393 posts / 0 new
Last post
mr malarky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 4 weeks ago
Joined: 04/04/2009 - 13:14
Posts: 908
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Oldboy wrote:

 

Many thanks to gel for the tip about John lewis and their price match, it's been very helpful indeed but it is strange that you still have to pay the full price and then get the difference refunded if i'm reading that correctly?

That's how I'm reading it too. Does seem an odd way of going about it; am sure they have trheir reasons but would love to know what they are.

Maybe they feel it commits the customer to buying the set from them, and stops them being used as simply a 'price-point' by people looking to negotiate discounts with other retailers?

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12970
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Oldboy wrote:

Good news from John Lewis today so many thanks to gel as I got this response today about my price match enquiry:

 

Dear Mr ****,

 

Thank you for your price match enquiry.

I have looked into your request and will be happy to match the price of £1856 for the Samsung UE55F8000 television seen at Total Digital. I was unable to locate this item at £1831.

To place this order with us please call on 08456 049 049 and quote reference number ******. Alternatively, you can place your order online. To obtain your refund, simply respond to this email with a note of your order number once delivery has taken place and we will issue you with your refund. A maximum of 10 products at the matched price can be ordered using the price match reference number, but these have to be within the same order.

Please note that the price match above is only valid for orders placed with John Lewis.com and cannot be used in store. You should place your order within 28 days from today. If you are unable to place your order within 28 days, please submit a new request via our website.

This reference number is only valid for yourself and cannot be shared with friends or family. Please note the price difference will be refunded onto the card used to make the purchase after the order has been delivered.

If you wish to view more information about Never Knowingly Undersold or our pricing policy, you can do so on our website.

http://www.johnlewis.com/inspiration-and-advice/never-knowingly-undersold-policy?intcmp=HP_deliveryblock_nku

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

 

Yours sincerely,


Peter Branney
John Lewis.com

 

Now that is a tempting deal indeed as at that price with a 5 year warranty and buying from John lewis i'm seriously tempted if I can sell my 46HX853 quickly, I have a friend lined up as a keen buyer but i'm not jumping in without a good demo first and at least i've got 28 days to think it over.

Many thanks to gel for the tip about John lewis and their price match, it's been very helpful indeed but it is strange that you still have to pay the full price and then get the difference refunded if i'm reading that correctly?

 

No probs mate.   Smile  You can do it that way round or I know in the shop you can wait for the price match and they will reserve you a TV while it is going through.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12970
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

So basically when you buy it at the shop, it is up to you which way you do it.  Not sure with online.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 13/09/2007 - 15:49
Posts: 2557
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

gel wrote:

So basically when you buy it at the shop, it is up to you which way you do it.  Not sure with online.

Thanks gel yet again for the advice, you are a star :cheers:

So it looks like I'm better off going in store to get a deal then and then I don't have to pay the full retail price is that correct? I just noticed on the John Lewis website that they have an "at home" store near to me which I beleive stock tvs and electrical goods which will make life alot easier for me as that's not too far from me but I will need to take a trip to the store to see how well stocked it is and to see if it carries the tvs I am looking at buying.

Oh one last thing what do you mean by waiting for it to go through? Does that mean they reserve a tv and then if it's approved you can go in at a later date to collect it...is that how it works? Sorry for the questions but having never even been into a John Lewis store let alone buy a tv from them I have no idea of how they do things there so your help is invaluable...as always! Smile

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12970
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Oldboy wrote:

gel wrote:

So basically when you buy it at the shop, it is up to you which way you do it.  Not sure with online.

Thanks gel yet again for the advice, you are a star :cheers:

So it looks like I'm better off going in store to get a deal then and then I don't have to pay the full retail price is that correct? I just noticed on the John Lewis website that they have an "at home" store near to me which I beleive stock tvs and electrical goods which will make life alot easier for me as that's not too far from me but I will need to take a trip to the store to see how well stocked it is and to see if it carries the tvs I am looking at buying.

Oh one last thing what do you mean by waiting for it to go through? Does that mean they reserve a tv and then if it's approved you can go in at a later date to collect it...is that how it works? Sorry for the questions but having never even been into a John Lewis store let alone buy a tv from them I have no idea of how they do things there so your help is invaluable...as always! Smile

 

I am not sure how it works online, but Instore you can get them to reserve you the TV while they take a day or so to do the price match, they then phone you up to confirm they will and then you pay.  You can even phone them up and do it on the phone.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12970
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

They deliver the TV to you for free and collect it for free if there is a problem.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 13/09/2007 - 15:49
Posts: 2557
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

gel wrote:

Oldboy wrote:

gel wrote:

So basically when you buy it at the shop, it is up to you which way you do it.  Not sure with online.

Thanks gel yet again for the advice, you are a star :cheers:

So it looks like I'm better off going in store to get a deal then and then I don't have to pay the full retail price is that correct? I just noticed on the John Lewis website that they have an "at home" store near to me which I beleive stock tvs and electrical goods which will make life alot easier for me as that's not too far from me but I will need to take a trip to the store to see how well stocked it is and to see if it carries the tvs I am looking at buying.

Oh one last thing what do you mean by waiting for it to go through? Does that mean they reserve a tv and then if it's approved you can go in at a later date to collect it...is that how it works? Sorry for the questions but having never even been into a John Lewis store let alone buy a tv from them I have no idea of how they do things there so your help is invaluable...as always! Smile

 

I am not sure how it works online, but Instore you can get them to reserve you the TV while they take a day or so to do the price match, they then phone you up to confirm they will and then you pay.  You can even phone them up and do it on the phone.

 

That's great thanks gel.

 

Now I know there is a store not too far away from me I won't bother buying online now and will do it in store as it saves waiting and is a lot less hassle.

Will take a trip up there at the weekend to see what they have in stock and to see if I can look at some of the TVs on my list.

Thanks again gel really appreciate your help.

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12970
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Oldboy wrote:

gel wrote:

Oldboy wrote:

gel wrote:

So basically when you buy it at the shop, it is up to you which way you do it.  Not sure with online.

Thanks gel yet again for the advice, you are a star :cheers:

So it looks like I'm better off going in store to get a deal then and then I don't have to pay the full retail price is that correct? I just noticed on the John Lewis website that they have an "at home" store near to me which I beleive stock tvs and electrical goods which will make life alot easier for me as that's not too far from me but I will need to take a trip to the store to see how well stocked it is and to see if it carries the tvs I am looking at buying.

Oh one last thing what do you mean by waiting for it to go through? Does that mean they reserve a tv and then if it's approved you can go in at a later date to collect it...is that how it works? Sorry for the questions but having never even been into a John Lewis store let alone buy a tv from them I have no idea of how they do things there so your help is invaluable...as always! Smile

 

I am not sure how it works online, but Instore you can get them to reserve you the TV while they take a day or so to do the price match, they then phone you up to confirm they will and then you pay.  You can even phone them up and do it on the phone.

 

That's great thanks gel.

 

Now I know there is a store not too far away from me I won't bother buying online now and will do it in store as it saves waiting and is a lot less hassle.

Will take a trip up there at the weekend to see what they have in stock and to see if I can look at some of the TVs on my list.

Thanks again gel really appreciate your help.

 

No probs.   Smile

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12912
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

You can call John Lewis on the number provided in the email Oldboy, to place the order.

Just to disturb the apple cart a bit, check this out. 55-inch costs £2800, which isn't bad at all.

You know you want it!!  Blum 3

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12912
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.
Oldboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 13/09/2007 - 15:49
Posts: 2557
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

bigboss wrote:

You can call John Lewis on the number provided in the email Oldboy, to place the order.

Just to disturb the apple cart a bit, check this out. 55-inch costs £2800, which isn't bad at all.

You know you want it!!  Blum 3

Nice try bigboss :grin:

I did look at that tv when it was announced but I've got no room for it due to the tv being designed to be placed on the rather fetching stand that takes up the bottom half of the tv, from what I remember the tv is not able to be wall mounted which is what I need and even if it could be it would be missing the point really as it looks so good on that stand.

Another issue is that it leans backwards which I just don't like, it's obvious this is a tv for those stylish homes you see in magazine spreads and not for me, I've got far too many black boxes that would need to placed in front or very near to it that it would ruin the aesthetics completely. It's a fabulous looking tv though and if my home suited it I definately would consider it...there is no denying there is more than a nod to B&O design going on here which makes it very pleasing on the eye.

It's also a bit over budget for me too so a no go but I am wondering if WHF are going to get one for review as I would be interested to hear how it fares Smile

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12912
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Oldboy wrote:

I did look at that tv when it was announced but I've got no room for it due to the tv being designed to be placed on the rather fetching stand that takes up the bottom half of the tv, from what I remember the tv is not able to be wall mounted which is what I need and even if it could be it would be missing the point really as it looks so good on that stand.

Check the Selfridges link. It can be wall mounted.

Quote:

Another issue is that it leans backwards which I just don't like

Again, check Selfridges link. It can be mounted straight without any lean.  Smile

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 13/09/2007 - 15:49
Posts: 2557
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Still not for me that one despite being able to wall mount it....specs look suspiciously similar to the 8008 though :?

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Son_of_SJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/09/2009 - 16:24
Posts: 1117
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Oldboy, I'm sorry about this; I suspect that I may be about to confuse rather than clarify. I was in John Lewis yesterday afternoon (before some joker asks, I don't spend all my time in John Lewis!) and I happened to see three 47" LG televisions, which were quite close to each other. They were the 47LA620V at £749, the 47LA960V at £999, and the 47LA790W at £1,399. I thought, remembering that I'm mainly a plasma man, that they all looked pretty decent showing the tennis from Wimbledon, in fact I was struggling to see why the two top models were more expensive than the cheapest model. They are all available in your preferred 55" size. It was hard to say how they compared to the sets on your shortlist, since they were not all positioned close to each other in John Lewis's oh-so-flattering fluorescent lights, but I thought that the LGs certainly held their own against the Sonys and the Samsungs.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12912
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

I think Oldboy wants active 3D as he does not want to lose out on resolution. All LG TVs are passive 3D sets, as far as I'm aware (although personally I prefer passive 3D to active 3D for infinitely better comfort).

Pages

Log in or register to post comments