14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Waxy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 15/05/2014 - 17:04
Posts: 280
Stylus cleaning
English

As the proud and nervous owner of a new Nagaoka MP-200, I'm wondering how people clean their needles? I've seen the Nagaoka ckeaning fluid. Has anyone used it? Are there any downsides, or things to avoid? What about brushing? I've also seen people using "magic erasers" to reportedly good effect. Anyone tried this?

 

:cheers:

Mince pies and a large port

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
RE: Stylus cleaning

I use this stylus brush from Clearaudio,

 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

But thinking in buying this... :?

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZERODUST-ONZOW-JAPAN-STYLUS-CLEANER-BRAND-NEW-FRESH-SEALED-FREE-SHIPPING-FRM-EU-/231267216014?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d899aa8e

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 4083
RE: Stylus cleaning

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

I use this stylus brush from Clearaudio,

 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

But thinking in buying this... :?

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZERODUST-ONZOW-JAPAN-STYLUS-CLEANER-BRAND-NEW-FRESH-SEALED-FREE-SHIPPING-FRM-EU-/231267216014?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d899aa8e

the Onzow is now what I use every 10 or so records, the brush every side

 

Michell Gyrodec, RB303, Benz Micro Ace H, Icon Audio ST40 w/KT88s, PS1 Phono, Kudos X2, Rega Apollo R, DAC

 

 

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
RE: Stylus cleaning

stevebrock wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

I use this stylus brush from Clearaudio,

 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

But thinking in buying this... :?

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZERODUST-ONZOW-JAPAN-STYLUS-CLEANER-BRAND-NEW-FRESH-SEALED-FREE-SHIPPING-FRM-EU-/231267216014?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d899aa8e

the Onzow is now what I use every 10 or so records, the brush every side

 

is it worth it? The Onzow?

when i want the extra cleaning of the stylus i use a drop of isopropyl alcohol in the brush...

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

ifor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 03/12/2002 - 11:54
Posts: 1009
RE: Stylus cleaning

stevebrock wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

I use this stylus brush from Clearaudio,

 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

But thinking in buying this... :?

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZERODUST-ONZOW-JAPAN-STYLUS-CLEANER-BRAND-NEW-FRESH-SEALED-FREE-SHIPPING-FRM-EU-/231267216014?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d899aa8e

the Onzow is now what I use every 10 or so records, the brush every side

 

i use them both, but reverse Steve's frequencies.  I've thinking of getting this  http://www.analogueseduction.net/stylus-cleaners/vinyl-passion-dust-buster-stylus-cleaner.html to see how it compares to the Onzow.

"Inspired" Manticore Mantra TT, Technics SL-7 TT, Graham Slee Reflex M phono preamp.  Cyrus CD8SE.  iMac, Raspberry Pi c/w HiFiBerry Digi c/w Volumio or Rune Audio, Arcam rDAC.  Roksan Kandy LIII amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 4083
RE: Stylus cleaning

The Onzow works well IMO, and it has a handy magnifier in the lid - you would be amazed to see the timy particles of dust on it!

 

Michell Gyrodec, RB303, Benz Micro Ace H, Icon Audio ST40 w/KT88s, PS1 Phono, Kudos X2, Rega Apollo R, DAC

 

 

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
RE: Stylus cleaning

Another  thing I think is worth is this little bubble level, got one two weeks ago 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

Waxy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 15/05/2014 - 17:04
Posts: 280
RE: Stylus cleaning

Thanks everyone. Have ordered the Zerodust.  Smile

Shiny things. Now with bouncy needles! Biggrin

Waxy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 15/05/2014 - 17:04
Posts: 280
RE: Stylus cleaning

Onzo Zerodust turned up today.  Smile

 

First dunk in the blob left a black mark - seems to me a better way of doing it compared to a brush!

Shiny things. Now with bouncy needles! Biggrin

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 4083
RE: Stylus cleaning

Waxy wrote:

Onzo Zerodust turned up today.  Smile

 

First dunk in the blob left a black mark - seems to me a better way of doing it compared to a brush!

Im always looking thru the magnifier at my stylus!

 

Michell Gyrodec, RB303, Benz Micro Ace H, Icon Audio ST40 w/KT88s, PS1 Phono, Kudos X2, Rega Apollo R, DAC

 

 

Waxy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 15/05/2014 - 17:04
Posts: 280
RE: Stylus cleaning

stevebrock wrote:

Waxy wrote:

Onzo Zerodust turned up today.  Smile

 

First dunk in the blob left a black mark - seems to me a better way of doing it compared to a brush!

Im always looking thru the magnifier at my stylus!

 

 

My other half is out. I'm reliving my somewhat metallic teenage years (poor neighbours). Most of the records are 25+ years old and dirty. The Onzo is getting a good workout after every side!

Shiny things. Now with bouncy needles! Biggrin

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
RE: Stylus cleaning

stevebrock wrote:

Waxy wrote:

Onzo Zerodust turned up today.  Smile

 

First dunk in the blob left a black mark - seems to me a better way of doing it compared to a brush!

Im always looking thru the magnifier at my stylus!

 

how do you clean the Zerodust? Is it washable?

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

Waxy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 15/05/2014 - 17:04
Posts: 280
RE: Stylus cleaning

The instructions just say to wash in in warm water with "detergent".

Shiny things. Now with bouncy needles! Biggrin

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 4083
RE: Stylus cleaning

yes washable - bit of detergent warm water

 

Michell Gyrodec, RB303, Benz Micro Ace H, Icon Audio ST40 w/KT88s, PS1 Phono, Kudos X2, Rega Apollo R, DAC

 

 

Log in or register to post comments