Have your say & ask the experts!

My faulty 'within spec' Panasonic 50GT50

245 replies [Last post]
rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Dec 2009
Posts: 713

As a few of you will know I've not had much luck with my share of panasonic 50GT50's.  After a long period of time trying to get my issues resolved by way of repairs, replacements and a full refund I have finally given up all effort in trying to rectify the matter and will put the issue down to experience.

My first GT50 suffered from image retention and excessive line bleed, after two repair efforts the panel was finally replaced, but with a new feature! My new feature was seven vertical lines on the right hand side of screen, all for my viewing pleasure  party time! after being told by my local approved panasonic repairer that these were 'within specification of the tv' I contacted my retailer and panasonic. After a long period panasonic finally agreed to replace it in good will, nothing to do with the fact I had seven lines then  banging head against wall

my new tv arrived  cheer

i turned it on one night to watch some football, oh dear lord what on earth are all those lines and those two inch thick colour distortion bars  banging head against wall

i contact the retailer (within 8 days) to advise my issue and agree to wait for a month or two to let it run in and see if the issue goes on its own, mistake number 1

i phone back and advise that problem has not gone away and that there are two inch thick white lines down the centre of my panel, they advise will need to book for warranty call, I advise not happy, I wll wait and see if I can live with it after the issues of my last repair, mistake number 2

i wait and then book for repair, local approved repairer passes info to panasonic, panasonic advise again 'lines within spec of the tv'  Angry oh there is a pattern here, anything wrong with the picture is within spec, right..........

Local repairer wants to charge me for return of tv, do what.   listen to this

phone panasonic  listen to this , they do a 'panel update' and tv returned 'free'

issue still remains, contact retailer and ask for full refund due to previous issues and aggro caused by the tv, no reply

raise issue with credit card firm under section 75 consumer credit act

retailer replies and collects tv

retailer has tv for three weeks to carry out testing. Guess what lines are 'within spec' or are screen burn, no they aren't  banging head against wall

credit card firm say its down to me to prove now

contacted local engineer, great guy offered help and advice, said that he thought it will be a struggle as the within specification stance could cover a lot even if he deemed it faulty

contact legal helpline for advise, all next avenues are at a cost to me with no guarantee of getting a result. I need to prove the tv is faulty but it could still be deemed within spec.

outcome is I have a tv I can't watch football on as the picture drives me crazy, no matter what the settings or the lighting in the room are. Sometimes it affects normal programs as well.  retailer refuses refund or exchange, panasonic refuse repair under warranty (not worth the paper it's written on). I'm not even sure I want a repair or exchange as what's to say its going to be better or worse than what I have and I have to fight all over again. 

 

Lessons learnt........

1. Don't buy panasonic ever again, shocking that they deem a clear fault 'within specification'

2. Buy from a trusted retailer. I'll never shop for big items at a small independant store again, no wonder so many are going broke with great customer service like I received

3. Never leave a fault going, report straight away

4. Never try and be kind and offer to see how it goes, insist it be looked at there and then

5. Don't really on a manufactures warranty, it's not worth anything unless a component physically fails

 

rant over, I'm through with this, and as I have said will never ever buy a panasonic product again, I feel there customer service and quality control stinks and they have given me the impression that they couldn't care less about you once they have your money and you have their goods,that's how I feel anyway Crying

 This is obviously my opinion I'm sure many of you have had no problem with then or problems with other manufactures. Fact is panasonic went from being top of my list to not even being on the list.

rocket

__________________

Lounge: Panasonic (faulty but 'within specification') 50GT50, Mico DVD-A980 (multi region), Yamaha RX-V596RDS, Mission M74, M7C and M7DS speakers, Sony CDPXE570, Nintendo WIi, Sony PS3, Humax FOXSAT-HDR,

Conservatory: Panasonic 42G20 and DMP-BD45EBK

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5956
I'm sorry to hear you are

I'm sorry to hear you are still having problems.

Who was the retailer?

Your next step is to inform them you will bring a small claim against them - and then do so if they fail to give you a refund.

__________________

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Dec 2009
Posts: 713
RE: I'm sorry to hear you are

BenLaw wrote:
I'm sorry to hear you are still having problems. Who was the retailer? Your next step is to inform them you will bring a small claim against them - and then do so if they fail to give you a refund.

thanks.

im inclined not to mention the retailer in case I decide to do something about it all at a later date. You never know who reads these but doesn't contribute

already advised this, they advised they will defend which is expected. The issue I have is the cost in doing so and the fact I know of someone who took a retailer (not sure who) to small claims, they won, but it took two years, and they didn't even get half the money back from the original cost of the tv. Unfortunately as I have had one of the tvs on/off for a year this is also what my legal advise said, that I could spend a lot of money trying to sort it out and then get less than half the cost of the tv back. I Think based on this and the hassle I have already been through and would also have to go through I'm inclined to save instead for a new tv and buy from somewhere like John Lewis with better piece of mind.

__________________

Lounge: Panasonic (faulty but 'within specification') 50GT50, Mico DVD-A980 (multi region), Yamaha RX-V596RDS, Mission M74, M7C and M7DS speakers, Sony CDPXE570, Nintendo WIi, Sony PS3, Humax FOXSAT-HDR,

Conservatory: Panasonic 42G20 and DMP-BD45EBK

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11895
Thanks for this. Take home

Thanks for this. Take home messages for me:

1) Buy from John Lewis only.

2) Avoid Panasonic unless manufacturer warranty is replaced by John Lewis guarantee.

Have you tried writing to Panasonic's CEO?

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5956
RE: I'm sorry to hear you are

rocketrazor wrote:

BenLaw wrote:
I'm sorry to hear you are still having problems. Who was the retailer? Your next step is to inform them you will bring a small claim against them - and then do so if they fail to give you a refund.

thanks.

im inclined not to mention the retailer in case I decide to do something about it all at a later date. You never know who reads these but doesn't contribute

already advised this, they advised they will defend which is expected. The issue I have is the cost in doing so and the fact I know of someone who took a retailer (not sure who) to small claims, they won, but it took two years, and they didn't even get half the money back from the original cost of the tv. Unfortunately as I have had one of the tvs on/off for a year this is also what my legal advise said, that I could spend a lot of money trying to sort it out and then get less than half the cost of the tv back. I Think based on this and the hassle I have already been through and would also have to go through I'm inclined to save instead for a new tv and buy from somewhere like John Lewis with better piece of mind.

 

If everything you've said is true then I can see no reason not to name them. It would have the advantage of warding others off. Negative publicity on these forums has also been known to get a retailer to do the right thing. 

 

I'm also not sure I agree about the small claim but it's up to you. The whole point is the costs and therefore the potential risks are very limited. If you have pictures of thick white lines running down the TV then I don't really see how you could lose, however much someone may claim it's 'within spec'. Actually I'd be surprised if they defended it as they'd have to serve on you the specification that they claim it's within, which you could then publish if you wished. 

__________________

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

nick12's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Posts: 47
RE: I would suggest emailing the

I would suggest emailing the MD's office. This is my tactic with VirginMedia and with my bank, and problems are normally resolved to my satisfaction within 24 hours. Obviously be extremely polite and say that you've been forced to write out of sheer frustration, etc etc. Don't expect a personal response - it will go to a team in his office, but you should get things sorted quickly. Hope that helps.

__________________

rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Dec 2009
Posts: 713
RE: Thanks for this. Take home

bigboss wrote:
Thanks for this. Take home messages for me: 1) Buy from John Lewis only. 2) Avoid Panasonic unless manufacturer warranty is replaced by John Lewis guarantee. Have you tried writing to Panasonic's CEO?

yep, unfortunately I found out the hard way.....

email the CEO, do you think he would even read my email?

