22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bebeboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/11/2012 - 18:33
Posts: 52
Wharfedale dentons vs monitor audio rx1

I already have the dentons. They are exceptional speaker in terms of sound and build quality. I happen to see a MA RX1 in piano black gloss, lovely speakers too. How was it compared to dentons? Anybody heard both? Inputs please

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16418
Best advice is to audition

Best advice is to audition and compare. I'm a big fan of the 1970s Dentons - sure they will both give you a difference presentation. But it'll come down to your amp and source to which make will be better.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16019
RE: Best advice is to audition

plastic penguin wrote:
I'm a big fan of the 1970s Dentons...

Not sure if the OP is referring to the current model Dentons or the original 1960s Dentons or the 1970s 2XP versions.

 

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 3024
RE: Best advice is to audition

chebby wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:
I'm a big fan of the 1970s Dentons...

Not sure if the OP is referring to the current model Dentons or the original 1960s Dentons or the 1970s 2XP versions.

 

I was assuming he meant the latest model as I doubt there's many of us oldies that would have heard the original model and the RX1's and still remembered what they sounded like. :grin:

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen speakers.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16418
RE: Best advice is to audition

Neither.

Based on the reviews of the new Dentons they seem to have a very similar signature to the 1970s Dentons i.e. smooth sound that majors on solidity rather than out and out detail.

As you know no-one else had responded to the OP's question I recommended he try and listen to the MAs before committing. 

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/09/2008 - 17:39
Posts: 2755
RE: Best advice is to audition

plastic penguin wrote:

As you know no-one else had responded to the OP's question I recommended he try and listen to the MAs before committing. 

 

Committing what , suicide ?.  Wink

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16418
RE: Best advice is to audition

floyd droid wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

As you know no-one else had responded to the OP's question I recommended he try and listen to the MAs before committing. 

 

Committing what , suicide ?.  Wink

Huh! Floydie, Floydie, Floydie....

Clue: "...happen to see a MA RX1 in piano black gloss, lovely speakers too. How was it compared to dentons?"

 

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/09/2008 - 17:39
Posts: 2755
RE: Best advice is to audition

I know I know PP. It didnt read right but I couldnt be fagged to delete it ,lol.  Bored today ,does it show.

 

Mibbe I should have typed ... suicide after being subjected to..... :grin:

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16418
RE: Best advice is to audition

floyd droid wrote:

I know I know PP. It didnt read right but I couldnt be fagged to delete it ,lol.  Bored today ,does it show.

 

Mibbe I should have typed ... suicide after being subjected to..... :grin:

Quite possibly. How many grains of sugar do you get to one tea spoon? Smile

Always had a 'soft spot' for the old Dentons.... shock, horror,  :O  even considered them as possible replacement for the RS6s, but somehow I feel they'd be a sideway stride. 

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/09/2008 - 17:39
Posts: 2755
RE: Best advice is to audition

Waaaay off topic ,sorry OP. Have they sorted your frisser spinner yet PP ?.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16418
RE: Best advice is to audition

floyd droid wrote:

Have they sorted your frisser spinner yet PP ?.

Allegedly. Still no sign of its imminent return.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

manicm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2008 - 12:57
Posts: 2703
RE: Best advice is to audition

I have the RX1s, and they're an eminently musical speaker. They don't have the soundstage of say a 685 (still the class leader in this respect IMHO), but you won't notice it because it just lets you go ahead and enjoy the music. Plus it's pretty easy to drive, with high sensitivity and a very stable load.

danrv's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 17/09/2010 - 00:55
Posts: 194
RE: Best advice is to audition

Used to own them. Smooth, controlled sound with a slightly rounded off treble. Would liked to have kept them but bass was a little too much as I had them in corners.Went for front ported instead.

Very nice speakers in the right setup.

Bebeboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/11/2012 - 18:33
Posts: 52
RE: Wharfedale dentons vs monitor audio rx1

I mean the new dentons, 80th anniversary edition. They are easy on the ears. Would the rx1 also pair nicely with a rotel rc1550 preamp and rb1080 power amp, cd player is a denon dcd 1650al and rotel rcd 06se. Chord ics and speaker cables.

or a nad amp say 325 would be better paired with the rx1?

thanks mates

manicm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2008 - 12:57
Posts: 2703
RE: Best advice is to audition

danrv wrote:

Used to own them. Smooth, controlled sound with a slightly rounded off treble. Would liked to have kept them but bass was a little too much as I had them in corners.Went for front ported instead.

Very nice speakers in the right setup.

Even a front-ported speaker is going to be compromised right in a corner. Mine are not right in corners but about 20cm from the rear wall. They're smooth but I don't find the treble rounded -off. In fact they're more extended than the BX2.

Bebeboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/11/2012 - 18:33
Posts: 52
RE: Best advice is to audition

manicm wrote:

danrv wrote:

Used to own them. Smooth, controlled sound with a slightly rounded off treble. Would liked to have kept them but bass was a little too much as I had them in corners.Went for front ported instead.

Very nice speakers in the right setup.

Even a front-ported speaker is going to be compromised right in a corner. Mine are not right in corners but about 20cm from the rear wall. They're smooth but I don't find the treble rounded -off. In fact they're more extended than the BX2.

 

your using the rx1 with the arcam solo?

Pages

Log in or register to post comments