64 posts / 0 new
Last post
ellisdj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 hours ago
Joined: 11/12/2008 - 17:55
Posts: 1480
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

At the total budget, depsite a few recos - I would chop the B&W and look into going full Meridian DSP - right from the top down with a sooloos music server system.

 

If you shopped wisely, bought a few things used or traded in from a good dealer, which are as good as new trust me and sometime come with years of warranty then you could get a very good complete system from them

 

Quite a few people from the Meridian forum get into the Meridian sources / preamps / processors used analogue with speakers such as 802's then move onto dsp's.

 

Again you need to demo - but a nice set of 7200 and a 818 with MD600 and you are setup for the rest of your life.....

 

Another option to consider

Meridian 861 V4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST - GIK Acoustics

Monitor Audio PL100, PLC 150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA

Audio PC LPSU + Batts, JPLAY, JCAT and PPA Studio

65VT65, UD7007, Graham Slee Cables, Isotek, XLO,

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12709
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

ellisdj wrote:

At the total budget, depsite a few recos - I would chop the B&W and look into going full Meridian DSP - right from the top down with a sooloos music server system.

If you shopped wisely, bought a few things used or traded in from a good dealer, which are as good as new trust me and sometime come with years of warranty then you could get a very good complete system from them

Quite a few people from the Meridian forum get into the Meridian sources / preamps / processors used analogue with speakers such as 802's then move onto dsp's.

Again you need to demo - but a nice set of 7200 and a 818 with MD600 and you are setup for the rest of your life.....

Another option to consider

I agree that it makes sense for the OP to stand back and take a holistic look at the system, so that it is "balanced" and has synergy......and split the budget accordingly.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Sunny98007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 14/05/2013 - 15:32
Posts: 25
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

My room is about 5m*6m. Big enough for 802D? 

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12709
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

Sunny98007 wrote:

My room is about 5m*6m. Big enough for 802D? 

Probably......provided you can bring them out into the room a bit (0.5 - 1.5m from the rear wall, and at least 0.5m from the side wall).

Also, make sure your room isn't too reflective.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Sunny98007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 14/05/2013 - 15:32
Posts: 25
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

Today, I go to the dealer to hear 802D driven by Mclntosh  MC302 ( originally i want it be driven by Mclnosh MA 7000, pity they haven't!)with Pass per-amp. The source is Oppo 105. The sounding is so balanced and clear!  After a long period of comparing with other available speakers, I come to ensure my selves that this is what I want. But I cannot decide which amp I should adopt.  The dealer recommends the Gryphon Diablo. He claims that it's a little better for 802D than MA7000!  Would you give me more advice? Thank you!

Sunny98007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 14/05/2013 - 15:32
Posts: 25
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

Thanks a lot! What about the distance between listener and speakers? There must be a rule that can be followed, isn't it?

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12709
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

Sunny98007 wrote:

Today, I go to the dealer to hear 802D driven by Mclntosh  MC302 ( originally i want it be driven by Mclnosh MA 7000, pity they haven't!)with Pass per-amp. The source is Oppo 105. The sounding is so balanced and clear!  After a long period of comparing with other available speakers, I come to ensure my selves that this is what I want. But I cannot decide which amp I should adopt.  The dealer recommends the Gryphon Diablo. He claims that it's a little better for 802D than MA7000!  Would you give me more advice? Thank you!

There is a lot of money at stake here, so listen to as many amps as possible (that are up to the job) and pick the one you prefer. The speaker likes loads of power, to sound anywhere near its best. It also ideally needs a source that is better than the Oppo, so check that out as well.

If the dealer has Classe, Electrocompaniet or Bryston,  then they would also be worth a listen. What other brands does this dealer stock (or indeed that you may have access to)?

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12709
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

Sunny98007 wrote:

Thanks a lot! What about the distance between listener and speakers? There must be a rule that can be followed, isn't it?

Here is what B&W have to say (scroll to section 3):

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Downloads/Product/Manual/ENG_FP29505_802-Diamond_manual.pdf

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Sunny98007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 14/05/2013 - 15:32
Posts: 25
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

Yesterday , I went to the dealer to hear 802D driven by Gryphon Diablo. I think the sounding is amazing and enjoyable. I love it. Do you agree it is a good match for 802D?

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2142
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

Sunny98007 wrote:

Yesterday , I went to the dealer to hear 802D driven by Gryphon Diablo. I think the sounding is amazing and enjoyable. I love it. Do you agree it is a good match for 802D?

Without doubt a fine amp... how does it compare to others you have heard?

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12709
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

Sunny98007 wrote:

Yesterday , I went to the dealer to hear 802D driven by Gryphon Diablo. I think the sounding is amazing and enjoyable. I love it. Do you agree it is a good match for 802D?

I agree with Mac.....make sure you listen to other great amps, in order that you can put the Diablo in some kind of context. At this level, it is very easy to be so impressed that you stop looking. Remember, something only sounds great...until you hear better.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Sunny98007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 14/05/2013 - 15:32
Posts: 25
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

You are right! But I prefer an integrated Amp for my speaker. Furthermore, I am looking for an Amp just good enough for me rather than the best! Do you have any other suggestions? My budget for the Amp is less than $10k.

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2142
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

Sunny98007 wrote:

You are right! But I prefer an integrated Amp for my speaker. Furthermore, I am looking for an Amp just good enough for me rather than the best! Do you have any other suggestions? My budget for the Amp is less than $10k.

Having already listened to the likes of Gryphon and Mckintosh, you have certainly heard some of the best, so it's really down to what you thought of either amps and how you felt they matched with the B&W's.

If you are able to, try and demo Musical Fidelity AMS35I, Accuphase E460 -E560 or GamuT Di150.

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

MUSICRAFT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 31 min ago
Joined: 23/03/2009 - 20:38
Posts: 4639
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

Sunny98007 wrote:

My room is about 5m*6m. Big enough for 802D? 

Hi Sunny98007

Even if the room is minimumly furnished i feel that 802D's will be on the borderline in a room of this size. I would highly recommemd that you also audition the 802D's in your room.

Btw, Plinius Hiato integrated amplifier is also worth bearing in mind.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Musicraft (Derby) - Specialist Hi-Fi, AV & Multimedia dealer

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12709
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

Have you heard the McIntosh, and how did it compare with the Diablo?

Can you let us know if you have access to any of these brands (to demo with the B&Ws)

- Classe

- Plinius

- Musical Fidelity

- Electrocompaniet

- Bryston

- Pathos

- Accuphase

Remember, it is possible that the next model down "could" sound better in your room, especially if it allowed you to spend more on the amp.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Pages

Log in or register to post comments