64 posts / 0 new
Last post
JMacMan's picture
RE: What's your opinion about B&W802D?

CnoEvil wrote:

When looking at an Amp / Speaker match, I check out the following:

AMP

- Power (W) into 8 Ohms and Power into 4 Ohms......if this doubles, you have a very robust power supply.**

- Current (A)  peak to peak.....high current is good.

- Damping factor  (ability to control bass unit)

- Power consumption at idle  (a high standing current means a reasonable proportion of output in Class A).

- Weight  (if an AB amp, it gives an idea of quality of Transformer)

** This is a great measure of an amp ie. how close it gets to doubling power as impedance halves.

SPEAKERS

- Sensitivity  (The higher this is, the louder they will go for a given amount of power)

- Nominal impedance (approximate designed impedance)

- Min impedance  (This tells you if you need an amp with good current)

- Frequency Response  (gives an idea of how high / low they will go, but doesn't tell you about bass weight / definition)

- Amplifier requirements (what is the min power required).

Let your dealer guide you on which amps are suitable to drive the speakers, but not which sound best, as this has to be your preference.

If you go for a Class A amp, you want speakers of high sensitivity but low impedance, to make the most of its low wattage but high current delivery.

I'm far from the most technical person on here, but that is my understanding.

IMHO these are all excellent points; however they also highlight the difficulty in mixing and matching components in a retail environment, making decisions which are ultimately very expensive, will hopefully last you for many, many years, and yet are expected to be made on the basis of a few hours listening in an unfamiliar environment.

Personally, I find the Big B&W's utterly superb, and they were my dream speaker for several decades - until I had a very serious and lenghty audition of an B&O Beolab 5.

Now, I'm not saying you should foget the 802D, and jump ship towards the Lab 5's, as they are both excellent and personal preference will come into it, but have you thought of listening to either them, or other active alternatives such as Meridian, before pulling the financial trigger?

Certainly actives take a huge amount of the guesswork in assembling a system by mixing and (hopefully) matching, out of the equation, allowing one to sit back and enjoy a sytem fully tailored by some of the highest tertiary trained experts in the industry, as a fully completed, and ideally matched set - no guesswork on the part of amateur enthusiasts needed.

If you've set your heart on the 802's - go for it - they're superb IMHO - but if all the mixing and matching and guessing becomes too neurotic and obsessional, and well, just plain worrying, as in, - 'have I made the right choice' - then actives offer a brilliant solution to that amount of brain fade - speaking from personal experience, such that I'd never go the mix and match separates route of system building again - most especially when relatively large amounts of money are involved.   Dirol

And no, I'm not a 'shill' for AVI!!   :O

Look forward to hearing how you get on

Kind regards

JB   :grin:

DocG's picture

JMacMan wrote:

Personally, I find the Big B&W's utterly superb, and they were my dream speaker for several decades - until I had a very serious and lenghty audition of an B&O Beolab 5.

Now, I'm not saying you should foget the 802D, and jump ship towards the Lab 5's, as they are both excellent and personal preference will come into it, but have you thought of listening to either them, or other active alternatives such as Meridian, before pulling the financial trigger?

If you've set your heart on the 802's - go for it - they're superb IMHO - but if all the mixing and matching and guessing becomes too neurotic and obsessional, and well, just plain worrying, as in, - 'have I made the right choice' - then actives offer a brilliant solution to that amount of brain fade - speaking from personal experience, such that I'd never go the mix and match separates route of system building again - most especially when relatively large amounts of money are involved. 

I agree with JMac on hearing the Lab5s before deciding. They look neat, are full range, have a very broad sweet spot, have proper amplification built in (you can plug your BDP-105 straight into the speakers), and they come with a built-in,automated room correction system as well. Knowing the huge contribution of the room to the final sound you get, I think that's a factor to consider. Not saying you should get B&O, but if possible, have a listen.

PS: I don't own BeoLabs myself. But I'm glad I auditioned them with an open mind. They are still in the running for me...

Sunny98007's picture

B&O Beolab 5  looks great. I think it's worth hearing by heart. Thank you for your recommendation! 

CnoEvil's picture

Sunny98007 wrote:

B&O Beolab 5  looks great. I think it's worth hearing by heart. Thank you for your recommendation! 