__________________

Lounge: Panasonic (faulty but 'within specification') 50GT50, Mico DVD-A980 (multi region), Yamaha RX-V596RDS, Mission M74, M7C and M7DS speakers, Sony CDPXE570, Nintendo WIi, Sony PS3, Humax FOXSAT-HDR,

Conservatory: Panasonic 42G20 and DMP-BD45EBK

rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Dec 2009
Posts: 713
RE: I'm sorry to hear you are

BenLaw wrote:

rocketrazor wrote:

BenLaw wrote:
I'm sorry to hear you are still having problems. Who was the retailer? Your next step is to inform them you will bring a small claim against them - and then do so if they fail to give you a refund.

thanks.

im inclined not to mention the retailer in case I decide to do something about it all at a later date. You never know who reads these but doesn't contribute

already advised this, they advised they will defend which is expected. The issue I have is the cost in doing so and the fact I know of someone who took a retailer (not sure who) to small claims, they won, but it took two years, and they didn't even get half the money back from the original cost of the tv. Unfortunately as I have had one of the tvs on/off for a year this is also what my legal advise said, that I could spend a lot of money trying to sort it out and then get less than half the cost of the tv back. I Think based on this and the hassle I have already been through and would also have to go through I'm inclined to save instead for a new tv and buy from somewhere like John Lewis with better piece of mind.

 

If everything you've said is true then I can see no reason not to name them. It would have the advantage of warding others off. Negative publicity on these forums has also been known to get a retailer to do the right thing. 

 

I'm also not sure I agree about the small claim but it's up to you. The whole point is the costs and therefore the potential risks are very limited. If you have pictures of thick white lines running down the TV then I don't really see how you could lose, however much someone may claim it's 'within spec'. Actually I'd be surprised if they defended it as they'd have to serve on you the specification that they claim it's within, which you could then publish if you wished. 

thanks, but part of my problem is the issue is only visable when watching the football and faintly on a pitch black screen, it's not enough to get a picture or video of, and the panning shots don't show the fault when being recorded. This is also part of my reasoning not to go down small claims. Other than taking the tv there I cant document the fault

__________________

Lounge: Panasonic (faulty but 'within specification') 50GT50, Mico DVD-A980 (multi region), Yamaha RX-V596RDS, Mission M74, M7C and M7DS speakers, Sony CDPXE570, Nintendo WIi, Sony PS3, Humax FOXSAT-HDR,

Conservatory: Panasonic 42G20 and DMP-BD45EBK

rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Dec 2009
Posts: 713
RE: I would suggest emailing the

nick12 wrote:
I would suggest emailing the MD's office. This is my tactic with VirginMedia and with my bank, and problems are normally resolved to my satisfaction within 24 hours. Obviously be extremely polite and say that you've been forced to write out of sheer frustration, etc etc. Don't expect a personal response - it will go to a team in his office, but you should get things sorted quickly. Hope that helps.

thanks, I might try this route. I'll let myself calm down before sending him anything. Cheers

__________________

Lounge: Panasonic (faulty but 'within specification') 50GT50, Mico DVD-A980 (multi region), Yamaha RX-V596RDS, Mission M74, M7C and M7DS speakers, Sony CDPXE570, Nintendo WIi, Sony PS3, Humax FOXSAT-HDR,

Conservatory: Panasonic 42G20 and DMP-BD45EBK

nick12's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Posts: 47
RE: I would suggest

rocketrazor wrote:

nick12 wrote:
I would suggest emailing the MD's office. This is my tactic with VirginMedia and with my bank, and problems are normally resolved to my satisfaction within 24 hours. Obviously be extremely polite and say that you've been forced to write out of sheer frustration, etc etc.  Don't expect a personal response - it will go to a team in his office, but you should get things sorted quickly. Hope that helps.

thanks, I might try this route. I'll let myself calm down before sending him anything. Cheers

 

Yup, definitely the way to write is as a customer very loyal to the brand, very excited about the spec of the TV, very frustrated with the faults being described as "within spec", very frustrated about being caught between Panasonic and the retailer... Saddened that it's got to a point where you're considering taking the retailer to the Small Claims Court over the kind of issue that, in the past,you would have trusted Panasonic to resolve.

