73 posts / 0 new
Last post
gel's picture
My Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Review

Hi

Just got it this morning and have played around 7 Blu-rays now and I have to say it is very good!  I am very happy now.  Picture and sound is great.  The operation is quick and quiet and everthing works well.  Success at last!  DVDs look great too.  Smile  I have got myself a keeper.  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

gel's picture
RE: My Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Review

Oh yeah I forgot to say I purchased it from Frank Harvey and got fantastic service from David too - thanks!   Smile

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

David@FrankHarvey's picture

No problem gel Smile

I find the sharpness control works really well (although I am viewing on a projector). It makes clean looking films look pin sharp, although it does exaggerate the noise slightly on slightly on grainy/badly mastered/shot movies. Worth a try - you might like it.

Also, have a look in the picture settings for 'contrast enhancement', as it does bring out detail in darker areas, and seems to improve contrast ratio too. Works a charm on my (admittedly 4 year old) projector. May be of less benefit with a plasma though.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

gel's picture

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

No problem gel Smile

I find the sharpness control works really well (although I am viewing on a projector). It makes clean looking films look pin sharp, although it does exaggerate the noise slightly on slightly on grainy/badly mastered/shot movies. Worth a try - you might like it.

Also, have a look in the picture settings for 'contrast enhancement', as it does bring out detail in darker areas, and seems to improve contrast ratio too. Works a charm on my (admittedly 4 year old) projector. May be of less benefit with a plasma though.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate that.  I will have a look at it.  Just put it on bitstream and 36-bit so far, and changed the TV aspect ratio, so it was not auto.  Everything is working great.  I like the way it comes packaged too - a touch of class!  The manual is good and clear to read too and the remote control is really nice.  

Cheers.

David@FrankHarvey's picture

Packaging and presentation is excellent - I think almost every manufacturer could take a leaf out of their book in this respect!

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

bigboss's picture

Brilliant!! Success at last!!! :cheers:

bigboss's picture

How does it compare with the Marantz?

gel's picture

bigboss wrote:
Brilliant!! Success at last!!! :cheers:

Cheers BB.   Smile

gel's picture

bigboss wrote:
How does it compare with the Marantz?

I think it is similar in a lot of ways but I do prefer the Oppo.  Overall I think the picture is a little better on the Oppo.  I definitely prefer it.  I thought the Marantz had a bit of a cheap feel to it when powering up because two lines would come across the screen and I didn't like that!  The Marantz was not bad or anything but I just prefer this.

Juzzie Wuzzie's picture

Seconds on what Gel has said about the Oppo 103 / Frank Harvey.

gel's picture

Just watching Transformers at the moment, the picture is fantastic!

richardw42's picture

Good to hear such a positive review of the 103. 

I'll be doing a 5.1/6.1 soon, with active speakers and the 103/105 is definitely on my mind. 

I currently have a Sony BDP & Yamaha AVR set aside for this, but the Oppo would reduce the box count. 

gel's picture

richardw42 wrote:

Good to hear such a positive review of the 103. 

I'll be doing a 5.1/6.1 soon, with active speakers and the 103/105 is definitely on my mind. 

I currently have a Sony BDP & Yamaha AVR set aside for this, but the Oppo would reduce the box count. 

This is a cracking player, I thoroughly recommend it.  Blacks are really black, bright colours are really bright and motion is really good.  I am really enjoying this one.   Smile

Juzzie Wuzzie's picture

Richard - I was considering doing that, but not convinced the 103 is up to the task of being a processor. Really only one HDMI input and not the best switching functionality. Perhaps I was just setting it up wrong and Dave from FH might disagree as such.

richardw42's picture

Juzzie Wuzzie wrote:

Richard - I was considering doing that, but not convinced the 103 is up to the task of being a processor. Really only one HDMI input and not the best switching functionality. Perhaps I was just setting it up wrong and Dave from FH might disagree as such.

it would certainly be great to hear actual experience using it as a processor. I'd also intend to use the input n the back, and maybe the one on the front. 

My thinking is just theory at the mo Smile

CnoEvil's picture

Happy Days!  :bounce:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Pages