72 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vladimir's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 26/12/2013 - 19:17
Posts: 2485
RE: incorrectly matched Ohms?

BigH wrote:

estidog wrote:

The cartridge is a Technics P30 with a Technics P30s stylus on top. Can someone recommend a better cartridge to get if it would help the source sound better? I now have an unbranded stylus though as a replacement. Is the cartidge more important than the stylus?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Technics SU-V460 or perhaps a Nad 302?

I don't know the SU-V460 but it looks better on paper than your current one. Anyone know if its better than a Pioneer A400, they were very well rated a few years ago. 

As for your turntable do NOT stack it on top of your amp that will not be a good idea, best to buy a wall shelf for it if you can.

 

That Technics is no match for the Pioneer A400. Not even close. 

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 3335
RE: incorrectly matched Ohms?

Vladimir wrote:

Al ears wrote:

Probably not the way to go with this system.

Get the source then amp sorted first otherwise how are you going to know whether speakers are the ones for you or not.

:shame:

The Hi-Fi golden rule is you get the speakers first then get everything else to get them sound the best they can. The speakers are the biggest leap in sound quality forward than any other component you upgrade. They define most of the sound performance you get from your system.

This is a complete phalasy. Garbage in / garbage out. You will never know how good the speakers are if you are feeding them rubbish. Agree they will make a big difference if carefully paired with room dynamics but this is meaningless if signal they are receiving is not optimal.

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen speakers.

estidog's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/01/2014 - 12:02
Posts: 12
RE: incorrectly matched Ohms?

Vladimir wrote:

BigH wrote:

I don't know the SU-V460 but it looks better on paper than your current one. Anyone know if its better than a Pioneer A400, they were very well rated a few years ago. 

As for your turntable do NOT stack it on top of your amp that will not be a good idea, best to buy a wall shelf for it if you can.

That Technics is no match for the Pioneer A400. Not even close. 

 

Thanks for the tips on the Pioneer - after a bit of researching it does seem like a highly regarded amp, but there's a lot of chatter about it having a weak phono stage, being a little on the thin sounding side and being very toppy. Is this a good amp to use solely with a vinyl player considering?

TrevC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 12/06/2013 - 10:07
Posts: 765
RE: incorrectly matched Ohms?

Do you like the sound? If not change the speakers. 

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 3335
The A400 was very good in its

The A400 was very good in its day. Can I ask how much you want to spend on a new amp?

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen speakers.

TrevC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 12/06/2013 - 10:07
Posts: 765
RE: incorrectly matched Ohms?

Al ears wrote:

Vladimir wrote:

Al ears wrote:

Probably not the way to go with this system.

Get the source then amp sorted first otherwise how are you going to know whether speakers are the ones for you or not.

:shame:

The Hi-Fi golden rule is you get the speakers first then get everything else to get them sound the best they can. The speakers are the biggest leap in sound quality forward than any other component you upgrade. They define most of the sound performance you get from your system.

This is a complete phalasy. Garbage in / garbage out. You will never know how good the speakers are if you are feeding them rubbish. Agree they will make a big difference if carefully paired with room dynamics but this is meaningless if signal they are receiving is not optimal.

 

Nope, it's perfectly correct. The differences in the sound quality of everything else is miniscule compared to the speakers. I also disagree about the Pioneer A400 being inherently better than a Technics. Like the very ordinary NAD 3020 it's got some sort of wierdly obsessive hifi mag following for some reason.. 

Vladimir's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 26/12/2013 - 19:17
Posts: 2485
RE: incorrectly matched Ohms?

estidog wrote:

Vladimir wrote:

BigH wrote:

I don't know the SU-V460 but it looks better on paper than your current one. Anyone know if its better than a Pioneer A400, they were very well rated a few years ago. 

As for your turntable do NOT stack it on top of your amp that will not be a good idea, best to buy a wall shelf for it if you can.

That Technics is no match for the Pioneer A400. Not even close. 

 

Thanks for the tips on the Pioneer - after a bit of researching it does seem like a highly regarded amp, but there's a lot of chatter about it having a weak phono stage, being a little on the thin sounding side and being very toppy. Is this a good amp to use solely with a vinyl player considering?

