26 posts / 0 new
Last post
chebby's picture
Sony BDP-S390
English

I love my Sony BDP-S370. In (almost) two years it has never let me down. It is the most reliable DVD/BD player I have ever owned and it is still going strong. It only cost me £99.

But I am a shallow so-and-so when it comes to what stuff looks like, and the S370 is wider, thinner and shallower (back to front) than my new Humax HDR-Fox T2.

It looks a bit of a 'train wreck' when they are stacked together.

The new Sony BDP-S390 almost matches the Humax in all dimensions and looks nicer than the S370. This appeals to me.

However, I see no S390 reviews anywhere (except a couple on Amazon).

No hurry. (I'll wait until Tesco sell them for £99 like I did with the old one probably.)

Anyone got one yet?

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Clare Newsome's picture
RE: Sony BDP-S390

I'm due to get one for review next week; sure the WHF team will therefore have theirs lined up for test too

Group Marketing & PR Manager, Computers Unlimited.

Brands represented include Astell&Kern, Audioengine, B&O Play, Canton, Flexson for SONOS and SONOS

TWITTER: @ClareNewsome

chebby's picture

Thanks Clare.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Juzzie Wuzzie's picture

Ditto on the 370 - although haven't watched a BR in ages (thanks Apple TV) but makes a damn fine DVD player as well.  S185 was tempting, but that would be a change for change's sake!

chebby's picture

Clare Newsome wrote:
I'm due to get one for review next week; sure the WHF team will therefore have theirs lined up for test too

Any news?

I only want to know whether it's a 'duffer' or a 'good'un' or a 'hmmm...'  (not the detailed review) at this stage.

cinemafan's picture

Is the BDP-S390 a region free player, which is one of the feaures what I want out of a blu-ray player. I also have the S370, which is very good.

chebby's picture

Just bought the BDP-S390.

Will connect it tomorrow morning once I have noted all of the relevant settings from my S370.

bigboss's picture

cinemafan wrote:

Is the BDP-S390 a region free player, which is one of the feaures what I want out of a blu-ray player. I also have the S370, which is very good.

By region free, do you mean multiregion for DVDs only, or blu rays too? The player will not be multiregion for DVDs out of the box, unless bought from retailers like Richer Sounds who will specifically advertise it as one. It is possible to make the player multiregion for DVDs via a remote hack.

To make it multizone for blu rays generally requires a hardware mod which is quite expensive. Only a few players can be made multizone this way.

chebby's picture

Well, Sony UK have already dropped one!

I have registered my product (on the Sony UK website) and there is no English language manual to download. (Everyone else's language of course.)

Clare Newsome's picture

I found it so simple that I can't imagine much need for a manual. Anything I can help you with?

Brands represented include Astell&Kern, Audioengine, B&O Play, Canton, Flexson for SONOS and SONOS

chebby's picture

No thanks Clare.

I just like to download manuals and file them in my 'Manuals' folder for reference. (Just in case.)

I'll connect it up in the morning and ensure it gets the latest (26/3/2012) firmware.

chebby's picture

Clare Newsome wrote:
I found it so simple...

Just realised that means you have reviewed one. (Or bought one.)

Whilst mine is still sealed in it's box (with bag and receipt etc.) can you tell me before tomorrow morning if it's really bad?  Smile

You don't need to give anything else away. Just  "refund" or "keep" will do.

Clare Newsome's picture

Keep it  Smile

chebby's picture

Phew!

BenLaw's picture

Just download the Macedonian manual instead.

chebby's picture

Јас не сум Александар Велики

Pages