62 posts / 0 new
Last post
chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16363
Naim / Focal takeover
English

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

MUSICRAFT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 23/03/2009 - 20:38
Posts: 4627
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

Hi chebby

Good news Smile

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Musicraft (Derby) - Specialist Hi-Fi, AV & Multimedia dealer

jjbomber's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 22/12/2006 - 00:42
Posts: 799
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

How do the rest of us buy shares in Naim? Is it still a private company?

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23071
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

NaxiCap? Does that cost extra?

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

jjbomber's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 22/12/2006 - 00:42
Posts: 799
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

John Duncan wrote:
NaxiCap? Does that cost extra?

 

It does sound like an all-in-one product doesn't it!!!! A Nap power amp, HDX and Hi-Cap power supply combined.

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 3200
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

John Duncan wrote:
NaxiCap? Does that cost extra?

A whole lot extra!  ROFL

 

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen speakers.

Richard Allen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 days ago
Joined: 09/01/2010 - 16:56
Posts: 600
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

Interesting portfolio for Naxicap. And the other one. Like a french version of Dragon's Den but a whole lot bigger. Majority share, Chairman steps down and a new CEO. Wonder what comes next?. Muso I hope.

Andy Clough's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 27/04/2004 - 16:13
Posts: 6771
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

philipjohnwright's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 26/06/2009 - 21:32
Posts: 242
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

Fairly standard approach really. The founder sells up, retaining a nominal role but basically cashing in his life's work (and good for him). Private equity comes in with a view to exiting in 3-4 years having built the group up further and making a return of anything from 5 x their investment upwards (good ones get 100 x, but the deals tend to be bigger).

How to make the group worth more? I'd guess more acquisitions, something fairly common in the high end world at the moment. Plus an even stronger focus on what sells, not what pleases the audiophile community. Which could mean more ultra high end gear, more 'populist' stuff like the Muso (populist is all relative!), or similar. Think what Meridian did a few years back when they were acquired by private equity - a move upmarket into the lifestyle arena, away from their traditional roots but still retainign excellent products. Oh and they acquired Soolos (which might have been just before the sale but to my mind was an inextricable part of it).

Richard Allen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 days ago
Joined: 09/01/2010 - 16:56
Posts: 600
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

philipjohnwright wrote:

Fairly standard approach really. The founder sells up, retaining a nominal role but basically cashing in his life's work (and good for him). Private equity comes in with a view to exiting in 3-4 years having built the group up further and making a return of anything from 5 x their investment upwards (good ones get 100 x, but the deals tend to be bigger).

How to make the group worth more? I'd guess more acquisitions, something fairly common in the high end world at the moment. Plus an even stronger focus on what sells, not what pleases the audiophile community. Which could mean more ultra high end gear, more 'populist' stuff like the Muso (populist is all relative!), or similar. Think what Meridian did a few years back when they were acquired by private equity - a move upmarket into the lifestyle arena, away from their traditional roots but still retainign excellent products. Oh and they acquired Soolos (which might have been just before the sale but to my mind was an inextricable part of it).

Hope it works that way and good for them I say. Oh, and no disrespect intended but I am aware of how acquisitions happen. Smile

manicm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 hours ago
Joined: 01/05/2008 - 12:57
Posts: 2739
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

This isn't news. Cirrus Logic has acquired Wolfson Microelectronics. When this happens inevitably cost-cutting will occur, and audio quality will suffer as we've seen in iPods when the Wolfson chips were replaced.

RIP Wolfson, nice knowing ya.

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

Lot of movement in the audio world just now.  Phillips has sold one of their divisions, Woox, to Gibson (of guitars fame) who also recently acquired Onkyo and Teac. 

 

 

Vladimir's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 26/12/2013 - 19:17
Posts: 2123
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

the record spot wrote:

Lot of movement in the audio world just now.  Phillips has sold one of their divisions, Woox, to Gibson (of guitars fame) who also recently acquired Onkyo and Teac. 

 

 

 

Any link? Thanks. 

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8349
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

A contracting market and an ongoing period of consolidation with the end result that there will probably be less real choice and some brands will more than likely disappear or change beyond recognition. 

Rega RP3/Elys 2/TT PSU - Rega Apollo R - Rega Brio R - Dynaudio DM2/6 

Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

 

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 2118
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

matthewpiano wrote:

A contracting market and an ongoing period of consolidation with the end result that there will probably be less real choice and some brands will more than likely disappear or change beyond recognition. 

Yes, it's certainly a changing market, but globalization means the UK is no longer the centre of the hi-fi universe. There's still loads of choice, some of which we've never heard of. JungSon Audio anyone? An 80W Class A amp for 1300 euros! 

And there still plenty of UK brands that continue to make great kit here: Harbeth, Sugden, Neat, Kudos, Rega, Leema, Roksan, Cyrus, Croft, Linn, PMC, ATC, Proac, Spendor, as well as brands that split their manufacturing between the UK and the Far East (Musical Fidelity, B&W etc). I think there's still a lot of choice.

Matt 

This train … carries saints and sinners / This train … carries losers and winners / This train … carries whores and gamblers / This train … carries lost souls.

Vladimir's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 26/12/2013 - 19:17
Posts: 2123
RE: Naim / Focal takeover

I may get a beating over this but UK was never considered worlds best Hi-Fi, at least outside the UK. 

Tier 1 - USA.

Tier 2 - Japan, UK.

Tier 3 - Scandinavia, Germany, France, Italy, Serbia, Russia.

 

I never understood why you guys dislike B&W so much since it is the most successful UK company to carry the torch for the Kingdom against giants like Harman. 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments