a kettle lead!:O

Cheers

Pages

Log in or register to post comments