28 posts / 0 new
Last post
domnerus's picture
RE: Mission 751

I also bought them on ebay for £85, they sound great....top class

the record spot's picture

Good to hear they're doing the business!  Great speakers.  Total steal for the money these days.  

steven123's picture

Too bad I just missed the 75c center speaker for 40 pounds on an auction site:( They seem to be pretty rare.

PaulTuerena's picture

I think the problem is you are using great speakers that are showing up the weaknesses in your source/amplification.

MrT31's picture
Selling mission 751's

Hi. I found this thread on google, and appreciate it's a while since used. I wondered if some of you may be kind enough to help with below. 

I inherited a pair of Mahogany Mission 751 speakers around 10 years ago and used them initially with amp I also inherited before amp went kaput. So speakers have sat in storage for past 8 years +. I took them to Richer sounds today for soundtest partly with aim of seeing if still functional. If totally blown away with sound I had planned to invest in amp but if not to sell. It turned out to be the latter.......I found the sound v stunted and closed, not v full, overly bright treble and lacking bass. I notice some on this forum lauding sound and wonder therefore if speakers may be faulty. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed similar problems as 751's aged and if this means they are no longer usable. I don't want to sell if they are faulty. 

Thanks. 

nopiano's picture
MrT31 wrote:

MrT31 wrote:

Hi. I found this thread on google, and appreciate it's a while since used. I wondered if some of you may be kind enough to help with below. 

I inherited a pair of Mahogany Mission 751 speakers around 10 years ago and used them initially with amp I also inherited before amp went kaput. So speakers have sat in storage for past 8 years +. I took them to Richer sounds today for soundtest partly with aim of seeing if still functional. If totally blown away with sound I had planned to invest in amp but if not to sell. It turned out to be the latter.......I found the sound v stunted and closed, not v full, overly bright treble and lacking bass. I notice some on this forum lauding sound and wonder therefore if speakers may be faulty. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed similar problems as 751's aged and if this means they are no longer usable. I don't want to sell if they are faulty. 

Thanks. 

It's almost impossible to tell without hearing them, but the conditions in which they've been stored will have had an effect.  Damp is the worst, such as an outdoor garage or shed.  

Gravity can mean bass cones eventually sag, and some suggest undoing the drive units and rotating them 180 degrees, and re tightening.  Worth checking tightness generally.  In any case, I'd want to play them for a few hours, or even days, in a warm, dry room before deciding. 

No experience of owning your model, but I have a pair of 760is from about '93 that still work ok. 

Michell Tecnodec/Rega/Grado record player, Marantz SA14s1 SE SACD player, Primare I32 amp, Hitachi FT-5500 mark I and II tuners, Nakamichi ZX-7 cassette, SBTouch streamer, Chromecast audio, ATC SCM40 spkrs.

Pete Shields's picture
Great speakers.

Great speakers.

I bought a rosewood pair in I think 1993 and used them until 2 years ago. Never missed a beat. The replacement Tannoy Revolutions are more detailed but it has taken some getting used to and I'm still not 100% sure they're better - just different and I needed a change after 20 odd years....

I couldn't bring myself to sell them though as they are in great nick, so I've just bubble wrapped them up for a rainy day or my children's first hifi.

They need good stands though....

Audiolab M-Dac/M-Pwr/Sonos Connect & Cyrus 6s CD and a Pi with RuneAudio playing HD. Tannoy Rev DC6t Se's and Senn HD650's.

Sony STR-DN1040 receiver, Sony BRP 7200, Nvidia Shield Tv & Kodi and Tivo. And Bose 5.1 cubes.

drummerman's picture
Nice looking speakers but the

Nice looking speakers but the heavy polyprop cone is not the last word in transparency or speed and there are now better tweeters.

Perhaps preferable if modern speakers sound too explicit.

Despite a 75w maximum rating they are probably better with high current amplifiers.

MrT31's picture
Thanks nopiano. They've been

Thanks nopiano. They've been stored inside house and so damp shouldn't be issue. Since doing bit more reading it seems brightness may be due to metal dome tweeters, and have read elsewhere that often used as monitors which may be why sound is detailed without being full. This is me hoping not faulty! Def think running in good idea as not used for years. 

Another forum talked about dried up ferro-fluid also which suppose could be another issue. 

MrT31's picture
Known what you mean Pete.

Known what you mean Pete. They feel extremely well made and v heavy speakers.......hard to let go!!

MrT31's picture
When testing against Monitor

When testing against Monitor Audio B2's the 751's we actually more detailed but the B2's were far more open and balanced sound, more bass too. I also noticed that at higher volumes the 751's sounded v harsh and lost clarity. 

Was prob not testing with the best of amps but just a selection that Richer Sounds put out there. One was low end Cambridge Audio and think the 2nd was the CA Topaz SR20 at £399. 

Mission75's picture
Personally i think the 751

Personally i think the 751 probably did not partner well with the amps you listened to, also listening to the speakers at home will sound different to the shop.  I remember listening to my Mission 753s in the shop and was not impressed, the dealer let me take them home and the 753s are still with me 23 years later.  If you are looking for a simple integrated amplifier i would suggest a old Cyrus 3 not a 3i as they have different style of sound

Pages