13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sizzers's picture
Creaking?Squeaking AKG K702's
English

I haven’t had my phones on for a couple of weeks or so but put them on this evening whilst on the PC.

Anyway, they’re now creaking every time my head moves which is seriously annoying and needless to say spoiling the enjoyment of my tunes, particularly on vocal and acoustic albums. I’ve had the “squeaks” from them before but nothing like this, so any suggestions for a remedy would be greatly appreciated.

quadpatch's picture
RE: Creaking?Squeaking AKG K702's

I had this and it was because I was wearing glasses. It was really weird because it didn't feel like it was them that was causing it, but I took them off and away the noise went. Could that be it for you?

Sizzers's picture

quadpatch wrote:

I had this and it was because I was wearing glasses. It was really weird because it didn't feel like it was them that was causing it, but I took them off and away the noise went. Could that be it for you?

You're a diamond!!!

Yep, you got it -  took them off and perfect silence! (not much use though as I can't see the screen lol). I had the squeaks before but I've had new glasses since and this was awful. This is most definitely in the all-time "Top Ten" of free hi-fi tweaks....take your glasses of when listening to headphones!!!

Weird, but thanks ever so much.

Malc

quadpatch's picture

Hehe, you're welcome! This is why sometimes I prefer on-ears for work because I can rest the arms of the glasses on top of the ear cushions, avoiding the problem entirely, but with them it's a comfort necessity too. I do this for the VModa (and formally the Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs). The AKG is the only one of the larger headphone that has done this so badly though I must say, the Denon and Beyerdynamic don't really cause it at all. 

Sizzers's picture

Well many thanks again – I was getting worried!

I should – and probably will – start a separate thread for this, but have you any suggestions for a set of closed cans which might approach the K’s for clarity, detail, and perhaps more importantly soundstage? Probably asking a lot,but you never know!

My listening circumstances may well be changing over the coming months so just trying to plan ahead a bit. Max budget would be no more than £250 (and no stretching!) so any pointers would be much appreciated (they’re still creaking by the way, but will take my glasses off in a while and have a lie down lol).

Thanks again.

quadpatch's picture

Hmmm well there is the AKG K550 but I (and a few other people) couldn't get on with the fit of that one. It's too loose, which killed the bass and the sound in general for me. If I pushed the cups into my head continuously they sounded OK, but I must say - a lot of people (including whf) love them. They are about £180 but I did see them drop to £140 on Amazon for a bit. If you want to read more of what I thought about that one here is a review I wrote:

http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/akg-k550-review.html

There are a few options for good detail but i think you will struggle to get that soundstage in a closed headphone. This seems to be a bit of a fundimental law (more isolation = less soundstage), although there are some that have a nice balance. I like the VModa M-80 and the Denon AH-Dxxxx models but the later are discontinued and might be a bit heavy on bass for you (maybe, the sound is not a negative one for me).  

Anyway, a couple other good closed headphones for detail are the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro, Shure make some (940 I think is the top one). I haven't heard that last one though, that's just a recommendation from what I've read.

I will have more of a think and get back to you... have a nice weekend Smile

dalethorn's picture

The SoundMagic HP100 seems to fit the requirements, and it's very comfy and glasses are no problem. Should be about £170.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

Sizzers's picture

Thanks both for the suggestions.

I haven’t done any real proper research on closed back phones up to now as this may not be something I’ll need to look at for a few months but somehow this post triggered the reminder in my head.

Now the SoundMagic look very interesting indeed. A quick look round before work this morning picked up Dalethorn’s excellent review of them and also this one here amongst others. I’ve always heard excellent things about SoundMagic but was only aware that they made IEM’s up until now so these will most definitiely be on the hit list.

I’m not too sure about the Shure’s but the Beyer’s I will also most definitely look in to. I owned a pair of Beyer’s the best part of 40-years ago and remember being quite blown away by them. I’ve no idea what the model was but I recall buying them from Currys for around £40.

Anyway, thanks again for the pointers and those SoundMagics have got me really intrigued now!

quadpatch's picture

Oh yeah, the SoundMAGIC HP100, how could I forget about them? Dale already convinced me to get these. I will do my own review once I get some time with them. Yeah from what I have heard from Dale and others they seem like a really great pair of headphones. Although I have the V-Moda M-100 on pre-order (could also be interesting for you), I am very close to getting the HP100 as well.

Dale has a couple of the open back Shures btw, he seems pretty keen on them. The Shure SRH-940 is £173 on Amazon and here is a review of it from Headfonia...

http://www.headfonia.com/shure-srh-940-detail-monster/

Covenanter's picture

Mine don't squeak and I wear glasses.  I must be doing somethign wrong!  ROFL

Chris

Marantz PM8005 / SA8005 / KEF R700s / AKG K702

Sizzers's picture

Covenanter wrote:

Mine don't squeak and I wear glasses.  I must be doing somethign wrong!  ROFL

Chris

Metal rimmed perhaps?

Covenanter's picture

Yep, titanium if that matters.  :grin:

Chris

Marantz PM8005 / SA8005 / KEF R700s / AKG K702

Sizzers's picture

Not particularly.

Just that having identified the cause I could't imagine metal frames squeaking/creaking that's all