 

Does he read emails personally? Unlikely - but most CEOs have a dedicated team who deal with the kind of issues that come straight to the top. As I said, this approach has ALWAYS worked for me. So if you're very polite and are only expressing frustration, rather than anger or threats (!), hopefully it will work for you too.

__________________

gel
gel's picture
Online
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 11581
RE: Thanks for this. Take home

rocketrazor wrote:

bigboss wrote:
Thanks for this. Take home messages for me: 1) Buy from John Lewis only. 2) Avoid Panasonic unless manufacturer warranty is replaced by John Lewis guarantee. Have you tried writing to Panasonic's CEO?

yep, unfortunately I found out the hard way.....

email the CEO, do you think he would even read my email?

 

Yep, I found buying a TV a very difficult process before I just decided to buy at John Lewis.  Sorry to hear it is not working out.  Don't know what to suggest.  Probably name the shop on here unless they are doing you any favours we don't know about (I was in that situation once and didn't want to name the shop).  

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Dec 2009
Posts: 713
RE: Thanks for this. Take home

I'm in two minds at present.....

1. Email md and see if he replies, maybe even a swap under the warranty. Issue is what if my new set also has issues like this replacement. I then have lost all my warranty and might get a worse set. I then have to start fighting again. I might get a better one but it's a risk.

2. Stick with what I have knowing I have a full 5 year warranty in case anything else goes wrong? Issue is only really apparent when watching football.

the grass isn't always greener on the other side

banging head against wall

__________________

Lounge: Panasonic (faulty but 'within specification') 50GT50, Mico DVD-A980 (multi region), Yamaha RX-V596RDS, Mission M74, M7C and M7DS speakers, Sony CDPXE570, Nintendo WIi, Sony PS3, Humax FOXSAT-HDR,

Conservatory: Panasonic 42G20 and DMP-BD45EBK

Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Posts: 4750
I've had my GT50 for 9-10

I've had my GT50 for 9-10 months. The dse has been there from the start, and has probably got a little worse, and another fault has developed where the centre third of the screen has a slight reddy brown tint to it when viewing white backgrounds.

I'm going to call John Lewis very soon to see if the problems can be rectified, and if they can't, demand a refund or exchange.

Enough about me. My wife is Japanese, and I have brought your problem to her attention, and she finds it very hard to understand how a Japanese company can give such poor customer service. It's definitely worth trying the CEO route, it worked for me with Virgin Mobile, and if that doesn't work, go to the top in Japan. The Japanese pride themselves on their customer service, and I'm pretty sure that the top people in Japan would be alarmed to know what is happening with Panasonic in Europe.

__________________

LOUNGE:  Panasonic TX-P50GT50 (is poorly) / Panasonic DMP-BDT120 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Dali Zensor 3 (front) / Dali Zensor Vokal (centre) / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition (rear) / Q Acoustics1000Si (sub) / Roksan Radius 5.2 / Ortofon Super OM20 Cartridge / Sky HD / WD My Book Live 2TB / Seagate Expansion 2TB / Nintendo Wii / Tacima CS-929 

BEDROOM:  Samsung LE32C450 / Sony BDP-S360 / Echostar HDS-600RS / Netgear WNCE2001

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 2524
RE: Thanks for this. Take home

Rocket,

As you already know my friend I can completely sympathise with your situation after being there myself a few times.

What I would say is that emailing the CEO of Panasonic Europe is certainly worth a go, at this point you don't have anything to lose and it's well worth compiling a polite letter and see what response you get, like others on here I too have used this tactic to good effect with Richer Sounds when I had my GT30 issues and it brought about a turn in fortunes in a matter of days so give it a go. As long as it's directed to the right person it's a great tactic, yes the actual person may not view it but his secretary will and it will be brought to his attention.

