65 posts / 0 new
Last post
fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 3440
dalethorn wrote:

dalethorn wrote:

fr0g wrote:

pauln wrote:

I don't recall ever having a "hiccup" in the 5 or 6 years I've been using Foobar to play flacs even when doing something as processor intensive as 3D Autocad. I do have a pretty high spec laptop though.

Conversely, I do get hiccups when I use Photoshop (as I do often). But that isn't really the point if we're simply talking about listening to music.

Playing back music on a dedicated player, or PC will exhibit zero audible difference when playing FLAC / WAV or whatever. Worrying about it is simple Hifi neurosis and is exactly why Charlatans get to sell things to Audiophiles at silly prices and why people insist on arguing about the invisible differences between wires and suchlike.

I'd suggest you take a class in Logic.  You should know that you cannot exclude what you're trying to exclude, i.e. "no audible difference exists".  That bit of BS has been used to sell "high fidelity" phonographs since 1903, and today we have learned that there are audible differences in everything.

Have we really? Have you a link for that nugget of misinformation perchance?

 

As for the class in logic, I think there must be a place reserved for you somewhere. There is proveably no audible difference between a player playing a FLAC or WAV. It's been demonstrated on any number of occaisions, not that it needs to be as logic, if used properly will tell you that pretty clearly. It isn't even a topic worth consideration at any level. 

 

 

 

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 2067
fr0g wrote:

fr0g wrote:

Have we really? Have you a link for that nugget of misinformation perchance?

yup, I'll second that.  Sources and references please, otherwise it's just hot air.

dalethorn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 07/12/2011 - 21:10
Posts: 2046
cheeseboy wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

fr0g wrote:

Have we really? Have you a link for that nugget of misinformation perchance?

yup, I'll second that.  Sources and references please, otherwise it's just hot air.

All you're doing is being argumentative.  You're not saying anything except being hostile.  What I said is that you cannot prove a negative, which is an absolute fact.  Now be good and go look that up - cannot prove a negative, i.e. that something absolutely does not exist.

Senal SMH1200, V-MODA Wireless2, Beats Studio3, Apple Airpods, DragonFly Red/Oppo HA2 DAC/amps, Lehmann Traveler amp.

dalethorn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 07/12/2011 - 21:10
Posts: 2046
Since you argumentative guys

Since you argumentative guys aren't able to do research, look up John Swenson and Barry Diament, credible researcher/engineers (unlike y'all) who know about these things.

Senal SMH1200, V-MODA Wireless2, Beats Studio3, Apple Airpods, DragonFly Red/Oppo HA2 DAC/amps, Lehmann Traveler amp.

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 2067
dalethorn wrote:

dalethorn wrote:

Since you argumentative guys aren't able to do research, look up John Swenson and Barry Diament, credible researcher/engineers (unlike y'all) who know about these things.

firstly, speaking for myself, I wasn't being argumentive.  you made a claim, so it's good grace to back it up with some evidence at the very least, otherwise we could all sit here all day making spurious claims and then saying whatever we liked.  Your own words, you said "and today we have learned that there are audible differences in everything."  All frog and I are asking for is something to back that statement up.  You never mentioned anything about proving a negative.

Secondly, as you have absolutely no idea what I do, how can you say for a fact that I (we) don't know about these things?  Just popping names out doesn't help anything.

fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 3440
dalethorn wrote:

dalethorn wrote:

Since you argumentative guys aren't able to do research, look up John Swenson and Barry Diament, credible researcher/engineers (unlike y'all) who know about these things.

Um.

Again, your logic is rather ironically flawed.

You are making a claim for something that is generally accepted as fact. In order to substantiate that claim, it is you who has the burden of proving it otherwise we can all simply carry on as if you hadn't made it.

Nobody is trying to prove a negative, but your comment highlighted earlier is clearly complete nonsense outside of existential philosophy.

 

pauln's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 5 days ago
Joined: 26/02/2008 - 13:10
Posts: 1259
Reading around a little bit,

Reading around a little bit, Barry Diament has very little credibility it seems and is actually regarded by many as a bit of a crackpot these days due to his increasingly ridiculous claims. Not just golden eared but diamond encrusted platinum ears.

fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 3440
pauln wrote:

pauln wrote:

Reading around a little bit, Barry Diament has very little credibility it seems and is actually regarded by many as a bit of a crackpot these days due to his increasingly ridiculous claims. Not just golden eared but diamond encrusted platinum ears.

Why does that not surprise me?

Reminds me bit of another WHF forumite(who shall remain anon) who is convinced the Earth is under 10K years old and once posted links to sites that "prove it".

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 14550
fr0g wrote:

fr0g wrote:

pauln wrote:

Reading around a little bit, Barry Diament has very little credibility it seems and is actually regarded by many as a bit of a crackpot these days due to his increasingly ridiculous claims. Not just golden eared but diamond encrusted platinum ears.

Why does that not surprise me?

Reminds me bit of another WHF forumite(who shall remain anon) who is convinced the Earth is under 10K years old and once posted links to sites that "prove it".

Alantiggger, although I think there's at least one other who thinks that.

fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 3440
The_Lhc wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

fr0g wrote:

pauln wrote:

Reading around a little bit, Barry Diament has very little credibility it seems and is actually regarded by many as a bit of a crackpot these days due to his increasingly ridiculous claims. Not just golden eared but diamond encrusted platinum ears.

Why does that not surprise me?

Reminds me bit of another WHF forumite(who shall remain anon) who is convinced the Earth is under 10K years old and once posted links to sites that "prove it".

***, although I think there's at least one other who thinks that.

Shame you named the person. I fear there are mental problems to be honest and I didn't want to say anything personal.

I do like a bit of argument, but when claims such as *** come along it's hard not to simply tear your hair out in amazement that people can be so stupid/ ignorant / gullible / whatever.

dalethorn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 07/12/2011 - 21:10
Posts: 2046
fr0g wrote:

fr0g wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

fr0g wrote:

pauln wrote:

Reading around a little bit, Barry Diament has very little credibility it seems and is actually regarded by many as a bit of a crackpot these days due to his increasingly ridiculous claims. Not just golden eared but diamond encrusted platinum ears.

Why does that not surprise me?

Reminds me bit of another WHF forumite(who shall remain anon) who is convinced the Earth is under 10K years old and once posted links to sites that "prove it".

***, although I think there's at least one other who thinks that.

Shame you named the person. I fear there are mental problems to be honest and I didn't want to say anything personal.

I do like a bit of argument, but when claims such as *** come along it's hard not to simply tear your hair out in amazement that people can be so stupid/ ignorant / gullible / whatever.

Well, speaking of emotional matters and issues, you have certainly exposed, umm - maybe that's not the right word, umm, explained yourself quite clearly.  Here I thought this was a serious headphone forum where I would get to help people, and you're turning it into your own personal issues rant platform.  I gave you all the info you needed in those two names, and all you can do is rant about the one and ignore the other.  That's really pathetic.

Senal SMH1200, V-MODA Wireless2, Beats Studio3, Apple Airpods, DragonFly Red/Oppo HA2 DAC/amps, Lehmann Traveler amp.

pauln's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 5 days ago
Joined: 26/02/2008 - 13:10
Posts: 1259
dalethorn wrote:

dalethorn wrote:

fr0g wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

fr0g wrote:

pauln wrote:

Reading around a little bit, Barry Diament has very little credibility it seems and is actually regarded by many as a bit of a crackpot these days due to his increasingly ridiculous claims. Not just golden eared but diamond encrusted platinum ears.

Why does that not surprise me?

Reminds me bit of another WHF forumite(who shall remain anon) who is convinced the Earth is under 10K years old and once posted links to sites that "prove it".

***, although I think there's at least one other who thinks that.

Shame you named the person. I fear there are mental problems to be honest and I didn't want to say anything personal.

I do like a bit of argument, but when claims such as *** come along it's hard not to simply tear your hair out in amazement that people can be so stupid/ ignorant / gullible / whatever.

Well, speaking of emotional matters and issues, you have certainly exposed, umm - maybe that's not the right word, umm, explained yourself quite clearly.  Here I thought this was a serious headphone forum where I would get to help people, and you're turning it into your own personal issues rant platform.  I gave you all the info you needed in those two names, and all you can do is rant about the one and ignore the other.  That's really pathetic.

Hardly a rant Dale. 

fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 3440
dalethorn wrote:

dalethorn wrote:

fr0g wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

fr0g wrote:

pauln wrote:

Reading around a little bit, Barry Diament has very little credibility it seems and is actually regarded by many as a bit of a crackpot these days due to his increasingly ridiculous claims. Not just golden eared but diamond encrusted platinum ears.

Why does that not surprise me?

Reminds me bit of another WHF forumite(who shall remain anon) who is convinced the Earth is under 10K years old and once posted links to sites that "prove it".

***, although I think there's at least one other who thinks that.

Shame you named the person. I fear there are mental problems to be honest and I didn't want to say anything personal.

I do like a bit of argument, but when claims such as *** come along it's hard not to simply tear your hair out in amazement that people can be so stupid/ ignorant / gullible / whatever.

Well, speaking of emotional matters and issues, you have certainly exposed, umm - maybe that's not the right word, umm, explained yourself quite clearly.  Here I thought this was a serious headphone forum where I would get to help people, and you're turning it into your own personal issues rant platform.  I gave you all the info you needed in those two names, and all you can do is rant about the one and ignore the other.  That's really pathetic.

If you say so dear.

No. I asked you for links for evidence for your claim that "everything is audibly different".

Telling me the names of 2 people is not that. The fact that someone else took the time to look one up and find he appears to be rather discredited is nothing to do with me. I have no intention of doing leg-work based on 2 random names to look for "evidence" that I know doesn't exist anyway.

Post some actual links to actual, scientific evidence to support your theory perhaps? 

 

As for headphone forum ? Well, it's a small category on a British Hi-fi and AV forum, yes. And there's nothing wrong with your advice. In general I'd say it was excellent, but any forum has posts that veer off on tangents. This is one. Not surprising really given the OT.

 

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 14550
fr0g wrote:

fr0g wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

fr0g wrote:

pauln wrote:

Reading around a little bit, Barry Diament has very little credibility it seems and is actually regarded by many as a bit of a crackpot these days due to his increasingly ridiculous claims. Not just golden eared but diamond encrusted platinum ears.

Why does that not surprise me?

Reminds me bit of another WHF forumite(who shall remain anon) who is convinced the Earth is under 10K years old and once posted links to sites that "prove it".

***, although I think there's at least one other who thinks that.

Shame you named the person. I fear there are mental problems to be honest and I didn't want to say anything personal.

I do like a bit of argument, but when claims such as *** come along it's hard not to simply tear your hair out in amazement that people can be so stupid/ ignorant / gullible / whatever.

I don't think alantiggger is ashamed of his views, quite the opposite. I don't know about mental health issues either, I do know he's deeply religious, which is where those "young earth" beliefs come from. You might think that constitutes a mental health problem but I couldn't possibly comment, despite not agreeing with him.

fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 3440
The_Lhc wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

fr0g wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

fr0g wrote:

pauln wrote:

Reading around a little bit, Barry Diament has very little credibility it seems and is actually regarded by many as a bit of a crackpot these days due to his increasingly ridiculous claims. Not just golden eared but diamond encrusted platinum ears.

Why does that not surprise me?

Reminds me bit of another WHF forumite(who shall remain anon) who is convinced the Earth is under 10K years old and once posted links to sites that "prove it".

***, although I think there's at least one other who thinks that.

Shame you named the person. I fear there are mental problems to be honest and I didn't want to say anything personal.

I do like a bit of argument, but when claims such as *** come along it's hard not to simply tear your hair out in amazement that people can be so stupid/ ignorant / gullible / whatever.

I don't think *** is ashamed of his views, quite the opposite. I don't know about mental health issues either, I do know he's deeply religious, which is where those "young earth" beliefs come from. You might think that constitutes a mental health problem but I couldn't possibly comment, despite not agreeing with him.

I know quite a few deeply religious people. Most are decent folk. Many are pretty intelligent.

But when ideas so outstandingly ridiculous as "young earth" are promoted you have to fear mental problems, surely?

If believing in £1000 HDMI cables is a 1 on the "gullible nutjob" scale, "young earth" is a 10. No scrap that, it's a resounding "But it goes up to 11!".

 

 

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments