127 posts / 0 new
Last post
the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: My first Hi-Fi system doesnt sound quite right

Brib7 wrote:

the record spot wrote:

Brib7 wrote:

I'm confused now. Are you still saying that your speakers do reproduce deep bass? Or just that they reproduce deep enough bass for you?

 

Please tell me, with not only this thread, but the means to use a search function as is provided on this forum you haven't worked this out yet?  No, really, please tell me this isn't the case?  

 

Yet another hint:    :read:

What on earth are you on about?  :roll:

 

After all of this thread, where I've tried to put across in words that might explain where I am coming from, you still haven't grasped my point?  

Sir, I don't believe that the issue here is mine...now, where's that rolleyes thingmybub....?

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: My first Hi-Fi system doesnt sound quite right

Thompsonuxb wrote:

But its a pointless argument unless you define your perception of deep bass, then we would have some point of reference - i genuinly think this is an interesting argument at its core,,,,seriously.

Yes, agreed, but without a definition from our friend what he think deep bass is - and I suspect he means the abilities of a speaker to reach those low notes you get from piano, double bass, etc, and give you something like a believeable return - then this discussion is a non-starter.  

 

 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: My first Hi-Fi system doesnt sound quite right

Thompsonuxb wrote:

Brib7 wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

Brib7 ...pls define 'deep bass' in your view.

I don't think I could define it to be honest, but I'm pretty sure you won't get it from tiny speakers with 4 inch drivers. Do you agree?

 

No, I've come across some small speakers probably 4 to 6 inches with huge magnets hanging off the back of them that can do very deep bass. To be fair you should check out the specs on those DC4s , 87db sensitivity 200watt into 8ohm with a qualty amp those speakers will produce frequencies.

But its a pointless argument unless you define your perception of deep bass, then we would have some point of reference - i genuinly think this is an interesting argument at its core,,,,seriously.

Sure, there are some smallish speakers that can reproduce punchy bass, PMC DB1i's and Dynaudio DM 2/6 spring to mind, but if memory serves me, they have 5 inch drivers, and it's debatable whether their bass output would be considered deep.

These minituare Tannoy's have 4 inch drivers and only go down to 67 Hz apparently, they cannot reproduce deep bass, they just won't move enough air. 

I suspect the other poster would have been better off just admitting this from the start, it doesn't make them bad speakers, they may be lovely sounding little things, but his insistence that they reproduce deep bass is plain daft, moreso considering his admitting hearing Tannoy westministers, now they can reproduce deep bass.

 

 

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
Tannoy DC4 thread hijack

Brib7 wrote:

These minituare Tannoy's have 4 inch drivers and only go down to 67 Hz apparently, they cannot reproduce deep bass, they just won't move enough air. 

I suspect the other poster would have been better off just admitting this from the start, it doesn't make them bad speakers, they may be lovely sounding little things, but his insistence that they reproduce deep bass is plain daft, moreso considering his admitting hearing Tannoy westministers, now they can reproduce deep bass.

 

Here's something else that'll make you choke on your cornflakes tomorrow morning, in the right room, these speakers will deliver a bigger sound than many folk would give them credit for.  You included presumably.  Lovely big wide soundstage.    

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: My first Hi-Fi system doesnt sound quite right

Brib7 wrote:

I suspect the other poster would have been better off just admitting this from the start, it doesn't make them bad speakers, they may be lovely sounding little things, but his insistence that they reproduce deep bass is plain daft, moreso considering his admitting hearing Tannoy westministers, now they can reproduce deep bass.

 

Haha, you're just showing up your ignorance.  For the love of the Hoff, this is beyond priceless.  They're great speakers, they produce a great bass for their size in the right room.  The problem is your understanding, or lack of it.  Not mine mate.  :read:

Wouldn't it just be easier if you admitted you can't see beyond the end of your nose, or that you missed the salient point in your interpretation (or lack of it really) in my posts?  You're so far off the beaten path, I doubt the Ordnance Survey has a map for you...

Thompsonuxb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 19/02/2012 - 14:24
Posts: 873
RE: My first Hi-Fi system doesnt sound quite right

Brib7 wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

Brib7 wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

Brib7 ...pls define 'deep bass' in your view.

I don't think I could define it to be honest, but I'm pretty sure you won't get it from tiny speakers with 4 inch drivers. Do you agree?

 

No, I've come across some small speakers probably 4 to 6 inches with huge magnets hanging off the back of them that can do very deep bass. To be fair you should check out the specs on those DC4s , 87db sensitivity 200watt into 8ohm with a qualty amp those speakers will produce frequencies.

But its a pointless argument unless you define your perception of deep bass, then we would have some point of reference - i genuinly think this is an interesting argument at its core,,,,seriously.

Sure, there are some smallish speakers that can reproduce punchy bass, PMC DB1i's and Dynaudio DM 2/6 spring to mind, but if memory serves me, they have 5 inch drivers, and it's debatable whether their bass output would be considered deep.

These minituare Tannoy's have 4 inch drivers and only go down to 67 Hz apparently, they cannot reproduce deep bass, they just won't move enough air. 

 

 

 

thats the thing, your talking about 'shifting air' thats volume, its not frequency range - 4, 5, 6 inches - there are speakers that produce good quality bass with small drivers, with the right amp - maybe not the volume/loudness but Bass.

 

but to the pair of you I say agree to disagree - lets shake and call it a day...... Smile

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3347
RE: Tannoy DC4 thread hijack

the record spot wrote:

Here's something else that'll make you choke on your cornflakes tomorrow morning, in the right room, these speakers will deliver a bigger sound than many folk would give them credit for.  You included presumably.  Lovely big wide soundstage.    

