3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wavod's picture
Onkyo TX-NR5008 running Kef Reference Model Twos (2's) - 1990's
English

Anyone with any views as to whether the Kef Reference Model Twos will be a good match for my Onkyo TX-NR5008?

I realise these Reference Models are well known for being difficult to drive, and am assuming the Onkyo should drive the bass just fine?

Also,as these are 4ohm and my centre and surrounds are 8ohm (iQ6c, iQ8ds) I again assume that the amp should be set to 4ohm usage??

Any other advice/info much appreciated.

David@FrankHarvey's picture
RE: Onkyo TX-NR5008 running Kef Reference Model Twos (2's)

It's the bass that's the issue with 4ohm loads (although they might drop a little lower).

I would stay away from reference level, but it should be ok. Although receivers like the 5009 are far more stable with 4ohm loads than budget ones, the Reference range is quite demanding of the amplification, so I wouldn't push the Onkyo too far with them. The Model Two's will sound ok, but not as good as they were intended to be. Adding a power amp will achieve this. Although, it might be a good idea to bi-amp the Model Two's if you have the extra amplification spare.

And yes, set the impedance to 4ohms on the Onkyo. Usually I wouldn't recommend this as it caps the current output for safety reasons, but in this case, I'd play safe and use it. If it's only for low to average levels, leaving it on 8 or 6ohms will be fine.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

Wavod's picture
RE: R.E Onkyo TX-NR5008 running Kef Reference Model Twos (2's) .

Hi David,

Thanks for your super-speedy reply!!

At the moment I am using iQ9's Bi-Amped, so I shall automatically Bi-Amp the Model 2's . I am hoping for a big difference in my  2-channel 'Pure-Audio' listening.

As for running the Onkyo anywhere near reference levels......I live next door to a young couple with child who have already expressed a dislike of above average levels :shame:. I'm afraid until I win the lottery and build my own 'boys room' both Amp and Speakers should be safe from harm Smile At least the new-found clarity will keep me going......'til the R-Series are a few years (and models) down the line.

At least the Model 2's won't need to be run in,eh?