796 posts / 0 new
Last post
acalex's picture
RE: Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

And today I plugged the graphite cables....and  :O

acalex's picture

Well...convinced by a friend who came over for a few days...I plugged today the graphite cables to a stone cold system. We played the some vinyl we played yesterday through the Siltech which was a Stockfish record, Sara K. - waterfalls. It was everything much bigger, wider and deeper. The dynamic range was increased and the bass more articulate. The acoustic gutiar was simply stunning but bever bright ot harsh. 

This is for sure a great cable and the best I have tried so far. Comparing this with the Siltech 330L is not probably a fair comparison as 2x2mt of graphite cost more than twice 2x2mt of 330L...

CnoEvil's picture

acalex wrote:

Well...convinced by a friend who came over for a few days...I plugged today the graphite cables to a stone cold system. We played the some vinyl we played yesterday through the Siltech which was a Stockfish record, Sara K. - waterfalls. It was everything much bigger, wider and deeper. The dynamic range was increased and the bass more articulate. The acoustic gutiar was simply stunning but bever bright ot harsh. 

This is for sure a great cable and the best I have tried so far. Comparing this with the Siltech 330L is not probably a fair comparison as 2x2mt of graphite cost more than twice 2x2mt of 330L...

I kept feeling that TQ should work really well in your system....it all comes down to what the improvement is worth. Sometimes it's very hard to go back.  :shifty:

- What is your findings re the DS with a power cord?

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

acalex's picture

The new personal league table is the following one

1. Tellurium Q Graphite = Impressive soundtage and focus, increased dynamics, plenty of details, very transparent = 100%

1. Siltech 330L = Transparent, detailed and very musical = 90%

2. TQ Ultra Black = Detailed, big dynamics, fast, not so musical as the Siltech = 85%

3. Vertere = Nice soundstage, not as trasparent as the others 2, nice imaging, less details. = 75%

CnoEvil's picture

acalex wrote:

1. Tellurium Q Graphite = Impressive soundtage and focus, increased dynamics, plenty of details, very transparent = 100%

2. TQ Ultra Black = Detailed, big dynamics, fast, not so musical as the Siltech = 85%

3. Vertere = Nice soundstage, not as trasparent as the others 2, nice imaging, less details. = 75%

Does this mean that the Graphite matches the "musicality" of the Siltech, but is better everywhere else?

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

acalex's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

Does this mean that the Graphite matches the "musicality" of the Siltech, but is better everywhere else?

So far yes, haven't add opportunity to have an extensive listening. It especially increased the dynamic range so I get more low frequencies now...but still very limited booming

But at 2.3 times the price I was kind of expecting that...for me the Siltech 330L is still the best VFM in terms of investement at this stage...

Roby's picture

acalex wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

So far yes, haven't add opportunity to have an extensive listening. It especially increased the dynamic range so I get more low frequencies now...but still very limited booming

But at 2.3 times the price I was kind of expecting that...for me the Siltech 330L is still the best VFM in terms of investement at this stage...

not shure thats true

if you compare full price of 2x2m 330l its 1340€

2x2m graphite is 2200€

but than if we are a day able to compare it to 770l thats 2x2m = 3700€...... :O

acalex's picture

Roby wrote:

acalex wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

not shure thats true

if you compare full price of 2x2m 330l its 1340€

2x2m graphite is 2200€

but than if we are a day able to compare it to 770l thats 2x2m = 3700€...... :O

Yes, you are right...I was comparing the prices WE have... Smile

If the guy can just drop a 20% I think he has got himself a deal...

CnoEvil's picture

I'm bringing our discussion back over here.

I have spoken to John Carrick (Atlas) this morning, and he said the press release that I linked to, is for an up-rated product that isn't released yet. This means that there is no MOV spike protection (it's done by a silver fuse), and no advanced low pass RF filter. I think he likes things as straightforward and simple as possible to maximize sound quality, which could be holding things up till they get it totally right.

I will shortly be assessing the effect it has, checking out their balanced mains transformer, as well as the Clearer Audio Block.

I am really glad you are trying everything you can get hold of.

paradiziac's picture

Reading with interest having compared TQ graphite v Siltech 550L RCA interconnects...

The TQ graphite was as Alex described, huge dynamic sound with tons of detail—lots of "air around the instruments". I was blown away initially but got tired of it.

For me the Siltech had beautiful highs and the way notes decayed and the overall tone of instruments just seemed "right" in a way that the TQ didn't—for me the TQ was more "hifi", but since I seem to be the only one to think this, it's obviously subjective Wink

acalex's picture

paradiziac wrote:

Reading with interest having compared TQ graphite v Siltech 550L RCA interconnects...

The TQ graphite was as Alex described, huge dynamic sound with tons of detail—lots of "air around the instruments". I was blown away initially but got tired of it.

For me the Siltech had beautiful highs and the way notes decayed and the overall tone of instruments just seemed "right" in a way that the TQ didn't—for me the TQ was more "hifi", but since I seem to be the only one to think this, it's obviously subjective Wink

I haven't listened to the 550L to be honest, and indeed is not fair to compare the graphite with the 330L. I need to run a "long session" with the graphite to make sure I also do not get tired of it... Smile

For now I am still a bit more on Siltech than Graphite for a few reasons (dealer, budget, upgrade path, etc...)

CnoEvil's picture

acalex wrote:

paradiziac wrote:

I haven't listened to the 550L to be honest, and indeed is not fair to compare the graphite with the 330L. I need to run a "long session" with the graphite to make sure I also do not get tired of it... Smile

For now I am still a bit more on Siltech than Graphite for a few reasons (dealer, budget, upgrade path, etc...)

In your case, the Jadis + SF will benefit from a lively clean cable (imo), as it tends to the darker / warmer side.

Roby's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

paradiziac wrote:

In your case, the Jadis + SF will benefit from a lively clean cable (imo), as it tends to the darker / warmer side.

I realiy think it depends of your set up

I mean in my case I has a wow effect really but a long listing session could be tiering so I was thinking might not be the best choice for me

But like said before y set is more attacking as alex's is more colorfull I think

An also have to say I suspected yhose cables where going to be a suberb match in alex's system here for

CnoEvil's picture

Roby wrote:

I realiy think it depends of your set up

I certainly think it does, which is why different approaches to construction need to be tried.

The two best cables I heard on the 35i / Refs, was the Atlas and the Cardas...hence my unsubtle pressure to try them.  :shifty:

Macspur's picture

Golden ref PC arrived yesterday... again it had a negative affect on the amp... SQ increased base, which is the last thing I need!  So tried it on CDP... no negative affect, but adversely no real positive affect either.

I should be receiving the SC's today, but I'm beginning to wonder if the SHL5's are just too big for my listening space.

Most of the time and at normal volume levels, 8 on the dial, SQ is sublime, but on certain recordings when turning it up to 9 then the boom starts.

Alternatively, I'll get this flooring ripped up, lay some cement down and tile over the top.

Getting a bit disheartened to be honest... really want these cable tweeks to work, but no point in just papering over cracks to only end up regretting it.

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Audiolab M-DAC+, Sonos Connect, Accuphase E470, Harbeth 40th Anniversary SHL5 Plus, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack, matching LS stands.

Pages