70 posts / 0 new
Last post
plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16224
RE: Dynavector 10x5

stevebrock wrote:

Someone has loaned me a Dynavector 10x5 to try.........

Fitting was very straigtforward, a little bit of tweaking the tracking weight & bias and a quick phone call has seen me right. Running it at 2.0g (recommended 1.8-2.2g) Bias 1.0

Initial impressions are what I hoped - totally different to the Exact

A very open, transparent presentaion, more air around individual instruments - not a hint of brightness

Bass a little tauter

All in all very enjoyable, got the house to myself so going to go through a 'few' records

Love it!

 

Sounds really good....

What are you using to convert the Rega phono stage into a moving coil?

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 15859
RE: Dynavector 10x5

plastic penguin wrote:

What are you using to convert the Rega phono stage into a moving coil?

It's a high output MC.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16224
RE: Dynavector 10x5

chebby wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

What are you using to convert the Rega phono stage into a moving coil?

It's a high output MC.

Never heard of that before. Are most MC high output?

Does that mean the cart has extraordinarily high MVs?

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 05/09/2008 - 17:39
Posts: 2755
RE: Dynavector 10x5

plastic penguin wrote:

Never heard of that before. Are most MC high output?

Does that mean the cart has extraordinarily high MVs?

Nope a fair few coils have stupidly low outputs. A high output coil generaly is 2.5mv so you bolt into the MM phono et voila !.

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 48 min ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 1946
RE: Thanks to Floyd Droid - Dynavector 10x5

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CJSF wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CJSF wrote:

stevebrock wrote:

Quote:

So keep the brio and get a new cart?

Amp on the back burner for minute

I have also gone back to copper speaker cable too, so much nicer sounding over Rumour (silver plate)


 

You be carfull what you say Steve, 'prefering copper cable' is herecy on here mate . . . :read:

CJSF

No it is NOT!!!  :roll:

I've state some times that in my system didn't like silver cables, to bright! My Supra are cooper with tin bath and love them.  Wink

You have to draw a line some where, and Steve is drawing his...

 

:cheers:

They will be after you as well HiFi Outlaw . . .  herecy and treason, lock you up in the Tower and throw away the key, off with his head!!! :read:

or is that 'tin bath' every Friday night in front of the fire 'love them' . . .  ROFL

CJSF

I didn't quite got that bit...  :?

 

:cheers:

You are obviously not old enough HiFi Outlaw, to remember 'bath nigh, tin bath in front of the fire' . . .  Wink

CJSF

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 48 min ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 1946
RE: Dynavector 10x5

Just an aside . . . sitting at the drawing board, drafting out the revised plinth for my P5, I have a smile on my face . . .   :type:

CJSF

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2008
RE: Thanks to Floyd Droid - Dynavector 10x5

CJSF wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CJSF wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CJSF wrote:

stevebrock wrote:

Quote:

So keep the brio and get a new cart?

Amp on the back burner for minute

I have also gone back to copper speaker cable too, so much nicer sounding over Rumour (silver plate)


 

You be carfull what you say Steve, 'prefering copper cable' is herecy on here mate . . . :read:

CJSF

No it is NOT!!!  :roll:

I've state some times that in my system didn't like silver cables, to bright! My Supra are cooper with tin bath and love them.  Wink

You have to draw a line some where, and Steve is drawing his...

 

:cheers:

They will be after you as well HiFi Outlaw . . .  herecy and treason, lock you up in the Tower and throw away the key, off with his head!!! :read:

or is that 'tin bath' every Friday night in front of the fire 'love them' . . .  ROFL

CJSF

I didn't quite got that bit...  :?

 

:cheers:

You are obviously not old enough HiFi Outlaw, to remember 'bath nigh, tin bath in front of the fire' . . .  Wink

CJSF

No I'm not... ROFL :rofl: ROFL

 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 15859
RE: Thanks to Floyd Droid - Dynavector 10x5

CJSF wrote:

You are obviously not old enough HiFi Outlaw, to remember 'bath nigh, tin bath in front of the fire' . . .  Wink

CJSF

Thats because most of us Angel had plumbing and bathrooms in our homes (b) didn't live in a colliery village or a D.H. Lawrence novel (c) weren't one of the 'Four Yorkshiremen' from the Monty Python sketch.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16224
RE: Dynavector 10x5

floyd droid wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Never heard of that before. Are most MC high output?