They certainly are.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

hone_u2's picture

I honestly think B&W have done a miracle with their carbon braced tweeter in the PM1, The B&W 802s are no doubt amazing... But with new tweeter technologies on the rise at B&W, I would think there definitely can be a better 802 if you know what I mean...

I also feel, the PM1s have their rhythm and timing thing done very very well... Of course we are comparing a bookshelf to a floorstander of the size of the 802s, but i think PM1s are a start to a new generation for B&W.. 

Just something to consider I feel before spending that kind of money...  Smile :roll:

Sunny98007's picture

I have a question: would CD player be the Past? I was told that PC-Hifi or something else would take over CD Player? In Europe, some CD-Player manufacturers have stopped developing CD Players. Do you think it will be replaced in the near future?

CnoEvil's picture

Sunny98007 wrote:

I have a question: would CD player be the Past? I was told that PC-Hifi or something else would take over CD Player? In Europe, some CD-Player manufacturers have stopped developing CD Players. Do you think it will be replaced in the near future?

IMO. The CD Player has a limited life before it goes the way of the DVD Player, but CDs will be around for longer, as people like to own a physical back up.

When (or if) high resolution audio becomes the norm (and sensibly priced), the CD will then gradually phase out......which again is speculation on my part.

Edit. Have you heard any more amps yet?

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Sunny98007's picture

So far, I have not heard any more amps. I think I prefer B&Ws driven by Gryphon amps. By the way, what do you think of BeoLab 9? How does it compare with 802D? Given time, I will go to hear hear BeoLab 9 this weekend. 

CnoEvil's picture

You may well prefer it (or you may not).......but it also depends on what you match the 802Ds with (and what source is used).

Let us know what you think.

Sunny98007's picture

The day before yesterday, I went to demo the BeoLab 5. The sounding is natural and clear. I think it is excellent for movies rather than Hifi. Every product is an art. I was impressed by its design. 

ebentjerodt's picture

Sunny,  go for the Gryphon Diablo. it is porbbaly the finest integrated Amp available.

kr

Eduardo

Sunny98007's picture

Thanks! I have been looking for the proper amp for 802D. The dealer also recommends Diablo. So far, I have only heard 802D driven by Pass, Mclntosh and Gryphon. I think I love sounding of Gryphon most. Can you recommend me a source please? I prefer a streamer than a CD. Here are some candidates: Musical Fidelity M1CLIC,Cyrus Streamline 2, Bladelius Emble DL.  Would you tell me what you know about them? Or offer some other options?  Thank you! 

CnoEvil's picture

Sunny98007 wrote:

Thanks! I have been looking for the proper amp for 802D. The dealer also recommends Diablo. So far, I have only heard 802D driven by Pass, Mclntosh and Gryphon. I think I love sounding of Gryphon most. Can you recommend me a source please? I prefer a streamer than a CD. Here are some candidates: Musical Fidelity M1CLIC,Cyrus Streamline 2, Bladelius Emble DL.  Would you tell me what you know about them? Or offer some other options?  Thank you! 

I have briefly heard the Bladelius Embla on a couple of occasions, and I thought it was an exceedingly musical bit of kit.....it would be my choice from your list.

I would also recommend you try the Linn DS range (Majik DS or Akurate DS), if it is available to you.

Macspur's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

Sunny98007 wrote:

I have briefly heard the Bladelius Embla on a couple of occasions, and I thought it was an exceedingly musical bit of kit.....it would be my choice from your list.

I would also recommend you try the Linn DS range (Majik DS or Akurate DS), if it is available to you.

Cno, if my memory serves me right, did you say you may be tempted by one of these? "Linn Klimax Renew DS Digital Streamer, mint condition, absolutely stunning sound quality! on sale at the mo at Audio Emotion for just under 4K.
Apologies if I've misunderstood.

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

CnoEvil's picture

Macspur wrote:

Cno, if my memory serves me right, did you say you may be tempted by one of these? "Linn Klimax Renew DS Digital Streamer, mint condition, absolutely stunning sound quality! on sale at the mo at Audio Emotion for just under 4K.

Apologies if I've misunderstood.

Mac

Cheers Mac, I might easily have been......but all spare cash is going to fix the house atm  Sad

:cheers:

Cno

Pages