Unfortunately I'm not at all surprised to hear of your plight with Panasonic and it has to be said that ever since I had so many issues with my GT30 (I went through 4 in the end) a pattern has formed with other peoples experiences being very similar...high failure rates, having had multiple replacement sets and then facing a struggle to get a satisfactory resolution. It seems that this years sets have faired much better in this regard so far so maybe quality control is much better at Panasonic now but from a purley personal point of view I too wouldn't buy another Panasonic plasma TV and can fully understand your reluctance to do so and anger at the companies failure to deal with your issue. I've been through it myself.

Another thing I would add is that the small claims court will only cost you £50-60, yes it's a risk and you don't know if you will win but who were you advised to take action against...the retailer or Panasonic? I would be inclined to take action against Panasonic as your contract is only with the retailer for the first year of ownership.

The one thing I wouldn't do though is give up just yet as you have two more avenues to explore yet and the cost of replacing the TV and taking the lesson on the chin is significant and not something you should be expected to do with an obviously faulty TV. It's a harsh lesson to learn but it's just as important to research the retailer before you buy a TV these days too and I simply wouldn't buy anywhere else other than John Lewis anymore even if it meant paying a little more to do so, but as they offer a price match service that would be unlikely.

I know it's a complete pain and it's easy to get demotivated when trying to deal with TV issues but I'm of the opinion it's far from over and that neither the retailer or Panasonic should get away with selling shoddy products that don't perform as they should, take it to the very top of Panasonic if you have to and contacting Panasonic Japan is a good bit of advice if you get no joy from Panasonic Europe, infact I would draft a letter and send it to both for a kick off.

As ever keep us posted and I truly hope you get a good result very soon, I expect at this point a full refund is what you want and to see the back of Panasonic and that's what I would be aiming for. Best of luck mate.

__________________

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Samsung UE40F7000, Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Home Theatre System, X-Box 360.

Mobile Devices:

Google Nexus 5 Phone, Google Nexus 7 Tablet, Sony PS Vita.

rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Dec 2009
Posts: 713
RE: Thanks for this. Take home

Cheers guys,

my main concerns are

1. Legally I'm not entitled to a full refund now, I've had a 50gt50 in different forms for 14 months. Anyone I make a claim against can make a reduction at the own will to cover the use of the tv in that 14 months.

2. Small claims will take a while meaning I could put in all the effort and get half the cost back (I paid £1200) and then no tv

3. I contact CEO or md and they replace unit, I could get a unit fault free, I could get one with a different problem, or I could get one that breaks in 16 months time. By replacing the tv I have no warranty to chase repair, and if the unit they give me is also faulty I can't exactly email them again and say I have another faulty unit.

At the moment I have a unit that I can watch everything but the football without issues (I think, touch wood). I would love a unit that is fault free but I can't guarantee that I'll get one which is why I went for a full refund via the retailer. At present I'm off the mind that I can only hope others don't experience the same issue I have.  Guess I have to hope it develops a fault that is covered by the warranty!

__________________

Lounge: Panasonic (faulty but 'within specification') 50GT50, Mico DVD-A980 (multi region), Yamaha RX-V596RDS, Mission M74, M7C and M7DS speakers, Sony CDPXE570, Nintendo WIi, Sony PS3, Humax FOXSAT-HDR,

Conservatory: Panasonic 42G20 and DMP-BD45EBK

Ian986's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Jan 2010
Posts: 163
RE: Thanks for this. Take home

I am alarmed reading this as I have just purchased the same set 50/gt60 plasma based on all the good reviews it got ! On the plus side I will never watch football on the tv unless England do make it to World Cup final while tv is still working! I purchased mine from richer sounds and have always found them helpful so if I do get a problem will be taking it straight back there 

 

I would agree with other people on here about writing to md of pannasonic and if not the small claims court it is not as scarey as you think is more like a mediation more than anything 

__________________

Samsung 40 6600 LED TV Onkyo TXNR 809 MA Apex Oppo 103