Does that mean the cart has extraordinarily high MVs?

Nope a fair few coils have stupidly low outputs. A high output coil generaly is 2.5mv so you bolt into the MM phono et voila !.

I seem to remember the first cart I ever bought. It was Shure M55E and I'm pretty sure it was 5.0 MV. It had colossal volume.

So how would the Dynavector sound differ if connected with a dedicated MC phono stage?

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 15859
RE: Dynavector 10x5

"Ee pet, if yuzz pour oos a steamin' hot Horlicks bath a'll show yuzz wharra got when the Rega arm height is dropped another millimetre ..."

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16224
RE: Dynavector 10x5

chebby wrote:

"Ee pet, if yuzz pour oos a steamin' hot Horlicks bath a'll show yuzz wharra got when the Rega arm height is dropped another millimetre ..."

Ee oop,  mugabe

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 05/09/2008 - 17:39
Posts: 2755
RE: Dynavector 10x5

plastic penguin wrote:

So how would the Dynavector sound differ if connected with a dedicated MC phono stage?

Depends on the gain. prolly sound pretty good on a low gain. But I suspect if you ramp the gain up it will blow yer lugholes into orbit at the same vol level. 

Will sound distorted if tis overloaded by too much gain . Depends on the phono if its a fixed gain mc , they can differ by quite a bit. Obviously if you can adjust the gain then the worlds yer lobster.

 

Summat like that anyways.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16224
RE: Dynavector 10x5

floyd droid wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

So how would the Dynavector sound differ if connected with a dedicated MC phono stage?

Depends on the gain. prolly sound pretty good on a low gain. But I suspect if you ramp the gain up it will blow yer lugholes into orbit at the same vol level. 

Will sound distorted if tis overloaded by too much gain . Depends on the phono if its a fixed gain mc , they can differ by quite a bit. Obviously if you can adjust the gain then the worlds yer lobster.

 

Summat like that anyways.

Interesting. Thanks Floydie.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 05/09/2008 - 17:39
Posts: 2755
RE: Dynavector 10x5

Ok ,back to reading the draft for my new book. Titled. 

I thought my nose was bleeding but its not. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Geddit ?.

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 48 min ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 1946
RE: Thanks to Floyd Droid - Dynavector 10x5

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CJSF wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CJSF wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

CJSF wrote:

stevebrock wrote:

Quote:

So keep the brio and get a new cart?

Amp on the back burner for minute

I have also gone back to copper speaker cable too, so much nicer sounding over Rumour (silver plate)


 

You be carfull what you say Steve, 'prefering copper cable' is herecy on here mate . . . :read:

CJSF

No it is NOT!!!  :roll:

I've state some times that in my system didn't like silver cables, to bright! My Supra are cooper with tin bath and love them.  Wink

You have to draw a line some where, and Steve is drawing his...

 

:cheers:

They will be after you as well HiFi Outlaw . . .  herecy and treason, lock you up in the Tower and throw away the key, off with his head!!! :read:

or is that 'tin bath' every Friday night in front of the fire 'love them' . . .  ROFL

CJSF

I didn't quite got that bit...  :?

 

:cheers:

You are obviously not old enough HiFi Outlaw, to remember 'bath nigh, tin bath in front of the fire' . . .  Wink

CJSF

No I'm not... ROFL :rofl: ROFL

 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

 

HiFi Outlaw, Yep, I'm old enough to remember those bad old days.  We lived in a two up two down cottage, thunder box in the garden and wash house with a wood fired copper boiler, mangle and dolly stick. a cold tap outside the back door that my dad took through into the scullery, he fitter an electric water geezer.  It was not untill 1957 we moved into a house with all 'mod cons'??? and a back boiler in the open fire to heat water!  How life has changed . . . 

CJSF

Pages

Log in or register to post comments