16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alberich's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 15/03/2016 - 01:27
Posts: 154
My poor Cyrus.

Warning : rant alert !

Has anyone had a similar frustrating experience or being shown a similar lack of respect when selling any off their kit ? - Recently demonstated a pair of speakers to a potential buyer to show they were in PWO when this ham fisted individual decided to crank my beloved and ageing Cyrus 8vs2 up to 100% max volume. 100% , I kid you not.
And in one fowl single motion of the wrist for good measure !

The speakers being demoed were just a pair of 9.1s so I was genuinely concerned for my amplifier.
I've personally never felt the need to push this amplifier beyond 30% so what sort of metal process taking place in this fella's skull is incomprehensible to me.

I've seen the YouTube uploads of these numbskulls, with all their 'bass tests' and cone moving, which I always found a bit disturbing , but to see one in the flesh , in my own house , disrespecting my own kit like that was a little shocking to me frankly.

Apologies, had to get that off my chest , maybe I should have posted in the agony aunt section lol.

Mark Rose-Smith's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 10 hours ago
Joined: 18/02/2015 - 15:46
Posts: 1176
Some folks just don't have a

Some folks just don't have a clue and are devoid of any mechanical sympathy.I hope you threw him out your abode....without the said speakers.what a tosser!

Naim superuniti,naim Cd5i Italic,pmc twenty 21 speakers.synology 6tb ds216j nas/plex server.

 

 

Alberich's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 15/03/2016 - 01:27
Posts: 154
.

Mark Rose-Smith wrote:

Some folks just don't have a clue and are devoid of any mechanical sympathy.I hope you threw him out your abode....without the said speakers.what a tosser!

I should've done exactly that Mark.
I reached for the remote and turned it down as soon i realised what was unfolding in front of me. From the moment I seen the cones almost wobble out of their cabinets - the speakers belonged to him !
Picked up the amp 5 minutes after and it was worryingly hot.

You live and you learn as they say.
In future, no buyer gets to go anywhere near the volume control on my amplifier. Simple as.

Gazzip's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 15/01/2011 - 22:25
Posts: 1923
A couple of Christmas's ago

A couple of Christmas's ago my 2 year old got hold of my Devialet 800 remote while I was running in my new speakers, and decided to play spin the wheel with it. 2 x 800W unleashed in a second. Time felt like it slowed down as I ran towards her, reaching for the remote. We haven't spoken since.

Innuos Zenith MKII > MiniDSP DDRC-22D > Bricasti M1-SE > Audio Research Ref 6 > Bryston 7B3's > PMC MB2SE's... and a Turntable

drummerman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 18/01/2008 - 21:12
Posts: 8603
Gazzip wrote:

Gazzip wrote:

A couple of Christmas's ago my 2 year old got hold of my Devialet 800 remote while I was running in my new speakers, and decided to play spin the wheel with it. 2 x 800W unleashed in a second. Time felt like it slowed down as I ran towards her, reaching for the remote. We haven't spoken since.

Smile

Vladimir's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 26/12/2013 - 19:17
Posts: 8619
-

What was the song that played at 100% Cyrus watts?

When are people going to give up trying to match speakers to amplifiers? You just have to find a speaker that works well in your listening room. Al ears

Alberich's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 15/03/2016 - 01:27
Posts: 154
..

Vladimir wrote:

What was the song that played at 100% Cyrus watts?

I put on Cecilia Bartolli at first put he requested something a bit more substantial.
Put on a Tool CD then ,10,000 days album. I think it was the first track Vicarious that he cranked.
It caused the woofers to wobble uncontrollably. I'd imagine his tweeters aren't in the best of shape.

Gray's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 27/11/2015 - 00:46
Posts: 567
Horror story

Takes all sorts. Shame you got a visit from a Prick. Sorry to hear it.

G

Mark Rose-Smith's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 10 hours ago
Joined: 18/02/2015 - 15:46
Posts: 1176
10000 days is a fine album

10000 days is a fine album though...lol.and possibly not a victim of the loudness wars....I do prefer Latarelus though....it's superb.hope the wee cyrus is A OK.

Naim superuniti,naim Cd5i Italic,pmc twenty 21 speakers.synology 6tb ds216j nas/plex server.

 

 

Vladimir's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 26/12/2013 - 19:17
Posts: 8619
-

Blasting Tool on those petite speakers. Yikes...

When are people going to give up trying to match speakers to amplifiers? You just have to find a speaker that works well in your listening room. Al ears

Alberich's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 15/03/2016 - 01:27
Posts: 154
..

Appreciate the empathy fellas .
Thankfully the Cyrus seems to have come away from the event relatively unscathed.
The sudden stress and overheating doesn't seem to have caused any obvious problems anyway as the amp is working away fine driving some cheapo speakers as I await the arrival of my new speakers.

The only thing niggling away at me is the amp is pushing ten years old now so what effect the stress may have on its lifespan only time will tell.
I think my own ticker may have came out worse for wear !

macdiddy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 03/09/2010 - 18:59
Posts: 802
I wouldn't worry....

about the fact your amp is nearly ten years old, imo older equipment was built to last, a couple of years back I brought a ten year old Naim cd player which has been serviced only once and is still working fine.

Music 2

 

drummerman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 18/01/2008 - 21:12
Posts: 8603
Alberich wrote:

Alberich wrote:

Appreciate the empathy fellas .
Thankfully the Cyrus seems to have come away from the event relatively unscathed.
The sudden stress and overheating doesn't seem to have caused any obvious problems anyway as the amp is working away fine driving some cheapo speakers as I await the arrival of my new speakers.

The only thing niggling away at me is the amp is pushing ten years old now so what effect the stress may have on its lifespan only time will tell.
I think my own ticker may have came out worse for wear !

Your amp has a protection circuit and will go into that mode before any damage is done.

It's easy to trip a Cyrus (or other similar rated ones) into cutting out with average sensitive stand mounts. It's not enough for lengthy loud party's.

You need 3 times that or sensitive floor standers.

A Naim Muso will likely go louder.

Alberich's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 15/03/2016 - 01:27
Posts: 154
..

drummerman wrote:

Alberich wrote:

Appreciate the empathy fellas .
Thankfully the Cyrus seems to have come away from the event relatively unscathed.
The sudden stress and overheating doesn't seem to have caused any obvious problems anyway as the amp is working away fine driving some cheapo speakers as I await the arrival of my new speakers.

The only thing niggling away at me is the amp is pushing ten years old now so what effect the stress may have on its lifespan only time will tell.
I think my own ticker may have came out worse for wear !

Your amp has a protection circuit and will go into that mode before any damage is done.

It's easy to trip a Cyrus (or other similar rated ones) into cutting out with average sensitive stand mounts. It's not enough for lengthy loud party's.

You need 3 times that or sensitive floor standers.

A Naim Muso will likely go louder.

I may be misreading your post but i wouldn't dream of using this amplifier for a party if that's what's being suggested.
Something tells me you haven't read my initial post condemning the lack of respect for audio equipment and referring to what the 'event' was.
If I'm completely misunderstanding you, then I apologise. Thanks for putting my mind at rest regarding the protection circuitry.

Gaz37's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 23/09/2014 - 19:35
Posts: 623
The cheek

I wouldn't dream of touching somebody else's kit during a demo, at least not a part that I'm not buying.
By all means ask them to turn it up/down/change the music whatever you need for a proper demo.
Shockingly rude.

Pioneer A656 Reference
Marantz CD63KI
Paradigm mini monitors/ B&W DM603
Total cost <£250

QuestForThe13thNote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 30/11/2012 - 20:49
Posts: 168
If someone did that to my

If someone did that to my system I think I'd ask them to leave on general principle. 

PMC twenty5 23 speakers. Cyrus electronics : DAC XP Signature pre/dac, Mono X200 signature power amps, stream x signature streamer, cd-t cd transport. Cables  : chord

 

Log in to post comments