73 posts / 0 new
Last post
gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12997
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

The Panasonic VT65 looked very nice again in the shop!  You are very lucky mate.

Well, nothing's perfect.

There are a few niggles in terms of screen uniformity. As I think I mentioned before, there's a very mild cyan tint toward the left edge of the screen. (I'm not the only 2013 Panasonic plasma owner to spot this.) As I say, it's very mild, and doesn't seem to blight normal viewing. There are also two subtle vertical shadows that are occasionally visible during panning shots on light backgrounds. The shadows are located precisely where the VESA mount attachments are, so I'm guessing the two supports that carry the TV's weight are occasionally interfering with the panel's light output.

These issues don't compare with the problems I experienced with all GT50s I cycled through. Overall, the VT65 is an excellent TV and I can't think of an alternative I'd want to replace it with. I just wish Panasonic could manufacture TVs with perfect (rather than excellent) screen uniformity. 

 

It should really be perfect for you mate.  I don't know what to suggest.  The one in the shop looked great, as did the VT50 next to it.  It is a pity I can't see it.  I don't think I could live with it not being perfect, it would get on my nerves.  I have read about some people being unhappy too, if that did happen I would swap it.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12997
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

strapped for cash wrote:

Of course this thread isn't about my kit; so I'll get back on topic. Let us know how you get on with your audio output experiments.

It's also probably worth switching between output resolutions to see if the LX55 does a better job of upscaling than your GT50.

 

Will do.   Smile

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4507
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

gel wrote:

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

The Panasonic VT65 looked very nice again in the shop!  You are very lucky mate.

Well, nothing's perfect.

There are a few niggles in terms of screen uniformity. As I think I mentioned before, there's a very mild cyan tint toward the left edge of the screen. (I'm not the only 2013 Panasonic plasma owner to spot this.) As I say, it's very mild, and doesn't seem to blight normal viewing. There are also two subtle vertical shadows that are occasionally visible during panning shots on light backgrounds. The shadows are located precisely where the VESA mount attachments are, so I'm guessing the two supports that carry the TV's weight are occasionally interfering with the panel's light output.

These issues don't compare with the problems I experienced with all GT50s I cycled through. Overall, the VT65 is an excellent TV and I can't think of an alternative I'd want to replace it with. I just wish Panasonic could manufacture TVs with perfect (rather than excellent) screen uniformity. 

 

It should really be perfect for you mate.  I don't know what to suggest.  The one in the shop looked great, as did the VT50 next to it.  It is a pity I can't see it.  I don't think I could live with it not being perfect, it would get on my nerves.  I have read about some people being unhappy too, if that did happen I would swap it.

The VESA mount shadows are visible on every VT65 manufactured, so swapping will do no good. I don't think I'll get a perfectly uniform screen after swapping, either. I'm pickier than the average TV owner. I doubt many would notice these issues and, as I say, I can't think of an alternative model I'd want. All flatscreen TVs have flaws. You simply have to pick a set with issues that bother you least.

If things get worse I'll think about swapping. Any current issues are small enough that I'm willing to give the TV time to really settle in.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12997
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

Hi Strapped, if I was to buy a pair of 3D glasses for the GT50 what would you recommend?  Cheers.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

mattjax05's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/10/2007 - 13:59
Posts: 708
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

gel wrote:

Picked up a Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray player today from my local home cinema shop Technosound.  Just been spinning a few discs and everything is working great.  It reminds me of my Pioneer BDP-LX71 a lot.  The picture is very similar, much better than the Pioneer BDP-LX52.  Nice to see Pioneer producing good Blu-ray players again.  DVD looks really nice too.

 

The sound quality is marginally better on the Pioneer 71 but if you turn it up a couple more it sounds about the same.  I wanted an extra Blu-ray player and I paid £249 and got a two year warranty, so not bad.  The shop adviced me on how to set it up correct too.  

Nice one. You don't rate the LX52 then? I have this player and like it and I've just bought a cheap 3D spinner (Sony S490) and using them both. I may, in the near future, flog them both for a one box 2D/3D player - maybe an LX55. Is that a Pioner thoroughbred?

mattjax05's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/10/2007 - 13:59
Posts: 708
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

gel wrote:

Hi Strapped, if I was to buy a pair of 3D glasses for the GT50 what would you recommend?  Cheers.

I use some Samsung ones and although they sync up perfectly there is noticeable flicker from the far left and right side of the lenses during daylight viewing. Night time is perfect however. Would you like the model no.?

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12997
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

mattjax05 wrote:

gel wrote:

Picked up a Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray player today from my local home cinema shop Technosound.  Just been spinning a few discs and everything is working great.  It reminds me of my Pioneer BDP-LX71 a lot.  The picture is very similar, much better than the Pioneer BDP-LX52.  Nice to see Pioneer producing good Blu-ray players again.  DVD looks really nice too.

