35 posts / 0 new
Last post
David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11281
RE: Tone controls

RobinKidderminster wrote:
Can any amp have loads of bass or too bright? In any half decent amp one would hope that all frequencies are amplified equally - a flat curve. Isnt a bass heavy amp one which is amplifying the bass more.than other frequencies? Like a tone control then?

It isn't really an issue you'll get with an amp - it will be more down to the frequency response of the speaker in any given room.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3556
MajorFubar from the last damn

MajorFubar, from the last tone controls thread wrote:
I think the only useful post-script I can add is to remember that no tone-controls, EQ's or loudness-buttons will compensate for substandard kit. And that's partly why they got a bad name: too often they were plastered on substandard amps to both increase the visible gadget-count and to gloss-over the fact that fundamentally the amp sounded cr*p. Nor, realistically, will any bass-control or loudness-button make the woofer in a 10" tall budget stand-mount sound like range-topping 15" sub. Bear all that in mind and you'll be fine.
letsavit2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 25/07/2013 - 13:37
Posts: 248
RE: Tone controls

namefail wrote:

I'd guess it depends on how much your boosting the bass by, are your speakers really flapping? I've the same amp as you and have never had to turn it to 12 oclock but my speaks are 3db more sensitive than yours.

 

I turn the bass up mostly for low listening, it's not the amp it's the speakers. That's exactly it, they flap away and push plenty of air but I don't hear it! So say at 10 o'clock adding a little bass gives me the sound I want and am use to.  

 

How about the loudness button, I put that on sometimes, god forbid! 

letsavit2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 25/07/2013 - 13:37
Posts: 248
I lace my spag bog in

I lace my spag bog in vinegar, most do not!

eagle123's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/05/2012 - 18:24
Posts: 47
I got a roksan kandy no tone

I got a roksan kandy no tone controls, its paired with the kef r700, the cable are qed anniversary silver, the sound is a bit bright must be the cables, the source is a kandy cd player, used to have a technics z125 amp that had tone controls never used them left them on the half way stage, some said that adding graphic equalizers a no no as it dilutes the purity of the sound.

audipheonix's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 22/09/2011 - 18:27
Posts: 116
RE: Tone controls

namefail wrote:

I'd guess it depends on how much your boosting the bass by, are your speakers really flapping? I've the same amp as you and have never had to turn it to 12 oclock but my speaks are 3db more sensitive than yours.

Well Sometimes it sound very good indeed, but when it is at 8'o clock to 9'o clock in the volume dial then it feel that something is missing. What speaker and source you r using Namefail. I have put some bung in the port that seems to tighten up the sound a bit. It is a bit higher than normal listening position. and speaker seems to benefit from placing closer to the wall.

Amplifier : Yamaha AS500.

Speakers: Kef Q100.

Source: Pc, Portable Media Player and DVD Player.

Headphones: Sennheiser, Creative & Altec Lancing

Loads of different Cables.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3311
RE: Tone controls

letsavit2 wrote:

namefail wrote:

I'd guess it depends on how much your boosting the bass by, are your speakers really flapping? I've the same amp as you and have never had to turn it to 12 oclock but my speaks are 3db more sensitive than yours.

 

I turn the bass up mostly for low listening, it's not the amp it's the speakers. That's exactly it, they flap away and push plenty of air but I don't hear it! So say at 10 o'clock adding a little bass gives me the sound I want and am use to.  

 

How about the loudness button, I put that on sometimes, god forbid! 

Actually a proper loudness control, ie one that reduces it's effect as the volume is raised, is probably better and safer then regular tone controls.

Personally I think tone controls, particularly on budget amplifiers, are lethal devices, for bass units at least.

People do not seem to realise that the bass control is in effect a second volume control. Amplifiers have limited power (volume) and you can only use this power once, as far as using your amplifier's power is concerned turning up the bass control is the same as turning up the volume.

Turning up both is going to cause damage.

