9 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 43 min ago
Joined: 04/09/2013 - 14:19
Posts: 51595
Desktop Amp

Ok, guys, I'd appreciate some help if you wouldn't mind.

I'm looking to get a fairly decent 2.0 setup for my computer. I'll be honest I'm not an expert on this but with my current knowledge and budget I'm doing the best I can. So far I've decided I'll probably get a pair of wharfedale diamond 9.0 speakers, I would like 9.1s but unfortunately they're a bit more than I'd like to spend. So that part is sorted, cables shouldn't be an issue which leaves the amp. As it will be for my computer and it's fairly likely I'll have to move it around at least twice a year in a car filled with lots of other stuff I ideally would like it to be fairly compact, and since I'm on a budget I'll also be buying second hand. Can anyone help me out? I would like to use an optical spdif between my computer and the amp if possible but if need be I'm sure I'll use a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable. I've got no definite figure on the amp as I'm not sure what quality I can get for what figure but as little as possible would be ideal, as long as it can power the speakers so that they produce a reasonable volume and sound quality I'll be perfectly happy.

Other than that I'm not sure what else to tell you. Of course, if you have any other suggestions about the speakers, or what have you, feel free to mention it but otherwise thank you in advance.

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 15855
RE: Desktop Amp

If you put your amp and speaker budget together, you might be able to look at these...

http://www.kef.com/html/gb/showroom/digital_music_solutions/x300a/fact_sheets/X300A_group/X300A/index.html

Active amplification built-in and 24 bit / 96khz USB input. (Analogue 3.5mm input too.)

You won't need a seperate DAC either.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Desktop Amp

chebby wrote:

If you put your amp and speaker budget together, you might be able to look at these...

http://www.kef.com/html/gb/showroom/digital_music_solutions/x300a/fact_sheets/X300A_group/X300A/index.html

Active amplification built-in and 24 bit / 96khz USB input. (Analogue 3.5mm input too.)

You won't need a seperate DAC either.

Appreciate the response but £600? I'm a student, I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem for most of you on here(I haven't browsed much but I'm sure you're all very serious about your hifi equipment and have the income to pay for it), but that's way above my budget. If I thought I could get away with it I'd set a budget at £20 but somehow I don't think that'll be enough. My Dad did suggest amps such as http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-PMA-250SE-Phono-Integrated-Amplifier-/160945405981 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-PMA-255UK-Integrated-Amplifier-/221169407053 and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-AVR-1800-Reciever-Speaker-4-Stands-/130822922770 but as I said they do seem a little big. I'm not looking for anything complicated, just something I can plug the speakers into and have them up and running with no further need to fuss.

fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 2934
RE: Desktop Amp

Behringer ms40s

http://www.studiospares.com/studio-monitors/behringer-ms40-monitors-pair/invt/380140/

 

Would be ideal in your situation...takes a digital signal from your computer. If you don't have one already you can pick up the relevant soundcard for around a tenner.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Desktop Amp

fr0g wrote:

Behringer ms40s

http://www.studiospares.com/studio-monitors/behringer-ms40-monitors-pair/invt/380140/

 

Would be ideal in your situation...takes a digital signal from your computer. If you don't have one already you can pick up the relevant soundcard for around a tenner.

Definitely seem like an option. I'll bear them in mind. For the mean time, I've been suggested this as an amp and would welcome a second opinion. It also seems like a great option to me so I'll def consider it. What do you mean by relevant soundcard? My motherboard has an optical on the rear i/o so that's not an issue.

fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 2934
RE: Desktop Amp

alexs2602 wrote:

fr0g wrote:

Behringer ms40s

http://www.studiospares.com/studio-monitors/behringer-ms40-monitors-pair/invt/380140/

 

Would be ideal in your situation...takes a digital signal from your computer. If you don't have one already you can pick up the relevant soundcard for around a tenner.

Definitely seem like an option. I'll bear them in mind. For the mean time, I've been suggested this as an amp and would welcome a second opinion. It also seems like a great option to me so I'll def consider it. What do you mean by relevant soundcard? My motherboard has an optical on the rear i/o so that's not an issue.

Indeed. Many soundcards or PCs with only inbuilt sound don't have this.

As for the amp, I don't know that one, but I had a Bantam T-amp, which was very nice paired with some MS902 speakers, but bear in mind they won't go very loud before distortion sets in. It will probably be fine if you keep the levels down.

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12686
RE: Desktop Amp

I was looking at these yesterday:

http://shop.xtz.se/dsp/a-800

I remember Jaxwired posting a YouTube video of his iPod system with Dayton Audio DTA-100a:

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/dta-100a-class-t-digital-amplifier-50-wpc.html

Here's the thread & link to YouTube video:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/ipod-system-for-the-bedroomcheck-out-the-vid

Not expensive either:

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-DTA-100a-Class-T-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B004JK8BDK

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Desktop Amp

bigboss wrote:
I was looking at these yesterday: http://shop.xtz.se/dsp/a-800 I remember Jaxwired posting a YouTube video of his iPod system with Dayton Audio DTA-100a: http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/dta-100a-class-t-digital-amplifier-50-wpc.html Here's the thread & link to YouTube video: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/ipod-system-for-the-bedroomcheck-out-the-vid Not expensive either: http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-DTA-100a-Class-T-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B004JK8BDK
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately dayton products do not seem to be widely available over heres so will not be able to get them. I found the info useful but have now ordered/are going to buy the equipment for my set up.
BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3518
RE: Desktop Amp

I posted a similar question but about active speakers I think that is the way to go, Bose do some for about £90. Bose Companion 2 II Multimedia Speaker System.

This is in respose to my question and improving computer sound: "the compact Frankenspiel FS-1, or if you can up the budget we really like the  Focal XS Books, although they are on the large side. The  B&W MM-1s are also worth looking at if you can find them at a discount."

 

Not sure if that helps.

Log in or register to post comments