25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thetelecaster's picture
Second hand amps upto £700

Looking for  an integrated amp in this price point. I run an m-dac into an audiolab 8200p and I'd swap the amp for an intergrated. So I'm looking for ideas intergrated or valve if it's possible.

insider9's picture
What speakers are you using?

What speakers are you using? What music do you listen to? Is there anything you don't like about your current setup? Is there anything in particular you want to improve?

Thetelecaster's picture
B&w 685 S1 speakers. I'm

B&w 685 S1 speakers. I'm going to change the speakers too. I want an intergrated to give me the option of an analogue sorce. Never been unhappy so to speak, just a change of direction.

Thetelecaster's picture
Music wise I can go from John

Music wise I can go from John Coltrane to slipknot

insider9's picture
My suggestion would be to

My suggestion would be to change the speakers first and then get an amp that can drive them.

If you buy an amp first you will be restricting your choice of speakers. Especially if you go with valves.

insider9's picture

Thetelecaster wrote:

Music wise I can go from John Coltrane to slipknot

Excellent taste Smile
Mark Rose-Smith's picture
Naim nait xs 1st gen can be

Naim nait xs 1st gen can be had for that kind of cash (used)if you wait for the right moment.....it's a cracking amp that will drive any speakers in that price range....you might never need another.

Naim superuniti,naim Cd5i Italic,pmc twenty 21 speakers.synology 6tb ds216j nas/plex server.

Thetelecaster's picture
Aren't naim quirky connection

Aren't naim quirky connection wise

Mark Rose-Smith's picture
No.not these days.

No.not these days.

Naim superuniti,naim Cd5i Italic,pmc twenty 21 speakers.synology 6tb ds216j nas/plex server.

drummerman's picture
Mark Rose-Smith wrote:

Mark Rose-Smith wrote:

Naim nait xs 1st gen can be had for that kind of cash (used)if you wait for the right moment.....it's a cracking amp that will drive any speakers in that price range....you might never need another.

Great amplifier.

drummerman's picture
You may be able to get a s/h

You may be able to get a s/h Icon Audio amp. Decently powerful for valve amps and good looking imho.

Having said that, the aforementioned Naim is superb.

No problem to have either serviced in the future if need arises.

As a Cyrus user I'm bound to suggest their products too.

Great sound and reliable. Upgradeable (8 series and above) and again, serviceable. Fuller and more fluid sounding than Audiolab.

Not often mentioned ... Densen. Head over to YouTube and although not the ultimate in comparison ... You probably hear how they sound, fantastic. Looks is Scandinavian minimalism, sleek and slim.

A guy on here bought a s/h one recently and loves it.

Good luck Smile

chebby's picture
drummerman wrote:

drummerman wrote:

Mark Rose-Smith wrote:

Great amplifier.

2009 Nait XS here ...

http://tomtomaudioshop.com/latest-pre-loved-stock-23-w.asp

iPad Mini 3 • iPhone 7 • B&W P3 • Mac Mini • Apple TV3 • Marantz M-CR611 and M-CR603 • Pro-ject Tuner Box S • Audio-Note AX-Two • JPW Sonatas • Quad Vena

drummerman's picture
chebby wrote:

chebby wrote:

drummerman wrote:

Mark Rose-Smith wrote:

Great amplifier.

2009 Nait XS here ...

Expensive. Seen them go for around £700 a few times.

insider9's picture

drummerman wrote:

You may be able to get a s/h Icon Audio amp. Decently powerful for valve amps and good looking imho.

Having said that, the aforementioned Naim is superb.

No problem to have either serviced in the future if need arises.

As a Cyrus user I'm bound to suggest their products too.

Great sound and reliable. Upgradeable (8 series and above) and again, serviceable. Fuller and more fluid sounding than Audiolab.

Not often mentioned ... Densen. Head over to YouTube and although not the ultimate in comparison ... You probably hear how they sound, fantastic. Looks is Scandinavian minimalism, sleek and slim.

A guy on here bought a s/h one recently and loves it.

Good luck Smile

Yep, went from Naim and Roksan to Densen. It gave me everything the other two were good at and more.

B-110 will be under budget and at the price is a stunning performer.

chebby's picture
drummerman wrote:

drummerman wrote:

chebby wrote:

drummerman wrote:

Mark Rose-Smith wrote:

Great amplifier.

2009 Nait XS here ...

Expensive. Seen them go for around £700 a few times.

Did those vendors give a no quibble 12 month warranty?

http://tomtomaudioshop.com/why-buy-preloved-from-us-21-w.asp

iPad Mini 3 • iPhone 7 • B&W P3 • Mac Mini • Apple TV3 • Marantz M-CR611 and M-CR603 • Pro-ject Tuner Box S • Audio-Note AX-Two • JPW Sonatas • Quad Vena

insider9's picture
Chebby

Good point. I've bought second hand gear from Elite Audio twice now. They are a dealer and only sell second hand gear when they have trade ins. Both last year (speakers) and this year (amp) where one owner from new. Got 12 months warranty on each purchase.

I know they're not the only ones doing it. Yes, it comes at a slight premium but gives not only piece of mind but also no quibbles return if it really doesn't suit.

I would however point out to do your research first and not mess dealers about by buying and returning gear just because you can. Returns are not there for you to have many free auditions Smile Only return it if it's faulty other than you just don't fancy it or found something better. We need these guys to stay in business and that would only force the prices up.

Pages