Covenanter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 10:16
Posts: 1327
Never use them. Chris

Never use them.
Chris

Marantz PM8005 / SA8005 / KEF R700s / AKG K702

namefail's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 31/07/2013 - 19:30
Posts: 194
RE: Tone controls RE: Tone controls

audipheonix wrote:

namefail wrote:

I'd guess it depends on how much your boosting the bass by, are your speakers really flapping? I've the same amp as you and have never had to turn it to 12 oclock but my speaks are 3db more sensitive than yours.

What speaker and source you r using Namefail.

 

An old pair of Mission 732i

Diamond Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 01/03/2008 - 14:35
Posts: 1297
I use the bass control on my

I use the bass control on my Audiolab 8000A occasionally, thanks to modern house construction I have to reduce the amount of bass so I don't annoy my nearest neighbour (he's bigger than me!!) I did try plugging the ports but the overall sound was a bit, well, odd, for want of a better word.

TrevC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 12/06/2013 - 10:07
Posts: 761
RE: I got a roksan kandy no tone

eagle123 wrote:
I got a roksan kandy no tone controls, its paired with the kef r700, the cable are qed anniversary silver, the sound is a bit bright must be the cables, the source is a kandy cd player, used to have a technics z125 amp that had tone controls never used them left them on the half way stage, some said that adding graphic equalizers a no no as it dilutes the purity of the sound.

 

Ignore them, they are talking nonsense. Good eq is the key to good sound.

TrevC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 12/06/2013 - 10:07
Posts: 761
RE: Tone controls

davedotco wrote:

letsavit2 wrote:

namefail wrote:

I'd guess it depends on how much your boosting the bass by, are your speakers really flapping? I've the same amp as you and have never had to turn it to 12 oclock but my speaks are 3db more sensitive than yours.

 

I turn the bass up mostly for low listening, it's not the amp it's the speakers. That's exactly it, they flap away and push plenty of air but I don't hear it! So say at 10 o'clock adding a little bass gives me the sound I want and am use to.  

 

How about the loudness button, I put that on sometimes, god forbid! 

Actually a proper loudness control, ie one that reduces it's effect as the volume is raised, is probably better and safer then regular tone controls.

Personally I think tone controls, particularly on budget amplifiers, are lethal devices, for bass units at least.

People do not seem to realise that the bass control is in effect a second volume control. Amplifiers have limited power (volume) and you can only use this power once, as far as using your amplifier's power is concerned turning up the bass control is the same as turning up the volume.

Turning up both is going to cause damage.

 

I think you're being over dramatic. Moderate tone control use is perfectly acceptable and not dangerous at all. Indeed, if you have small stand mounters and no sub an approprite dollop of bass boost can be very pleasing indeed.

dansettemajor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 10:24
Posts: 30
Tone Controls

I think the whole 'no tone controls purist' debate is a load of twaddle. Back in the 60's it was considered acceptable for loudspeaker reviewers to use small amounts of bass boost when testing bookshelf speakers in order to achieve more realistic results from them.
Then there is the fact that most adults over the age of 60 will experience a gradual high frequency hearing loss , thus the availability of a treble control can be very useful for subtly enhancing detail where this has diminished somewhat.
My amplifier doesn't have tone controls, but I occasionally use a Musical a Fidelity X Tone add on tone control when I need slightly more' bite'or depth to the sound.( I am over 60)
I wouldn't be put off buying an amplifier which doesn't have tone controls, but neither would I reject one which does.. I would certainly use them (sparingly) if they were there.

cse's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 03/03/2008 - 11:51
Posts: 469
RE: Roksan Caspian 2 amp has no

dayglowred7 wrote:
Food is seasoned whilst cooking , not added to after.

Absolutely right. I also have a Caspian Mk1 model. It also has no tone controls and I'm not sure that I have ever really missed them.

Richard Allen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 09/01/2010 - 16:56
Posts: 600
RE: I got a roksan kandy no tone

TrevC wrote:
Ignore them, they are talking nonsense. Good eq is the key to good sound.

And how you achieve it is entirely up to the user.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments