12 posts / 0 new
Last post
d_a_n1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 day ago
Joined: 06/09/2007 - 20:48
Posts: 2853
NAD C320BEE + B&W 685s = WOW factor...
English

Just put this little system together as I wanted to bring my main system to our spare room as that's where it'll get used the most with me working from home and so I've replaced it with a NAD C320BEE I've had for years and some ex-demo B&W 685's I've just picked up from Audio T for silly money...

 

WOW... Surprised

 

Completely forgot how good the NAD amp is; bags of power and effortless sound. The 685's are still superb speakers (should know this is my 3rd set haha) and for me better than the MA RX1's which I listened too as well (but the RX2's will always be my fave standmounts but too big for this need)!

 

Cureently got the Commitments soundtrack playing through them and I'm singing my heart out whilst tidying up (wifes 30th this weekend so mugs here is doing the chores like a good little house bi**h I am) Wink Biggrin Blum 3

 

The NAD works so well with the 685's; sounds fantastic with vocals. Already had my test tunes from Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Linzi Zaorski & Caro Emerald on as well as tracks with very deep, solid bass like Trentmoller, Mount Kimbie & Boys Noize...

 

Got it all hooked up to my Apple TV2 via a FiiOn D3 DAC (if you havent experienced one of these yet you MUST buy one; they're only £30 and sound fantastic) and streaming from my MacBook Pro & iTunes upstairs via AirPlay...

 

Effortless system Biggrin

alchemist 1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 23 hours ago
Joined: 28/03/2012 - 18:19
Posts: 659
RE: NAD C320BEE + B&W 685s = WOW factor...

    How far are your 685's off the rear wall? 

d_a_n1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 day ago
Joined: 06/09/2007 - 20:48
Posts: 2853
RE: NAD C320BEE + B&W 685s = WOW factor...

A good 12-14inches with ease Smile

 

No boom; no dull thumping; just taut, deep bass and a really good open soundstage Biggrin

plastic penguin's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17001
RE: NAD C320BEE + B&W 685s = WOW factor...

Nice one. TBH I was surprised when you sold the 355 and RX6s.

I assume you you no longer have the A5s.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

alchemist 1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 23 hours ago
Joined: 28/03/2012 - 18:19
Posts: 659
RE: NAD C320BEE + B&W 685s = WOW factor...

d_a_n1979 wrote:

A good 12-14inches with ease Smile

 

No boom; no dull thumping; just taut, deep bass and a really good open soundstage Biggrin

                  Cheers 79, do you reckon they would give the same results at about 8''.    

d_a_n1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 day ago
Joined: 06/09/2007 - 20:48
Posts: 2853
RE: NAD C320BEE + B&W 685s = WOW factor...

alchemist 1 wrote:

d_a_n1979 wrote:

A good 12-14inches with ease Smile

 

No boom; no dull thumping; just taut, deep bass and a really good open soundstage Biggrin

                  Cheers 79, do you reckon they would give the same results at about 8''.    

 

Id say so; they're forward firing so easier to place really.

 

Need good, solid and mass loaded stands under them though to get the best out of them IMO 

d_a_n1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 day ago
Joined: 06/09/2007 - 20:48
Posts: 2853
RE: NAD C320BEE + B&W 685s = WOW factor...

plastic penguin wrote:

Nice one. TBH I was surprised when you sold the 355 and RX6s.

I assume you you no longer have the A5s.

 

TBH squire the RX6s were amazing; more so with the NAD C355BEE but overall too big for the room.

 

Gone through all different floorstanders since; Neat Motive 2s, Rega RS5s, QUAD 22L2s, PMC GB1is etc... All brilliant but the Motive 2s were my fave; seriously regret selling those! Gone through a load of amps too but still not found many that can better the Arcam Alpha 10!!!

 

Aktimate Maxis (not Audioengine A5s) were great but limited tbh but a great solution if you don't want a separates system and still sounded very good. If I were to go active again I'd go for the Swans M200s or Yamaha HMS80s or Dynaudio BM5a MkIIs etc with a good DAC (Emotiva XDA1 etc...)

Craig M.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 20:10
Posts: 2916
RE: NAD C320BEE + B&W 685s = WOW factor...

d_a_n1979 wrote:

Aktimate Maxis (not Audioengine A5s) were great but limited tbh but a great solution if you don't want a separates system and still sounded very good. If I were to go active again I'd go for the Swans M200s or Yamaha HMS80s or Dynaudio BM5a MkIIs etc with a good DAC (Emotiva XDA1 etc...)

Just for information, the Maxis and Swans are not actives (despite the manufacturers describing them as such), they are powered passives.  The Yammies and Dyns are actives (active crossover and seperate power amp for each drive unit).

MeanandGreen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 26/12/2012 - 11:57
Posts: 257
RE: NAD C320BEE + B&W 685s = WOW factor...

d_a_n1979 wrote:

Just put this little system together as I wanted to bring my main system to our spare room as that's where it'll get used the most with me working from home and so I've replaced it with a NAD C320BEE I've had for years and some ex-demo B&W 685's I've just picked up from Audio T for silly money...

 

WOW... Surprised

 

Completely forgot how good the NAD amp is; bags of power and effortless sound. The 685's are still superb speakers (should know this is my 3rd set haha) and for me better than the MA RX1's which I listened too as well (but the RX2's will always be my fave standmounts but too big for this need)!

 

Cureently got the Commitments soundtrack playing through them and I'm singing my heart out whilst tidying up (wifes 30th this weekend so mugs here is doing the chores like a good little house bi**h I am) Wink Biggrin Blum 3

 

The NAD works so well with the 685's; sounds fantastic with vocals. Already had my test tunes from Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Linzi Zaorski & Caro Emerald on as well as tracks with very deep, solid bass like Trentmoller, Mount Kimbie & Boys Noize...

 

Got it all hooked up to my Apple TV2 via a FiiOn D3 DAC (if you havent experienced one of these yet you MUST buy one; they're only £30 and sound fantastic) and streaming from my MacBook Pro & iTunes upstairs via AirPlay...

 

Effortless system Biggrin

Good stuff! Smile

I'm a bit of a sucker for NAD amps & B&W speaker combos myself, owning a C350 & C326BEE paired with B&W DM 601 S3 speakers. Very satisfying in power, punch, clarity, depth, finesse, sound staging  and refinement IMO.

2.2 channel AV system & gadgets made up of various kit from NAD, Sony, Pioneer, Arcam, Tannoy, LG, Apple, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, QED & Van Damme.

d_a_n1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 day ago
Joined: 06/09/2007 - 20:48
Posts: 2853
RE: NAD C320BEE + B&W 685s = WOW factor...

Craig M. wrote:

d_a_n1979 wrote:

Aktimate Maxis (not Audioengine A5s) were great but limited tbh but a great solution if you don't want a separates system and still sounded very good. If I were to go active again I'd go for the Swans M200s or Yamaha HMS80s or Dynaudio BM5a MkIIs etc with a good DAC (Emotiva XDA1 etc...)

Just for information, the Maxis and Swans are not actives (despite the manufacturers describing them as such), they are powered passives.  The Yammies and Dyns are actives (active crossover and seperate power amp for each drive unit).

 

yes I know; just wanted to call them how they're generally known as and not getting into too much of a finer point about it Smile

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 16 hours ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8404
RE: NAD C320BEE + B&W 685s = WOW factor...

I still own a NAD C326BEE and, although I'm currently powering my 685s with the Denon, I do also love the NAD/B&W combination so I can completely understand where you are coming from Dan.  It is such a flexible combination with real depth and atmosphere across a wide range of music.  Hard to beat at reasonable money IMO.

Dougal1331's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 days ago
Joined: 30/12/2007 - 20:45
Posts: 622
RE: NAD C320BEE + B&W 685s = WOW factor...

d_a_n1979 wrote:

A good 12-14inches with ease

 

She cried...

Log in or register to post comments