67 posts / 0 new
Last post
marou's picture
RE: Could you live on £26000 ?

Welfare is there to support those whom capitaiism fails. And yet when capitalism fails on a grand scale, those on benefits are blamed. Does anyone really think that they rather than, for example, tax avoiders are responsible for the current crisis?  

marou's picture

[UNPUBLISHED DUPLICATE]

Welfare is there to support those whom capitaiism fails. And yet when capitalism fails on a grand scale, those on benefits are blamed. Does anyone really think that they rather than, for example, tax avoiders are responsible for the current crisis?  

marou's picture

[UNPUBLISHED DUPLICATE]

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE:

marou wrote:

Firstly, welfare is nothing to do with "capitalism failing". Welfare is only available because of Capitalism - it provides the income which provides the tax which provides the welfare payments. 

Secondly, the total welfare bill for the UK is circa £200 Billion per year. The cost of so called tax avoidance is (even from the most rabid Guardianista) is £25 Billion per year.

Go do the maths, come back and try again.

landzw's picture

If you have children it changes everything, if you don't you don't get much at all 

bigboss's picture

Back in 2004, when I was applying for jobs, I was very careful with my spending. We were a group of 5 friends. I paid £40 per week on accommodation, & food was £6.50 per week (when the cost was split between the 5 of us). All shopping was exclusively Lidl & a local butcher. Never needed any welfare money, nor from our parents. Never ate out. Being a non-smoker & teetotaler definitely helped. This was for a couple of months, until I secured my first job. 

Alec's picture
RE:

cloverleaf146 wrote:
...very minor but long overdue welfare reform

Only you, Margaret, only you.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: RE:

Alec wrote:

cloverleaf146 wrote:
...very minor but long overdue welfare reform

Only you, Margaret, only you.

Yes only me.

Oh, and nearly everyone else on this thread.

Oh, and the vast majority of hard working tax payers.

But apart from that........

woodster's picture

To be honest, I would really struggle with that sum of money. My cloth is cut for a larger amount shall we say, but If I had to do what a lot of folk on here do on that amount I would have to scrap a lot of my spending habits and buying of technical gadgets etc.

I absolutely respect anyone who goes out and works hard, but recieves a lower income and makes all the life/family stuff happen. It is the long term personal choice/lifestyle unemployed that get my goat, regardless of what benefits they get, From a lifelong taxpayer and ex serviceman, I have quite strong views on what these people should be made to do for society as pay back, I wont repeat them here.

For all the umemployed who want work, best of luck, I wish you every success.

Hegel H160 Amp, Audiolab 8200cd, Auralic Mini streamer, Rega RP3 deck, Musical Fidelity M1LPS Phono stage, B&W CM8 speakers.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE:

woodster wrote:

. It is the long term personal choice/lifestyle unemployed that get my goat, regardless of what benefits they get, From a lifelong taxpayer and ex serviceman, I have quite strong views on what these people should be made to do for society as pay back, I wont repeat them here.

Oh go on, you know you want to Smile

marou's picture
RE:

If capitalism doesn't provide a safety net, its protectors fear a breakdown of the social order on which capitalism depends. As for cost, pensions account for £79 billion (47%) of welfare. I'm a pensioner and feel rather embarassed that in their zeal to demonise people they deem to be undeserving the government gives pensioners a free ride. JSA is actually one of the smaller benefits at aroung £5 billion (Housing benefit is £17 billion but this is a function of the market rather than fecklessnes) which combined with DLA of £13 billion is less than your tax avoidance estimate.

relocated's picture

OPUS< OPUS are you out there?

You have neglected to tell us about who pays for your accomodation and how much.  Given how much verbage you have managed to spew out and that you appear to be able to read and write; why is that???  Oh, also how much you ponce off your mates?

Are you also saying that you have only ever worked for SIX MONTHS and yet still proclaim what a dreadful life you have.  Perhaps if you put as much effort into getting a job as you have bandying about your dissatisfaction with the system, you might actually end up contributing to society.

:wall:

Apple lossless - Netgear Nighthawk - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40.  

AVI ADM 9T used in my wife's system

Alec's picture

relocated wrote:
You have neglected to tell us about who pays for your accomodation and how much...Oh, also how much you ponce off your mates?

It is none of your business, you nasty, narrow minded Tory EDITED

The_Lhc's picture

Alec wrote:

relocated wrote:
You have neglected to tell us about who pays for your accomodation and how much...

It is none of your business,

Whilst that's true it is relevant to the question at hand, if Opus had his accomodation paid for then he's getting more than just his £71 a week (or whatever it was). The question itself was fair, the manner of the question perhaps less so.

[NOTE FROM MODS - WELL SAID RE MANNER OF QUESTION. PLEASE CAN TONES BE CALMER, OR POSTS WILL BE EDITED]

eggontoast's picture

Alec wrote:

It is none of your business, you nasty, narrow minded Tory EDITED

Why do you use the term Tory as being derogatory ?

Someone has to sort out the abysmal mess which the Labour party created. Labour rewarded failure and increased the amount of layabouts to boost their votes. Unfortunately it was unsustainable and people are getting sick of paying a huge amount of tax to keep a bunch of scum bags who refuse to work. It's unfortunate in my eyes that they have ring fenced the overseas aid budget too, that should be cut as China, Pakistan etc can support themselves.

Pages