34 posts / 0 new
Last post
BenLaw's picture
RE: can a painted wall really be as effective

The_Lhc wrote:

BenLaw wrote:
Grandson or nephew?

Step-grandson to be entirely accurate, which is useful as it means if he grows up to be a gobshite I can disown him guilt free!

I'm sure you'll knock him into shape before he requires disowning!

I am the danger. 

The_Lhc's picture

BenLaw wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

BenLaw wrote:
Grandson or nephew?

Step-grandson to be entirely accurate, which is useful as it means if he grows up to be a gobshite I can disown him guilt free!

Wouldn't dream of it! Parental responsibility and all that, not my place to comment. Of course if he touches the hi-fi... (that's a joke btw, he's already smeared yoghurt all over the Kuro's screen and lived! Surprising how effective those cloths Pioneer supply are really...)

BenLaw's picture

Really, I would have thought it was advisable to use some sort of industrial cleaner on that sort of thing. 

I am the danger. 

The_Lhc's picture

BenLaw wrote:

Really, I would have thought it was advisable to use some sort of industrial cleaner on that sort of thing. 

The bottles don't advise against it to be fair...

strapped for cash's picture

The_Lhc wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Wouldn't dream of it! Parental responsibility and all that, not my place to comment. Of course if he touches the hi-fi... (that's a joke btw, he's already smeared yoghurt all over the Kuro's screen and lived! Surprising how effective those cloths Pioneer supply are really...)

I think (or at least hope) that Ben was speaking figuratively. Despite your forthright style, I never had you down as a toddler-beater.

The_Lhc's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

I think (or at least hope) that Ben was speaking figuratively. Despite your forthright style, I never had you down as a toddler-beater.

No worries, I think we're all on the same page!

BenLaw's picture

Entirely figuratively, just as he's been knocking pioneer7 into shape on this thread!

I am the danger. 

strapped for cash's picture

BenLaw wrote:

Entirely figuratively, just as he's been knocking pioneer7 into shape on this thread!

:grin:

However hot under the collar some of us have become of late, an online forum limits confrontation to verbal sparring.

Just as well, really, as some remarks might have triggered physical violence if face-to-face. (Of course this isn't commentary on active contributors to this forum.)

gingersmarty's picture

So one fella asks for some advice

Another takes the time to provide some sort of answer/opinion/experience

There then follows over 20 non related posts

really helpful.

RobinKidderminster's picture
RE: really be as effective as a £1500 projector screen

Huh. Forums eh?

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

BenLaw's picture

So it goes. 

I am the danger. 

kinda's picture

Back on to the topic, I researched this recently as for various reasons a screen wasn't fitting in the new room, neither my previous large pull down or a slightly smaller pop-up. Both one hunder pound or so screens. I'd also used (good) screen material as a permanent screen on the wall with a velvet border but couldn't get it totally flat and it wasn't ideal decoratively. A motorised tab-tension would have worked but I wasn't prepared to fork out.

I decided to take the universally accepted performance hit of painting the wall and have no border and started to investigate. Some US guys were mixing whites with various amounts of gloss and metallics and reckoning they could get better results than very expensive screens, so it seemed good. The paints weren't available, and I wasn't prepared to do loads of experimental mixing. I looked at the special paints but they were expensive and I wasn't convinced, and thought if I tried normal paint I could at least use it for other stuff if the picture was rubbish.

I finally decided to go for Farrow and Ball All White, which tends to have plenty of pigment and seemed the purest white around, (others tinted blue or pink slightly). I went for Modern Emulsion, (7% gloss and wipeable).

Anyway, I feel the picture is better than the screens were providing, and don't miss having a border. Thre colours seem better contained and more natural to me, and I think the picture is a little sharper. anyway I'm very pleased and don't intend to go back to a screen any time soon.   

If you want to know more detail I posted on here after I'd done it, (I think it was titled Farrow and Ball All White).

Alantiggger's picture

The_Lhc wrote:

pioneer7 wrote:
LED Sorry lhc

Is that supposed to be an attempt at humour? I've got a 4 year old grandson that can do better than that.

Quote:
as you have given a constructive answer, do you have any worth while input :silenced:

I see you've managed to find google :clap: , so now you know what projector screen paint is, do you want to explain how your experience has any relevance to the conversation?

Edited; never mind mine was a needless comment tbh. (apologies)    :type:

Alantiggger

mr malarky's picture

BenLaw wrote:

I prefer BBB's solution to screen cleaning, time to break out that belt sander!!

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture

mr malarky wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

I prefer BBB's solution to screen cleaning, time to break out that belt sander!!

Oh for god's sake, don't use a belt sander on the screen, it's just for the just for the bezel! :grin:

Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 (Front) Dali Zensor Vokal (Centre) Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition (Surround) Cambridge Audio Minx 11 (Front Presence and Surround Back) / Roksan Radius 5.2

Pages