 

The sound quality is marginally better on the Pioneer 71 but if you turn it up a couple more it sounds about the same.  I wanted an extra Blu-ray player and I paid £249 and got a two year warranty, so not bad.  The shop adviced me on how to set it up correct too.  

Nice one. You don't rate the LX52 then? I have this player and like it and I've just bought a cheap 3D spinner (Sony S490) and using them both. I may, in the near future, flog them both for a one box 2D/3D player - maybe an LX55. Is that a Pioner thoroughbred?

 

Not really sorry no.  Yep, the Pioneer 55 is Pioneer through and through.  I rate it very highly, and would say a good upgrade over a 52.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12997
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

mattjax05 wrote:

gel wrote:

Hi Strapped, if I was to buy a pair of 3D glasses for the GT50 what would you recommend?  Cheers.

I use some Samsung ones and although they sync up perfectly there is noticeable flicker from the far left and right side of the lenses during daylight viewing. Night time is perfect however. Would you like the model no.?

 

Yep, please.  Cheers.  I am not sure which ones to purchase.  Probably look around for the best price.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

mattjax05's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/10/2007 - 13:59
Posts: 708
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

gel wrote:

mattjax05 wrote:

gel wrote:

Hi Strapped, if I was to buy a pair of 3D glasses for the GT50 what would you recommend?  Cheers.

I use some Samsung ones and although they sync up perfectly there is noticeable flicker from the far left and right side of the lenses during daylight viewing. Night time is perfect however. Would you like the model no.?

 

Yep, please.  Cheers.  I am not sure which ones to purchase.  Probably look around for the best price.

SSG-5100GB. Much cheaper than the Panasonic ones and they work flawlessly at night. The Panasonic glasses may even suffer from the daylight flicker too, I don't know I haven't compared. 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12997
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

mattjax05 wrote:

gel wrote:

mattjax05 wrote:

gel wrote:

Hi Strapped, if I was to buy a pair of 3D glasses for the GT50 what would you recommend?  Cheers.

I use some Samsung ones and although they sync up perfectly there is noticeable flicker from the far left and right side of the lenses during daylight viewing. Night time is perfect however. Would you like the model no.?

 

Yep, please.  Cheers.  I am not sure which ones to purchase.  Probably look around for the best price.

SSG-5100GB. Much cheaper than the Panasonic ones and they work flawlessly at night. The Panasonic glasses may even suffer from the daylight flicker too, I don't know I haven't compared. 

 

Ah cheers.  Thanks.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12997
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

I think the operation might be a little bit noisy, but nothing distracting.  I will keep an eye on that.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4507
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

gel wrote:

Hi Strapped, if I was to buy a pair of 3D glasses for the GT50 what would you recommend?  Cheers.

These Gel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-3D3-A1112-Universal-3D-TV-Eyewear-Active-Shutter-RF-Glasses-/110951413734?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_3D_TV_Glasses_Accessories&hash=item19d53837e6

They're very well constructed, rechargeable, have less of a tint than the Panasonic glasses, and block more ambient light from the sides (so less flicker). I used them with the GT50 and preferred them to the Panasonic glasses. They're slightly less expensive than the Panasonic glasses, too.

I can't comment on cheaper alternatives, but I decided to avoid. The 3D3s are widely owned and most that buy them like then very much.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12997
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

Hi Strapped, if I was to buy a pair of 3D glasses for the GT50 what would you recommend?  Cheers.

These Gel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-3D3-A1112-Universal-3D-TV-Eyewear-Active-Shutter-RF-Glasses-/110951413734?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_3D_TV_Glasses_Accessories&hash=item19d53837e6

They're very well constructed, rechargeable, have less of a tint than the Panasonic glasses, and block more ambient light from the sides (so less flicker). I used them with the GT50 and preferred them to the Panasonic glasses. They're slightly less expensive than the Panasonic glasses, too.

I can't comment on cheaper alternatives, but I decided to avoid. The 3D3s are widely owned and most that buy them like then very much.

 

Superb - cheers.   Smile

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12997
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

gel wrote:

I think the operation might be a little bit noisy, but nothing distracting.  I will keep an eye on that.

 

Nope, it was the Sky HD box making the noise.  All quiet!   Laughing

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4507
RE: My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

gel wrote:

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

Hi Strapped, if I was to buy a pair of 3D glasses for the GT50 what would you recommend?  Cheers.

These Gel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-3D3-A1112-Universal-3D-TV-Eyewear-Active-Shutter-RF-Glasses-/110951413734?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_3D_TV_Glasses_Accessories&hash=item19d53837e6

They're very well constructed, rechargeable, have less of a tint than the Panasonic glasses, and block more ambient light from the sides (so less flicker). I used them with the GT50 and preferred them to the Panasonic glasses. They're slightly less expensive than the Panasonic glasses, too.

I can't comment on cheaper alternatives, but I decided to avoid. The 3D3s are widely owned and most that buy them like then very much.

 

Superb - cheers.   Smile

Let me know if you decide to buy a pair. I'll be interested to hear what you think. Smile

Pages

Log in or register to post comments