So, you thought HD DVD was dead, did you? Well, not quite, it seems. Shuttle, maker of mini PCs, has unveiled its compact new Shuttle XPC G5 6801M Media Centre PC that can play HD DVD and Blu-ray discs.
Presumably the engineers signed off on the design before Toshiba decided to drop the HD DVD format. Still, it could be handy for those who already have a collection of HD DVD discs.
"The LG GGC-H20L Combo drive is suitable for both HD formats," says Tom Seiffert, head of marketing at Shuttle Computer in Germany. "Combined with AMD's Athlon 64 x2 6000+ processor, and 2GB of memory, the XPC G5 delivers fluid playback performance with Blu-ray and HD DVD discs."
More after the break
The Shuttle Media Centre can be connected to your high-def flatscreen TV via HDMI, and includes both analogue and digital TV tuners.
A 500GB hard disk enables users to record TV, digital photos and music, making it the central hub of a home entertainment system.
The XPC G5 6801 runs Windows Media Center, can handle PC games and has eight-channel audio.
Other technical highlights include:
- Mini-PC Complete System is based on: Shuttle XPC Barebone SN68SG2 with the PF27 front panel from the "Shuttle XPC Accessories" program.
- Processor: AMD Athlon X2 6000+
- Memory: 2x 1GB DDR2-800
- Hard disk: 500GB, Serial-ATAII
- Graphics Card: ATI HD3450, 256 MB
- Wireless Communication: Wireless LAN
- Optical Drive: LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray/HD DVD Combo
- TV Tuner: DVB-T/Analog Hybrid
- Other Drives: 25-in-1 Card-Reader
- Other configurations: Remote control and multi-functional front display
- Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
- Dimensions: 310(D) x 200(W) x 185(H) mm