376 posts / 0 new
Last post
David@FrankHarvey's picture
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Playe Gets 3 Stars!

I doubt anyone will be looking to fail a Bluray player on technical issues if the TV isn't calibrated, so I don't think that this is a better review for the majority.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

ellisdj's picture
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

David - I think you has mis read ym meaning there - the calibration was aimed at WHF reviews.

The the review pasted from is based purely on the players merits at passing specific test - however I find his conclusion sums up the situation very well - however given what he has said 3 stars does seem harsh

I havent read the WHF review yet - I hasnt put me off the player - It has made me want to demo it even more actually to make my own mind up - against what I have on my calibrated TV Smile

Meridian 861 V4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST - GIK Acoustics

Monitor Audio PL100, GXC 150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA

Custom Audio PC LPSU + Batts, JPLAY, JCAT and PPA Studio

Panny 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, Graham Slee Cables, Isotek, XLO

gel's picture

ellisdj wrote:

David - I think you has mis read ym meaning there - the calibration was aimed at WHF reviews.

The the review pasted from is based purely on the players merits at passing specific test - however I find his conclusion sums up the situation very well - however given what he has said 3 stars does seem harsh

I havent read the WHF review yet - I hasnt put me off the player - It has made me want to demo it even more actually to make my own mind up - against what I have on my calibrated TV Smile

Well according to David you are going to have to change the Oppo picture settings to get a good picture from it to start with!   Smile

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

David@FrankHarvey's picture

gel wrote:
Well according to David you are going to have to change the Oppo picture settings to get a good picture from it to start with!   Smile

Not really, but you can get an even better picture by playing about with the settings that are available on the player.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

The_Lhc's picture

woollyjoe wrote:
For once, I am an expert on this thread

Oh my friend, I think you'll find we're ALL experts on every thread!

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I think what seperates the experts from the hobbyists is whether people pay for your advice!

FYI - somone mentioned it already - I'm going to have to demo this player now.

richardw42's picture

Just a thought. I wonder if WHF have made some changes to their scoring. There's less 5 stars given out in latest edition than you normally get. Tbh I was getting a bit cheesed off the way 5 stars were getting chucked about. 

Viewed in isolation 3 stars is better than average. One might have expected its functionality to give it a bigger push though. 

There are still anomalies though, like the Arcam amp. I think that in 2013 a £650 product needs to offer more especially with cheaper amps giving a DAC or even more. 

The_Lhc's picture

woollyjoe wrote:
I think what seperates the experts from the hobbyists is whether people pay for your advice!

Only in the real world...

GSB's picture

I was very suprised on hearing the 3stars awarded becouse of the fact that the 2dealers i had spoke too realy rated it.The one thing i learned was that,in their opinion, the picture quality was better than the 93 on a projector,if you looked realy hard!!

Great thread by the way...will there be a fight soon..... :shifty:

duaplex's picture

I have never seen so many people upset over one review. The player doesn't suddenly become useless as a result of the rating.

Ian986's picture

Slightly off topic but,

I went and had a demo today and seemed good not blown away I will proberly get one and try at home.

Just had one question I tried to conect My i phone to the oppo and just said error ? has anyone managed this ?

manicm's picture

I've read the review and would say it's very fair. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and indeed all the hifi rags have their own. To say WHF have been unfair towards Oppo is rubbish - did they not give the 95 five stars??

So onto the review - the appraised the CD replay as average, and picture quality as no better than cheaper decks. And it has a lot of features - but how many will one use now? Not the 4k upscaling that's for sure. And I politely disagree with bigboss about Blu-ray video equivalence across brands. Noise is my bugbear and I've found subtle improvements from Sony 360 to 370, and onto my CA-751BD. Also the Marvel/Mediatek Odeo decoders and scalers are now ubiquitous across makes like CA/Oppo/Onkyo. And I strongly suspect that the Anchor Bay video DACs found in the Denon's and Marantz's are superior in sheer picture quality.

In which case WHF are to be trusted then I'd rather put my money on a Denon 2012 - no question about it even if it's an older model.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt the picture quality in the Oppo 105/CA 752 would be any better than the 95/751BD. And right now, right here, unless you have serious moola to burn, I would also politely disagree with David when I say that 4k upscaling is by and large a red herring. Especially in a few years when 4k display prices will undoubtedly fall yet Sharp at CES have demonstrated 8k technology. 3D has been missed and gone, and 4k may very well go the same way. It's Betamax stuff.

jcshutts's picture

Given all the debate and without wishing to appear easily led..... I need an option of a Blu ray with onboard HD decoding that will send analogue 7.1 to my amp.  Whilst the debates rage on around Oppo and I find a store which will allow me a test, are there any alternatives out there please????

FennerMachine's picture

There are a few players with 7.1 analogue outputs.

Panasonic DMP-BDT500

Cambridge Audio 651BD

Oppo 103

These are a few I found after a quick check, there will be others.

If you need 7.1 analogue outputs then probably worth a demo as the audio being analogue outputs they could/will be massively different from each other.

jcshutts's picture

Smile  thanks

Pages