You forgot to add 'so there' and maybe a sticky out tongue smilie.

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Tannoy DC4 thread hijack

Overdose wrote:

the record spot wrote:

Here's something else that'll make you choke on your cornflakes tomorrow morning, in the right room, these speakers will deliver a bigger sound than many folk would give them credit for.  You included presumably.  Lovely big wide soundstage.    

You forgot to add 'so there' and maybe a sticky out tongue smilie.

 

A good point well made:-

 

   

 

So there!  The eye of newt will follow tomorrow.

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: My first Hi-Fi system doesnt sound quite right

Thompsonuxb wrote:

but to the pair of you I say agree to disagree - lets shake and call it a day...... Smile

 

LOL, yes, but it's such fun...!  Anyway, here's another review of the DC4 that I think covers off it's strongpoints and it's not so strongpoints pretty well.

 

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/tannoy_dc4_e.html

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3347
RE: Tannoy DC4 thread hijack

First off, apologies to the OP, but this has already gone way off into the rough.

Most of the reviews seem to say that the DC4s, lovely as they are, are a bit bass light. They may well be absolutely fine in some situations and for some people (for you they are and for you that's all that really matters), but this argument is one of prespective and all things being equal, a bigger driver will always give a more authorative and greater frequency range of bass.

From the various published online graphs of the DC4s the drop from 67Hz is pretty steep and even at just before the 67Hz, the signal seems to be 6dB down on the mean frequency range dB level.

So IMO, I'd say that the DC4s wouldn't do 'deep bass' especially well, unless deep bass was considered to be over 67Hz.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Tannoy DC4 thread hijack

Overdose wrote:

First off, apologies to the OP, but this has already gone way off into the rough.

Most of the reviews seem to say that the DC4s, lovely as they are, are a bit bass light. They may well be absolutely fine in some situations and for some people (for you they are and for you that's all that really matters), but this argument is one of prespective and all things being equal, a bigger driver will always give a more authorative and greater frequency range of bass.

From the various published online graphs of the DC4s the drop from 67Hz is pretty steep and even at just before the 67Hz, the signal seems to be 6dB down on the mean frequency range dB level.

So IMO, I'd say that the DC4s wouldn't do 'deep bass' especially well, unless deep bass was considered to be over 67Hz.

Spot on!
the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Tannoy DC4 thread hijack

Yes, but we're talking about two differnet kinds of "deep" here Bribby old son...you don't seem to have understood that at all and you apparently still don't.  Still, do carry on by all means.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Tannoy DC4 thread hijack

the record spot wrote:

Yes, but we're talking about two differnet kinds of "deep" here Bribby old son...you don't seem to have understood that at all and you apparently still don't.  Still, do carry on by all means.

Nonsense, you responded to the first person to question your silly claims in a narky manner,  rather than just saying the bass is satisfactory for you, and you've been twisting words, casting aspersions and generally behaving like a big condescending baby ever since!

The What Hi-Fi review tallys with most of the rest of the reviews, and with logic, in that your speakers - however good they may be - simply do not, and cannot, reproduce "deep bass".

End of story!

 

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Tannoy DC4 thread hijack

Brib7 wrote:

]Nonsense, you responded to the first person to question your silly claims in a narky manner,  rather than just saying the bass is satisfactory for you, and you've been twisting words, casting aspersions and generally behaving like a big condescending baby ever since!

The What Hi-Fi review tallys with most of the rest of the reviews, and with logic, in that your speakers - however good they may be - simply do not, and cannot, reproduce "deep bass".

End of story!

 

No, you took my comments out of context, didn;'t check and despite my clarifications, you still can't get it into your little head that your fixated on "deep bass" as meaning one thing and one thing only.  Your problem matey boy lies with you.  Yes, you.  End of story eh?  Methinks not...

Here is the first comment I made where I mentioned "deep":-

"In my room, they give good bass.  Deep, tuneful and controlled.  Now, how you want to interpret what the book says, that's your issue, but for me, the reality is I don't feel shortchanged.  Moreso with the HK amp which really goes deep"

Yes?  Right off I have made it clear in my room - as the room interaction is important - and I have described that bass, in my room remember, as I have done in the first sentence.  I then clarify that for me the bass doesn't leave me feel shortchanged.  The HK amp is a neutral amp but digs deep as well.  The two work well together.  

You reply:-

"What Hi-Fi say they do"

Which to my mind is a non-answer.  So what?  That's in WHF's room, it's not representative of every room.  It's not representative of mine.  I'm sitting 6feet or so from the speakers.  I get a good level of bass as is alaso reflected in the TNT-Audio review link I posted.  Your problem is what, that I used the adjective "deep" to describe some of the bass I get back, but that that term doesn't mean in your eyes what it should?  Behave.  You've been fixated on that word ever since, so it's not my problem that you;re not willing to accept multiple clarifications and leave it be.  It merely shows you up in a poor light.  I stand by my views and comments about this speaker and will happily defend them in context.  Please note - in context!  

There's no issue for me here, you have your view and I have mine, except your issue is around a word and that was cleared up ages ago.  You're stuck on a theory, you've not heard the speaker at all, and you've not heard it in my room.  I read spec sheets too, but I value experience and hearing an item.  Shame you haven;t got the good grace to accept that.  

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: My first Hi-Fi system doesnt sound quite right

OK.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments