10 posts / 0 new
Last post
uniquexme's picture
Ripping Audio CD to 24/96?

i have been using itunes to rip CDs, and it always end up to 16/44. i was wondering if there is any software that can rip to 24/96? can it be done? or CD max rate is 16/44? I also used XLD to convert downloaded FLAC to ALAC but it seems my entire collection is 16bit/44. Actually i just realise it only today. 

Overdose's picture
RE: Ripping Audio CD to 24/96?

A CDs bit rate and sampling frequency is 16/44.1, you won't end up with anything else when ripping them.

spiny norman's picture

uniquexme wrote:
i have been using itunes to rip CDs, and it always end up to 16/44. i was wondering if there is any software that can rip to 24/96? can it be done? or CD max rate is 16/44? I also used XLD to convert downloaded FLAC to ALAC but it seems my entire collection is 16bit/44. Actually i just realise it only today.

There's software able to turn CD rips into 24/96 files, or 24/88.2, but there's no point whatsoeever. All you'll get is bgigger file sizes and absolutely no gain in sound quality, or even possibly some loss in quality due to the 'conversion'.

ellisdj's picture

There is quite a few who would disagree with upsampling music being negative to quality.  Some big names as well (and little individuals Smile )

They suggest only ever doubling though so 44/16 to 88/24  - there are filters used in upsampling and the options are almost limitless - all making quite a difference to the sound

trust your own ears though as its good fun doing it

Meridian 861 V4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST

Monitor Audio PL100, GXC 150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA

Custom Audio PC LPSU + Batts, JPLAY, JCAT and PPA Studio

Panny 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, Graham Slee Analogue and Digital Cables, Isotek

pauln's picture
RE: Ripping Audio CD to 24/96? RE: Ripping Audio CD to 24/96?

ellisdj wrote:

There is quite a few who would disagree with upsampling music being negative to quality.  Some big names as well (and little individuals Smile )

How can you add something that wasn't there to start with just by upsampling? Do you have to sprinkle fairy dust over your hifi or something?

ellisdj wrote:

You should get out more.

MajorFubar's picture

uniquexme wrote:

I think where you may be getting confused is that when you rip a CD, iTunes doesn't basically listen to the CD at super-fast speed and digitise it at 16/44.1, it copies the digital audio files from the CD* (which are already 16/44.1) to your hard-drive in the format you specifiy. So it can't ever rip it at a resolution greater than that.

*Someone's surely gonna come along and claim I've over-simplified the process and start banging-on about error-correction etc, but in Noddy language that's basically what ripping is.

Overdose's picture

ellisdj wrote:
They suggest only ever doubling though so 44/16 to 88/24  - there are filters used in upsampling and the options are almost limitless - all making quite a difference to the sound

If resampling a file makes a difference to the sound, then the process should be avoided at all costs if you really want as high a quality as possible.

I think the term used when a signal is changed by a process is distortion.

relocated's picture

ellisdj wrote:

Oh please, you just can't be serious?  Actually, I just realised who you are; so you really are serious.  You poor thing.    :wall:

Apple lossless - Netgear Nighthawk - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40.  

AVI ADM 9T used in my wife's system

spiny norman's picture

ellisdj wrote:

Upsampling in digital-to-analogue systems has its place, as doing so before running the data through a DAC working at a higher sampling rate will have the effect of moving any noise created in the D-to-A process even further out of the audible band, thus making it simpler to filter out.

However, don't see any point of taking a 16-bit/44.1kHz file and upsampling it to create an even larger file-size, when there'll be nothing in that file beyond the CD format's brick wall filter at around 22kHz. In fact, as many have shown in the past, that brick wall is a very simple way of recognising so-called 24/96 or whatever releases created by this upaampling process.

Not going to get into the old 'can you can't you' argument about hi-res (ie beyond CD) file formats, but can't help feeling the presence on the market of these fraudulent (or to be kind erroneous) releases created from CD masters has done significant damage to the cause of those attempting to promote higher-resolution audio formats.

wilro15's picture

CD is 16/44.1 and thats it.  You can't get more out of it, thats all there is in the tin.

Music: Naim ND5 XS | Naim SuperNait | Kef LS50