28 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
Van Den Hul D102 III Hybrid - FAKE OR NOT??????????

please advice...
Recently I purchased RCA Interconnect cables Van Den Hul D102 III Hybrid (0.5m).
Cables has been purchased from eBay as a new and got issues that cables are fake.
eBay seller is from the UK.

Cables are very light and thin. RCA connectors are different then on the pictures form Internet. Very poor soldering and sign is coming off when you rub it. No packaging at all.

Pictures on click:

simag0257.jpg
simag0259.jpg
simag0260.jpg
simag0261.jpg
simag0262.jpg
simag0263.jpg
simag0264.jpg
simag0265.jpg
simag0266.jpg
simag0267.jpg

simag0268.jpg

So what do you think? are they FAKE OR NOT?

What should I do now? contact Ebay? seller? distributor of manufacturer?

Thank you for your answers

Martin

Frank Harvey's picture
Re: Van Den Hul D102 III Hybrid - FAKE??????????

Most VDH cables come in quite a bit of packaging - they sit in a moulded plastic section, inside a box, and that sits inside a clear plastic box, which is sealed both ends with a VDH sticker to show they've never been opened before.

Judging by your pictures they look genuine - the printing can come off cables when rubbed hard enough (usually takes a while under normal use) - but if they're sold as brand new untouched, the lack of box would be my main concern.

Frank Harvey Hi-Fi Excellence

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

RCA connectors are totally different from the original, cables are very light and very poor soldering.

Cables are also totally different, if you check on the Internet.

Writing come off after a hold them in my hand!!!!!

Frank Harvey's picture

That's not right - return them.

And report them.

Messiah's picture
Re: Van Den Hul D102 III Hybrid - FAKE OR NOT??????????
Teti:

Cables are very light and thin. RCA connectors are different then on the pictures form Internet. Very poor soldering and sign is coming off when you rub it. No packaging at all.

Ah, but how do they sound???

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

They sound worse than the original RCA which a get with my record player Sad awful

ESP2009's picture

The problem is that there seems to be an increasing number of overseas suppliers (not just of hi-fi) who are using the UK as a sales point.  There is obviously a loophole that allows them to register an address, even if it is the equivalent of a PO Box or a small warehouse of goods.

I have been on Fleabay a few times looking at hi-fi or photographic goods and it is quite obvious that the site is just a toe-hold for sales purposes.  Quite often the English used in key areas of text betrays them: weaker grammar than normal, wrong use of tense and such.  I usually move on pretty quickly after seeing the tell-tale signs.  OK, it's not always that easy.

By the way, I was recently looking at sets of Chord Odyssey jumper cables at under £15 a set - from Lithuania.  Hmmm, move along, nothing of interest to see here...

idc
idc's picture

I would say fake as since when did Van Den Hul start using cheap Neutrik Rean phonos with their interconnects?

Spotify - Firestone Fubar DAC &  PSU - Musical Fidelity X-CAN V8P - lots of headphones.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
idc: I would say fake as since when did Van Den Hul start using cheap Neutrik Rean phonos with their interconnects?

Definitely fake, I sent it to the distributor, so they should tell me more.

idc
idc's picture

Was it this seller, who claims their cables are 100% genuine Van Den Hul (but have Rean phonos) and a nice line in What Hifi endorsements!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAN-DEN-HUL-D102-MKIII-50CM-HI-END-INTERCONNECT-CABLES-/260614475843?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3cadd55043#ht_8017wt_1137

Spotify - Firestone Fubar DAC &  PSU - Musical Fidelity X-CAN V8P - lots of headphones.

Frank Harvey's picture

Mr V. Perera, 9 Roxwell Road, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 2LY, United Kingdom.

Brave  Smile

idc
idc's picture
Teti:
idc: I would say fake as since when did Van Den Hul start using cheap Neutrik Rean phonos with their interconnects?

Definitely fake, I sent it to the distributor, so they should tell me more.

I would also report the sale to ebay as fakes, siting the use of Rean phonos as proof. If you look up VDH on the internet you see they use their own VDH marked phonos, which you cannot get elsewhere. But you can buy the cable separately. 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
idc:

Was it this seller, who claims their cables are 100% genuine Van Den Hul (but have Rean phonos) and a nice line in What Hifi endorsements!!!!

ÿ

ÿhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAN-DEN-HUL-D102-MKIII-50CM-HI-END-INTERCONNECT-CABLES-/260614475843?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3cadd55043#ht_8017wt_1137

ÿ

Yeah, positive, it is him. Naughty Smile

idc
idc's picture

I see how that seller is going to try and get round this: VDH site Neutrik phonos as suitable to use with their cable

http://www.vandenhul.com/p_B09.aspx

see the specs at the bottom of the page. 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Hi

I've owned these phonos since they won an award in What Hi Fi in 2000. They are a stunning set on phonos and will deliver and excellent sound straght from the box.

The colours rights, the grounding sticker is right and the type font is correct but the phonos are all wrong (see picture attached). Lastly and most obvious is the price - 10%, 15% or even 20& off RRP isn't over the top for inrternet sellers but  less than 50%???

IIf i sounds to good it probably is. I paid £80 for a 60 cm pair ten years ago

Vance

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Pages