796 posts / 0 new
Last post
CnoEvil's picture
RE: Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

acalex wrote:

Were you impressed with any of the demo? Did it really make a meaningful difference?

It is the best that I have heard this type of device sound....if the price hadn't gone up due the price of copper, I might have bought one. The problem was, they were very scarce, and I couldn't get my hands on one for an extended home demo, and wasn't prepared to take a punt given the vagaries that exist with mains products in individual circumstances.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

acalex's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

Were you impressed with any of the demo? Did it really make a meaningful difference?

It is the best that I have heard this type of device sound....if the price hadn't gone up due the price of copper, I might have bought one. The problem was, they were very scarce, and I couldn't get my hands on one for an extended home demo, and wasn't prepared to take a punt given the vagaries that exist with mains products in individual circumstances.

I understand, once my cable hunt is over I will extensively look for the electric nirvana... Smile

I hope to get a nice fat end of the year bonus  :cheers:

Roby's picture

First of all came back From Alex's place.... But I let him explain.....

I just conected the 330l..(I know Alex that I said I wouls wait afther dinner but......)

First of all you know the wow effect????? Well that's what I have....

It superb...Fast clean smoot....

Now I know it's first impression so I will cinfirm my finding afther a serious litening session....

But for now My question is....will I ever be able to discinnect this??????

CnoEvil's picture

Roby wrote:

Now I know it's first impression so I will cinfirm my finding afther a serious litening session....

This is exactly why you have to go through the cable demo process......a list of best to worst will gradually sort itself out. I believe cable brands have a  house sound, and just like with any other component, you will find yourslf drawn to one. If the Siltech becomes the one to beat, use it to compare the ones you haven't heard (Atlas Mavros / TQ Ultra Black / Cardas Clear Light).

Once you have finally chosen the brand that works for you, it's then a matter of deciding where the VFM sweetspot is in the range, for both the i/c and the s/c (which might be different). 

With cables you can end up paying a lot of money for a moderate increase in performance, so this has to be very carefully evaluated.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

acalex's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

Roby wrote:

This is exactly why you have to go through the cable demo process......a list of best to worst will gradually sort itself out. I believe cable brands have a  house sound, and just like with any other component, you will find yourslf drawn to one. If the Siltech becomes the one to beat, use it to compare the ones you haven't heard (Atlas Mavros / TQ Ultra Black / Cardas Clear Light).

Once you have finally chosen the brand that works for you, it's then a matter of deciding where the VFM sweetspot is in the range, for both the i/c and the s/c (which might be different). 

With cables you can end up paying a lot of money for a moderate increase in performance, so this has to be very carefully evaluated.

I have just written a quick sum-up of our listening session at my place in the other thread...indeed the Siltech are still the ones to beat 

CnoEvil's picture

acalex wrote:

I have just written a quick sum-up of our listening session at my place in the other thread...indeed the Siltech are still the ones to beat 

You have gone through, what I would love to have done......which is to directly compare Vertere with something comparible. My memory of them matches what I read in the WHF reviews: http://www.whathifi.com/review/pulse-x

and: http://www.whathifi.com/review/pulse-b

Roby's picture

I actualy think they never heard the Siltech's   Dance 4

btw the price seems to be wrong here they cost more 1700€ for 2x3m I think

It's actually that good that it's hard to switch it of an go to bed  :wall:

CnoEvil's picture

Roby wrote:

Has your view of the Linn DS changed enough to consider getting one?  :?

acalex's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

Roby wrote:

Has your view of the Linn DS changed enough to consider getting one?  :?

I think it has! It is also changing his point of view about streaming in general as he finds quite handy and nice to sit on sofa and using ipad to flip through CDs. 

The still weak link is the fat DAC is not exportable which I keep saying is not a bad thing either. As in my opinion the Akurate is only for personal and good listening. Whenever I want to do any casual listening (iphone, Ipad etc) or partying then I won't bother to switch on the Akurate...he could keep using the SBT for that  or a good AV amplifier! :read:

acalex's picture

Well, apparently this weekend we are going to have some demo cables of TQ Ultra Black and Graphite, thanks Rob for that Wink

CnoEvil's picture

acalex wrote:

Well, apparently this weekend we are going to have some demo cables of TQ Ultra Black and Graphite, thanks Rob for that Wink

That indeed will be very interesting.

Nb. Try to get the Blue and Black power cords as well...........The Blue won HFW Best Power Cable this year, and they said this, which could help your (and Rob's) situation - "It had a focused punchy bass, offered a better balanced presentation for the vinyl front end, injecting more air into the upper frequencies, while draining some of the claustrophobic bass".

acalex's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

That indeed will be very interesting.

Nb. Try to get the Blue and Black power cords as well...........The Blue won HFW Best Power Cable this year, and they said this, which could help your (and Rob's) situation - "It had a focused punchy bass, offered a better balanced presentation for the vinyl front end, injecting more air into the upper frequencies, while draining some of the claustrophobic bass".

great advice, I think it would make sense to try the all set together.

In the meantime just git an email...somebody might drop some black ravioli this coming week to our shop in Antwerp, looking forward Wink

CnoEvil's picture

acalex wrote:

great advice, I think it would make sense to try the all set together.

Agreed

acalex wrote:

In the meantime just git an email...somebody might drop some black ravioli this coming week to our shop in Antwerp, looking forward Wink

That just leaves Cardas and Atlas......the winner out of all that lot, will certainly be deserving.....and I wonder if you and Rob will end up with the same stuff.

acalex's picture

I am more and more certain it will end up like that and we will get the same kit :). 

I am actually thinking, if I like so much a specific brand, that might be worth to go for the best achievable which might be the 770l if I chose Siltech and the asimi if I can get a good deal on the atlas :). In this way I am set for life Smile

CnoEvil's picture

acalex wrote:

I am more and more certain it will end up like that and we will get the same kit :). 

I am actually thinking, if I like so much a specific brand, that might be worth to go for the best achievable which might be the 770l if I chose Siltech and the asimi if I can get a good deal on the atlas :). In this way I am set for life Smile

I preferred the Mavros to the Asimi, and didn't think much of it until Woollyjoe posted this; http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/calling-all-plinius-users

By all means try the Asimi, but make sure you listen to the Mavros.

Pages