 

The A400 (which I still own) is bright, musical and punchy. Its best partnered with boring, dark and flatt speakers (for example Mission). The MM phono is decent and the MC not so much. 

The one you want is the Tom Evans official modded version, the A400 GTE.

Garett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 15/10/2013 - 12:17
Posts: 32
RE: incorrectly matched Ohms?

I'd personally change the amp first and would be looking at something like the Marantz PM6010 OSE or a Rotel as they generally have decent phono stages. I picked up my Rotel RA-02 off gumtree for £80 so there are bargains to be had.

ifor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 03/12/2002 - 11:54
Posts: 1002
RE: incorrectly matched Ohms?

Amp, TT then Speakers gets my vote.

"Inspired" Manticore Mantra TT, Technics SL-7 TT, Graham Slee Reflex M phono preamp.  Cyrus CD8SE.  iMac, Raspberry Pi c/w HiFiBerry Digi c/w Volumio or Rune Audio, Arcam rDAC.  Roksan Kandy LIII amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3812
RE: incorrectly matched Ohms?

estidog wrote:

BigH wrote:

As for your turntable do NOT stack it on top of your amp that will not be a good idea, best to buy a wall shelf for it if you can.

Is it possible to stack a vinyl player on an amp if there are some sort of spacers in between to let heat dissipate?

 

Its possible but not recommended, you want the TT on a stable level platform ideally isolated from vibrations. 

As for phono  stage you can always buy one if the amp does not have one or is not so good, cost about £50-£80 new for Project or Rega.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3832
RE: incorrectly matched Ohms?

Love this thread, just bout every bit of advice contradicts every other bit of advice. Magic.

You have a vinyl playback system that works, after a fashion. 

1st step, buy the best record player you can afford, not only will it sound better but it will look after your vinyl too. Support it correctly, either a separate table or, probably better, a wall shelf.

2nd step, replace the amplifier, save up until you can afford something that will really make a difference.

3rd step, new speakers, to you choice of course but if you like floorstanders and have the room, start out with a pair of 2050is.

4th step, stop worrying about 'ohms', at this level you will have to be monumentally unlucky to screw this up.

 

On the other hand you can just buy stuff at random and hope that something sounds better and to your taste.

Good luck with that.

ifor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 03/12/2002 - 11:54
Posts: 1002
RE: incorrectly matched Ohms?

I don't disagree with that.  Just leave the speakers to the end. He'll end up with much better speakers than if starting with a budget speaker.

"Inspired" Manticore Mantra TT, Technics SL-7 TT, Graham Slee Reflex M phono preamp.  Cyrus CD8SE.  iMac, Raspberry Pi c/w HiFiBerry Digi c/w Volumio or Rune Audio, Arcam rDAC.  Roksan Kandy LIII amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

TrevC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 12/06/2013 - 10:07
Posts: 765
RE: incorrectly matched Ohms?

davedotco wrote:

Love this thread, just bout every bit of advice contradicts every other bit of advice. Magic.

You have a vinyl playback system that works, after a fashion. 

1st step, buy the best record player you can afford, not only will it sound better but it will look after your vinyl too. Support it correctly, either a separate table or, probably better, a wall shelf.

2nd step, replace the amplifier, save up until you can afford something that will really make a difference.

3rd step, new speakers, to you choice of course but if you like floorstanders and have the room, start out with a pair of 2050is.

4th step, stop worrying about 'ohms', at this level you will have to be monumentally unlucky to screw this up.

 

On the other hand you can just buy stuff at random and hope that something sounds better and to your taste.

Good luck with that.

Agreed, except it's always speakers and positioning first, because they will make the most dramatic impact on overall sound quality. That's if he doesn't like the overall sound now. 

 

 

 

TrevC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 12/06/2013 - 10:07
Posts: 765
RE: The A400 was very good in its

Al ears wrote:
The A400 was about average in its day. Can I ask how much you want to spend on a new amp?

 

Corrected.

TrevC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 12/06/2013 - 10:07
Posts: 765
RE: incorrectly matched Ohms?

ifor wrote:

I don't disagree with that.  Just leave the speakers to the end. He'll end up with much better speakers than if starting with a budget speaker.

Or buy some decent speakers first, which is the correct advice.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments