3 posts / 0 new
Last post
dalethorn's picture
Soundmagic HP-150 Audiophile Closed-back Stereo Headphone review
English
Here's the latest from Soundmagic - the HP150 - and here I think Soundmagic has combined the best qualities of the open-back HP200 with the best of the closed-back HP100 into the closed-back (but spacious) HP150.  I can summarize my recommendation this way: If I were stuck somewhere with my music and player and just the HP150 for the rest of my life (a few years at least), I'd be very happy - it's a great musical sound.   http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4145

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

quadpatch's picture
Great review Dale! I really

Great review Dale! I really loved the HP100 so if it's any improvement on that sonic-wise then it's not to be under-estimated. 

I'm glad to see they have gotten rid of the horrible shiny effect of the HP100 though as it was the main annoyance from the looks dpeartment. Although I would prefer them to have also gotten rid of the rotating join (commonly associated with DJs) I can't see them removing this now as it would require a big redesign and they seem to be keeping everything the same these days. I would have also liked them to ditch the locking mechanism for the cable and simply have a push-in connector like everybody else, but oh well. Everyone else doing removable cables now makes a very small connector so you pretty much have to buy their cables anyway, but I wonder if something like the B&O H6 cable will fit in the HP150 (any idea Dale?).

Given that the headphone design is almost completely unchanged from the HP100 I wonder if there is any increase to the depth of the ear-cups, allwing for more ear room (again, any idea Dale?). My ears always touched the driver on the HP100/200. 

I noticed you mentioned that there was a lot of metal and no plastic to the HP150. Are you sure you didn't mean that the other way around? As the HP100 is all plastic and I imagine that's the main reason it's so light. If it was all metal I imagine it would be as heavy as the Hifiman HE-500 (which is insanely heavy). 

dalethorn's picture
Hey Edd - good to see these

Hey Edd - good to see these questions, since I forget sometimes. It could very well be all plastic, but the quality is impressive and it doesn't feel 'plasticy', so that's a plus. The DJ swivels are a nuisance - there, I said it. Earcup depth is shallow, but the small round swelling in the center is over the ear canal and where my ears touch is more recessed, so maybe maybe not. I found a cable skinny enough for that earcup jack, and it works and it's secure, but I have to say that 6 cables I tried first looked skinny enough but weren't, so I'd recommend testing several or shaving one just enough to slide in. As to sonic improvement, I have to hedge on that one. The recess I noted around 150 to 200 hz is pretty significant, so there you go.

Edit: As best I can measure that sleeve would have to be no more than 5.15 mm in diameter for the miniplug to go into the earcup securely.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.