21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Electro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 30/03/2011 - 11:34
Posts: 1216
RE: Panic Job. Speaker cable first

The_Lhc wrote:

Electro wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

andyjm wrote:
The number of strands has nothing to do with the current carrying capability of the cable - you need to focus on cross sectional area of the conductor. Unless your cables are running all over the place, 2.5mmsq will do the trick.  Solid core 2.5mmsq mains twin and earth (that your sparky uses for ringmains and will have a roll in the back of his van) makes fine speaker cable.

There are actually good reasons why solid conductor cables (may) sound better than multistrand, so don't be put off from using them because they are 'for house wiring'.

Somebody fairly recently posted an engineering paper on the (extensively measured) differences between various types of speaker cable, from memory the only cable that significantly degraded the signal travelling through it was mains cable (although it was American mains cable, which may be different to ours).

Hopefully somebody will remember the paper I'm talking about and repost the link. Interesting reading.

 

Was it this one Smile

 

http://www.apiguide.net/04actu/04musik/AES-cableInteractions.pdf

Hang on, checking status of author's beard.... status: cracking! Yes, that's the one...

Glad to have been of service  Smile but how did you know I have a beard or was it just a lucky guess :?   Wink

Main system .

Electrocompaniet EMC 1 up , Monarchy Audio DIP, ECD 1 dac , EC4.8 preamp , 2x AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC Pb1i speakers .

scene's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 26 min ago
Joined: 25/09/2008 - 12:48
Posts: 2974
RE: Panic Job. Speaker cable first

On a point made earlier. Strictly speaking there are some regulations relating into the type of cables you can embed in a wall. There are also some draft ones regarding lszh or lsoh (low smoke zero halogen) coverings for cables, but I don't think those are in force for residential builds. 

One thing that is worth doing is running the cables through trunking in the wall so it can be replaced more readily in the future - say should you decide the coat hanger wire is a little too bright Wink

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 23 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3087
RE: Panic Job. Speaker cable first

The_Lhc wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Interesting. 

The conclusion does suggest that 12AWG 'wire' works well and that is roughly 3 sqmm. It is also a tiny fraction of the cost of branded speaker cable.

Note, twin and earth can be either solid core or stranded (8-12 strands), the paper suggests stranded might be better but I doubt the difference would be significant in practice.

My mistake it was the car battery jumper cables that were rubbish. Does suggest that different pieces of wire can have an impact (so maybe leave the coat-hangers in the wardrobe) but as you say whether it's noticable in the real world is a different matter.

My 'proper' system is passive and glows in the dark courtesy of some rather nice EL34s, the speaker cables that were 'designed' to go with it comprise (paired) single runs of multistrand (hundreds of strands) cables.

I assumed that the very large number of very fine strands was important sound quality wise, but it turns out that they were cables designed for the test probes on expensive measuring gear and chosen for their flexibility and the fact that they came in black and red as standard..... :doh:

steveal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/09/2013 - 20:42
Posts: 8
RE: Panic Job. Speaker cable first

philipjohnwright,

 

Yes, I'm sure there are some interesting alternatives to the remote speaker option. Having installed wires, I can decide at my leisure which route to take.

I sometimes think that a good quality DAB radio might do the trick. In addition, I currently have much of my music as FLAC files on my computer, connected to my main hi-fi system with a Squeezebox Touch. Is there scope to extend that to the new extension?

 

Decisions, decisions. Any help would be appreciated.

steveal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/09/2013 - 20:42
Posts: 8
RE: Panic Job. Speaker cable first

Thanks to all who commented. I went with these, suggested by abacus:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/electrical-cable/speaker_cable/SLX-Gold-OFC-Speaker-Cable-2-x-79-Strand-20m-9686718

Partly because I had to visit B&Q to get some tiles.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments